Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Conventional oil hard to find?

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 2:30:14 PM UTC-4, mike wrote:
On 23-03-2021 17:55 Scott Dorsey wrote:

Did you check your local Costco?

There are other stores in this world besides Costco.

Do those other stores match Costco sale prices?

What matters for motor oil that is frequently changed is only three things
(1) price
(2) API quality (but it's really hard to find poor quality oil anyways)
(3) Viscosity range (which itself only matters most in the extremes)

Conventional SN has to be about half the price to compete with SP synthetic
(because synthetic lasts about twice as long and is a bit slipperier too).

I bought the one case of API SP fully synthetic 5W30 because I needed it but
I generally buy a few cases when Costco gasoline motor oil goes on sale.

If we assume Costco sale pricing will perhaps be around $2 per quart for
full synthetic API SP motor oil (of varying viscosity ranges) then the
comparison price for the API SN dino juice has to be about $1 per quart.

$2 a qt? I buy Mobil one there and it's nowhere near that cheap, even when
on sale. As I recall it's more like $25 for six, $4+ a qt.

At anything more than about $1 per quart the dino juice won't be worth it.
It does't matter what store.

All that matters for motor oil that is frequently changed is price & API
quality & viscosity range - and not the store from which you bought it.