Matt Whiting

Jeff Six wrote:
When my house was built (about three years ago), the builders
neglected to paint the gas pipe on my side of my meter and that pipe
has now developed a nice coat of surface rust (it's normal black gas
pipe). The pipe on the gas company's side of the meter was painted and
looks the same as when I moved in.

(1) Is the rust/rusty color a problem and something I should correct?
The rest of the houses on my street (built during the past 1-5 years)
are in a similar situation.

(2) I assume that I should paint over the rusty-looking pipe so it
doesn't corode or develop into a problem. What is the appropiate paint
to use here?

Thanks.

The only real problem is cosmetic, however, a couple of coats of
Rustoleum can't hurt. Just make sure you wire brush and/or sand the
pipe thoroughly before priming and painting.

Matt