JTMcC

"Greg O" wrote in message

"JTMcC" wrote in message

That's just not possible, PE is legal for pressures under 99psi, all in

town
distribution systems have pipe pressures well over that, they have to
maintain volumn. Even a small town will have distribution mains running

200
to 500 psi. and from 2" up.
As far as services go, steel services run off steel mains and PE services
run off of PE mains.
Maybe you haven't seen them, but there are quite a few steel lines in
your
area.
You just can't run an entire dist. system with pressures under 99 psi.
Especially in the winter.
All this goes out the window if you are in Mexico, Gautamala, ect. But in
the U.S. it will hold true.

JTMcC.

Not going to argue with you, been there, seen them bury and connect mains.
I was told by the utility that they run 50 psi in the mains, I have seen
them run 2" and 4" poly. I know they have larger lines.
Greg
Greg

There is a large difference between "been there seen them do it", and "this
is what I do for a living. A large part of our business is building gas
lines, big and small. Like I said, we weld gas lines from 3/4" to 36", 2 psi
to well over 1000.
As for 50 psi in a main, a natural gas distribution system can be fairly
complicated but the bone head version is this: The closer you get to the end
of a particular line, the lower the pressure and the smaller the pipe. So to
say a system runs at 50 psi is like saying my truck goes 50 mph, it does,
sometimes. Many times it doesn't. The pressure in a particular line will
vary at different times of the year, utilities bump it up come winter.
I'm not going to argue with you either, you seem to be the archtypical
internet expert, "I seen it done!" Good for you, but you are putting out
miss information and anyone working in this field knows it.

JTMcC.