Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

Kids are on spring break so I changed their oil & filters.

Bought Costco oil but to my surprise they no longer sell dino juice.
Bought Mobil 1 oil filters at Walmart but they also had no dino juice.
Went to O'Reillys but their conventional was more expensive than synthetic.

I had Costco look up who had conventional oil and it turns out they
discounted their last cases of Chevron 10W30 SN & 10W40 SN conventional oils
to $9.97/10 quarts more than a year ago and haven't sold any conventional
motor oils since then at any Costco in my area.

Huh?
Since when is conventional oil hard to find in bulk?
Is this a new thing?

I'm not complaining or even asking whether the $25/10 quarts Kirkland fully
synthetic 5W30 SP oil is good or not as I know all about synthetic oil
advantages & disadvantages over conventional gasoline engine motor oils.

I'm just asking if you've also found it hard to find conventional oil by the
case at good prices (which means at your local Costco or department store)?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 1:50:40 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
[...]

My VW came with dire warnings not to put anything but the recommended dealer oil in. But it's new enough not to leak down, so not a worry for a while.

Conventional and synthetic oils both start with the same raw dino juice though. The only difference is in the refining. Both have a range of different molecular weight oils, but the synthetic has a much tighter range.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2021 1:50 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

If it meets the required API spec, it's good enough for me.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B07C5FF8RG

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 12:42:26 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

[...]

Except for the synthetics that use natural gas - and even vegetable
oil - for their feed stock. Or oven is some cases - like in South
Africa - COAL.
Most true synthetic engine oils have NO petroleum base - they are
totally manufactured PAO base stocks.

PAO fluids are classified as a Group IV base oil and are made by a
two-step reaction process using linear alpha-olefins like 1-decene.
The first step is the synthesis of oligomers (polymers with few
repeating monomer units) from the linear alpha-olefin. The second step
is the hydrogenation of the remaining double bonds (unsaturation) in
the oligomer and subsequent distillation to separate the unreacted
monomer and light-viscosity grade PAO.
Low-viscosity PAO fluids are used in automotive applications, such as
engine oil and gear lubricants. High-viscosity PAO fluids have also
become popular in industrial fluids and greases. Since PAO fluids are
synthetic hydrocarbons, they are compatible with and often combined
with mineral-based oils.

(from
https://www.powermag.com/understandi...ed-lubricants/)
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
[...]

Stores here have lots of dino oil.
However, with full syn at $3 per qt and dino at $2.50 per qt I always
get full syn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 16:02:53 -0400, Bubba Smollett
wrote:

On 3/22/2021 1:50 PM, mike wrote:
[...]

Here in Canada they still carry Castrol GTX conventional oil along
with Castrol Edge and Kirkland Signature synthetics.
Walmart still carries Valvoline conventional motor oil up here. as
well as Shell SuperTech and PenzoilYellow and Castrol GTX (which is
also listed on the American site)

Home Despot carries the Penzoil Yellow conventional oil as well -
Then there are the numerous "synthetic blend"oils which have a
conventional base "enhanced" with synthetic components.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 23:20:33 +0530, mike
wrote:

[...]

Rural King still had it the last time I was there and it is cheaper
than all of those places. .

http://www.ruralkingsupply.com/produ...t2=15&cat3=102
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 1:50:40 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:

I'm not complaining or even asking whether the $25/10 quarts Kirkland fully
synthetic 5W30 SP oil is good or not as I know all about synthetic oil
advantages & disadvantages over conventional gasoline engine motor oils.

I'm just asking if you've also found it hard to find conventional oil by the
case at good prices (which means at your local Costco or department store)?

My VW came with dire warnings not to put anything but the recommended dealer oil in. But it's new enough not to leak down, so not a worry for a while.

Conventional and synthetic oils both start with the same raw dino juice though. The only difference is in the refining. Both have a range of different molecular weight oils, but the synthetic has a much tighter range.

Synthetics are superior to conventional oils. I've witnessed testing
and the difference is amazing. The test i saw showed a small engine
seizing on conventional oil at 5000 rpm but would run forever on
synthetic at 8000 rpm.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:58:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I really think people obsess about oil. Cars are scrapped for a dozen
other reason long before they fail from a failure related to the oil.
If you are using any genuine API rated oil suitable for your engine
and change it occasionally your engine will outlast the car at least
as much as the oil would affect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

You don't even need to change the oil or filter necessarily. My 73 VW
Golf/Rabbit used quite a bit of oil so I just kept adding more as required.
That car lasted me for 45 years and even then, the only reason I stopped
using it was because the floor eventually rusted thru because I was stupid
enough to not fix the known windscreen leak that produced a wet floor
after heavy rain, the car lives outside, not in a garage or carport. Never
did show any sign of engine wear, we did emissions testing of the
exhaust every year for rego renewal here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 16:49:01 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 12:41:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I think you're probably right about that. I'm more concerned about the
transmissions that are now sealed for life. They never leak? If they do,
what happens? I guess you'd notice it on the garage floor so you could
fix it before disaster. But if it's a vehicle parked outside? AFAIK there
is no sensor to warn of low fluid either. Funny, the BMW has a sensor
to warn if the 8 qt engine is running low, but AFAIK, nothing to warn if
the tranny is running dry.

Then there are the fanatics that change synthetic oil every 5K miles or less,
that change the tranny, differential fluid and antifreeze every 20K miles and
only use the official dealer fluid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:08:50 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Then there are the fanatics that change synthetic oil every 5K miles or less,
that change the tranny, differential fluid and antifreeze every 20K miles and
only use the official dealer fluid.

I have a friend who drives older vehicles.

Every time he changes his oil, he also pulls the plug on the coolant and the transmission fluid. He doesn't drop the pan or make an effort to get all the fluids out, but he replaces the amount that did drain, and figures about every third times he's replaced it.

It seems to work for him, he gets a lot out of older vehicles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/23/2021 10:42 AM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:08:50 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Then there are the fanatics that change synthetic oil every 5K miles or less,
that change the tranny, differential fluid and antifreeze every 20K miles and
only use the official dealer fluid.

I have a friend who drives older vehicles.

Every time he changes his oil, he also pulls the plug on the coolant and the transmission fluid. He doesn't drop the pan or make an effort to get all the fluids out, but he replaces the amount that did drain, and figures about every third times he's replaced it.

It seems to work for him, he gets a lot out of older vehicles.

Scotty Kilmer is fond of saying, "Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.
Change your oil frequently."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 05:08:46 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

You figure out when an automatic is low right away, It won't shift
right and if it gets low enough it won't go at all.
Manual trans, not so much. You just have to see the oil spot where you
park. Back when it was 90w, you could smell it. Now they use ATF.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 22-03-2021 22:36 Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Stores here have lots of dino oil.

Did you check your local Costco?

They showed me the green screen of their inventory.
All the Costco wearhouses around me long ago discontinued dino juice.

Maybe it's just Costco that stopped selling bulk dino juice?
https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article , mike wrote:
On 22-03-2021 22:36 Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Stores here have lots of dino oil.

Did you check your local Costco?

There are other stores in this world besides Costco.
--scott

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 23-03-2021 17:55 Scott Dorsey wrote:

Did you check your local Costco?

There are other stores in this world besides Costco.

Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

What matters for motor oil that is frequently changed is only three things
(1) price
(2) API quality (but it's really hard to find poor quality oil anyways)
(3) Viscosity range (which itself only matters most in the extremes)

Conventional SN has to be about half the price to compete with SP synthetic
(because synthetic lasts about twice as long and is a bit slipperier too).

I bought the one case of API SP fully synthetic 5W30 because I needed it but
I generally buy a few cases when Costco gasoline motor oil goes on sale.

If we assume Costco sale pricing will perhaps be around $2 per quart for
full synthetic API SP motor oil (of varying viscosity ranges) then the
comparison price for the API SN dino juice has to be about $1 per quart.

At anything more than about $1 per quart the dino juice won't be worth it.
It does't matter what store.

All that matters for motor oil that is frequently changed is price & API
quality & viscosity range - and not the store from which you bought it.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On 22-03-2021 22:36 Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Stores here have lots of dino oil.

Did you check your local Costco?

They showed me the green screen of their inventory.
All the Costco wearhouses around me long ago discontinued dino juice.

Maybe it's just Costco that stopped selling bulk dino juice?
https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html

I don't go to Costco.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 00:00:07 +0530, mike
wrote:

On 23-03-2021 17:55 Scott Dorsey wrote:

Did you check your local Costco?

There are other stores in this world besides Costco.

Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

Rural King kicks their ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 23-03-2021 01:10 Francis S wrote:

Still easy to find conventional oil in the middle of Minnesota.
Personally I've been a synthetic fan for years though.

Yes but can you find it at your local Costco or at around $2.50/quart?

BTW, the Kirkland fully synthetic 5W30 motor oil I bought is API SP
(although this heating/cooling test showed some models are API SN Plus)
https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=219

They tested the oil for a bunch of things that matter for motor oil.

They heated it. They cooled it. They looked for wear scars in bearings.
And they ran it in an engine & sent it out for chemical testing.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 22-03-2021 17:32 Bubba Smollett wrote:

If it meets the required API spec, it's good enough for me.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B07C5FF8RG

According to this video all three of these oils are the same
(and all three are definitely made by the same manufacturer)
https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=668

Amazon Basics
Supertech
Kirkland fully synthetic

They're all the same oil made by Warren Distribution in Omaha Nebraska.

Not only does it meet the API SP specification but it also meets
Dexos 1 Generation 2 approval (which I'm not yet sure what that is).
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 23-03-2021 21:24 Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I don't go to Costco.

Where do you get full synthetic oil at API SP quality for ~$2.50/quart?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 24-03-2021 06:18 wrote:

Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

Rural King kicks their ass.

I don't know of "Rural King" but google does.
https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/prod...at3=102&page=2

Rural King seems like a fantastic place for variety.

They even have 55 gallon containers of the stuff!
https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/item.php?id=10885

I don't see prices though so it's hard to compare with Costco's $2.50/qt.

BTW, notice this guy (who clearly knows motor oil) shakes the container!
https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=546

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
On 23-03-2021 21:24 Paul in Houston TX wrote:

I don't go to Costco.

Where do you get full synthetic oil at API SP quality for ~$2.50/quart?

I get mine at Walmart for ~$3.10 per qt.
Nearest Walmart is 0.5 miles and Costco 4 miles away.
I'm not really concerned about saving $3.00 once a year. Plus I make a
list and get other things while at Walmart that they don't have at
Costco. I get the oil filters at an auto parts. There are 5 auto parts
within 1 mile.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 24-03-2021 02:03 Paul in Houston TX wrote:

Where do you get full synthetic oil at API SP quality for ~$2.50/quart?

I get mine at Walmart for ~$3.10 per qt.

Thanks for answering that as I also tried Walmart but found, like you did,
that the prices are higher than at Costco (even before Costco sales).

I get the oil filters at an auto parts.

Nice thing about Auto Parts Stores is they have a choice of brands.
Wix (aka Napa Gold) seems to fare well when people cut them open.

At Walmart the Fram always fares poorly (cardboard tops & bottoms).

The Mobil 1, K&N and even the low cost SuperTech store brand come out
differentially depending greatly on the point of view of the reviewer.

At parts stores the Bosch (aka Purolater, Boss) come out ok with the AC
Delco being not much lower in build quality (lots of these are made by the
same outfits as can be seen by the exact construction in the tear downs).

As with oil, with frequent oil changes the filter paper itself matters less.
Even so I try to find 20 micron (not 30 micron) 99% efficiency filters.
It's harder to find coil overpressure springs than plastic (or none at all).
Usually orange anti-drainback valves are silicone (versus nitrile black).

What do you look for?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 10:45:21 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:08:50 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Then there are the fanatics that change synthetic oil every 5K miles or less,
that change the tranny, differential fluid and antifreeze every 20K miles and
only use the official dealer fluid.

I have a friend who drives older vehicles.

Every time he changes his oil, he also pulls the plug on the coolant and the transmission fluid. He doesn't drop the pan or make an effort to get all the fluids out, but he replaces the amount that did drain, and figures about every third times he's replaced it.

It seems to work for him, he gets a lot out of older vehicles.

I carry a amethyst stone for protection from tigers. It seems to work for me,
I haven't been attacked by any tigers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 2:30:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
[...]

$2 a qt? I buy Mobil one there and it's nowhere near that cheap, even when
on sale. As I recall it's more like $25 for six, $4+ a qt.

At anything more than about $1 per quart the dino juice won't be worth it.
It does't matter what store.

All that matters for motor oil that is frequently changed is price & API
quality & viscosity range - and not the store from which you bought it.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 24-03-2021 07:40 trader_4 wrote:

$2 a qt? I buy Mobil one there and it's nowhere near that cheap, even when
on sale. As I recall it's more like $25 for six, $4+ a qt.

The normal price of the Kirkland 5W30 API SP synthetic is $2.50/quart
($25/10 quarts) although this lookup just now shows it at $30/10 quarts.
https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html

The Mobil 1 is $42/10 quarts which is appreciably more for essentially the
same spec (Kirkland is blended in Omaha Nebraska by Warren Distribution).

Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 03/24/2021 05:14 AM, mike wrote:
Nice thing about Auto Parts Stores is they have a choice of brands.
Wix (aka Napa Gold) seems to fare well when people cut them open.

I use either one. It's hard to explain without a picture but the Wix
base plate is punched and threaded from the outside, while some are from
the inside. The former are easier to get started. With the Toyota I'm
reaching down from the top and screwing the filter on blind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

mike writes:
On 24-03-2021 07:40 trader_4 wrote:

$2 a qt? I buy Mobil one there and it's nowhere near that cheap, even when
on sale. As I recall it's more like $25 for six, $4+ a qt.

The normal price of the Kirkland 5W30 API SP synthetic is $2.50/quart
($25/10 quarts) although this lookup just now shows it at $30/10 quarts.
https://www.costco.com/motor-oil.html

Note that costco on-line prices are often much higher
than in-store prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:41:47 +0530, mike posted for all of us to digest...

On 24-03-2021 06:18 wrote:

Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

Rural King kicks their ass.

I don't know of "Rural King" but google does.
https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/prod...at3=102&page=2

Rural King seems like a fantastic place for variety.

They even have 55 gallon containers of the stuff!
https://www.ruralkingsupply.com/item.php?id=10885

I don't see prices though so it's hard to compare with Costco's $2.50/qt.

BTW, notice this guy (who clearly knows motor oil) shakes the container!
https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=546

Hey Arlen, have you tried Dollar General? They have cheap dino juice.

--
Tekkie
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 07:43:27 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

On 03/24/2021 05:14 AM, mike wrote:
Nice thing about Auto Parts Stores is they have a choice of brands.
Wix (aka Napa Gold) seems to fare well when people cut them open.

I use either one. It's hard to explain without a picture but the Wix
base plate is punched and threaded from the outside, while some are from
the inside. The former are easier to get started. With the Toyota I'm
reaching down from the top and screwing the filter on blind.

I bought my Toy filters from the dealer by the case for a great price and
included the crush washer in them.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:03:08 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

wrote:

[...]

Harvest King oil... Well, I be gol danged. Does it have fiber?

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 00:41:14 -0400, posted for all of us to
digest...

[...]

+1 I guess Clare could give an idea about oil related destruction. I think the
problem spot on engines now is the VVT mechanism. As on SNL "We will pump you
up"

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:50:25 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

On 3/23/2021 10:42 AM, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 8:08:50 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

Then there are the fanatics that change synthetic oil every 5K miles or less,
that change the tranny, differential fluid and antifreeze every 20K miles and
only use the official dealer fluid.

I have a friend who drives older vehicles.

Every time he changes his oil, he also pulls the plug on the coolant and the transmission fluid. He doesn't drop the pan or make an effort to get all the fluids out, but he replaces the amount that did drain, and figures about every third times he's replaced it.

It seems to work for him, he gets a lot out of older vehicles.

Scotty Kilmer is fond of saying, "Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.
Change your oil frequently."

Sorry Frank, I don't consider him a reliable source. He has a point there but
his comments on other issues leave a lot to be desired. If he were the "Ruler
of the Cars" one would only be allowed to have a Toyota.

--
Tekkie
Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021 09:30:13 +0530, mike posted for all of us to digest...

On 22-03-2021 17:32 Bubba Smollett wrote:

If it meets the required API spec, it's good enough for me.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B07C5FF8RG

According to this video all three of these oils are the same
(and all three are definitely made by the same manufacturer)
https://youtu.be/l9il_piyuT8?t=668

Amazon Basics
Supertech
Kirkland fully synthetic

They're all the same oil made by Warren Distribution in Omaha Nebraska.

Not only does it meet the API SP specification but it also meets
Dexos 1 Generation 2 approval (which I'm not yet sure what that is).

Thank you Arlen, why don't you inform us what this spec details?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2021 4:38 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:50:25 -0400, Frank posted for all of us to digest...

Scotty Kilmer is fond of saying, "Oil is cheap, engines are expensive.
Change your oil frequently."

Sorry Frank, I don't consider him a reliable source. He has a point there but
his comments on other issues leave a lot to be desired. If he were the "Ruler
of the Cars" one would only be allowed to have a Toyota.

I can't stand to listen to him more than 20 seconds. Can't imagine
having to spend more than a few minutes with him at work every day.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oil is oil. I understand Citgo makes their oil.