Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gas pipe rust and paint

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 8:45:14 PM UTC-4, Bob F wrote:
On 10/17/2017 4:14 PM, Flash wrote:
replying to Greg O, Flash wrote:
I had black pipe rust right through and the power co. Turned my **** off,
don't tell me it don't rust!!!Â*Â*Â*Â* Just looking for a suggestion on how to
prevent it

If it's black pipe in the ground, the pipe and joints should be wrapped
with plumbers tape or some equivalent covering.

I believe code in many areas now requires that the coating be factory
applied, except at the joints, where it can be field applied. Trying
to coat/wrap pipe has always been problematic and as the poster has
already seen, iron gas pipe in the ground isn't a great idea, which
is why most work done now uses plastic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

this is a really old thread..About every 5 years my lines get rusty, so i paint them with rust converter paint and then green rust oleum. I look at this as a routine maintence issue. I paint the meter, regulator and lines. it helps to make them look good.

i tape over the meter area, so paint desnt obscure the dials
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

replying to Matt Whiting, J-Dawg wrote:
I think the idea is just to have the builder pay to have it brought up to code
if they didnt in the first place. Probably it was not required. But its a good
suggestion to check anyway.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...nt-560969-.htm