Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time for a new mower...

Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not
even self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG.
Obviously, something broke inside, valve, connecting rod,
not sure what. After nearly a quarter-century of service I
guess it's time for something new. I don't have the
facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth paying
to get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

My needs:
- mulch mower (I do leaves with it, too)
- self-propelled (I'm gettin' old, nearing 70!)
- maybe electric start (is it worth it, those of you who
have it?)

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were
so-so about one of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's
generally available at Home Depot, etc.

I might still consider it, but I'd like to hear what others
might have to say.
Should I consider other brands?
Toro?
Husqvarna? (sp)
etc.?

What say you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2017 9:05 PM, John Albert wrote:
[...]

I bought my Honda from a Honda dealer, not HD so it may be different.
I like it. That said, I've not used the other brands so I have no idea
how they compare. I don't think you'd go wrong with any of th major
brands.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/17 8:05 PM, John Albert wrote:
Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not even
self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG. Obviously, something broke
inside, valve, connecting rod, not sure what. After nearly a
quarter-century of service I guess it's time for something new. I don't
have the facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth paying to
get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

My needs:
- mulch mower (I do leaves with it, too)
- self-propelled (I'm gettin' old, nearing 70!)
- maybe electric start (is it worth it, those of you who have it?)

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were so-so about one
of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's generally available at Home Depot,
etc.

Consumer Reports has a couple Best Buys for mulchers.
HondaHRR216VKA $430 rear wheel drive
ToroRecycler 20332 $360 rear wheel drive, Honda engine
Both are multi speed.
Single speed Best Buys:
ToroSMARTSTOW 20339 $350 front wheel drive, big back wheels, Briggs
engine
Toro20377 $300 front wheel drive, looks
like regular sized
wheels, Kohler engine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/09/2017 07:05 PM, John Albert wrote:
I might still consider it, but I'd like to hear what others might have
to say.
Should I consider other brands?

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tr...-tb130-xp-2017

It has a Honda engine and does a good job of mulching grass and leave in
the fall. TroyBilt does make a self-propelled that I may consider when I
get old, like 80. (nearing 70 in a matter of months).

My highly refined selection process -- I grew up near Troy and was
familiar with TroyBilt rototillers. I think the lawnmower is actually
made, or assembled as the case may be, in Alabama now.

It starts with one pull which is pretty light compared to some pull
starts I've used. A self-propelled with a bigger engine might be a
different story but then you've got to mess around with batteries. Using
a tender in the winter will add to the battery life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 21:05:57 -0400, John Albert
wrote:

[...]

whatever brand ypu buy, do not buy the cheapest or most expensive.
Don't buy from Home Despot - buy a Honda from your local Honda
equipment dealer, or a Toro from your Toro dealer, or a Husky from
your Husky dealer. Again, don't (generally speaking) buy their
cheapest unless the dealer tells you there are lower priced models but
he won't carry them, or won't recommend them, and will only sell them
if at all, if you insist - then perhaps buy the cheapest he
recommends. Tes, you MIGHT buy cheaper from the BORG - you MIGHT get
the same product, but I can almost guarantee it won't be properly
assembled, and you'll get NO service of any sort. Support your dealer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John,

I created a thread least month with subject:
"Consumer grade self-propelled lawn mowers, and review : )",
using From field: "Bill".

It may save you a bit of "rediscovery". Good luck!

BTW, the Honda is only one I recall, among the mowers I looked at, that
specifically said it did "leaves". I would like to buy a Honda
(HRR...) after they get that possible carburetor problem worked out.

Bill

John Albert wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In addition to the Best Buys, Consumer Reports has their
recommended mowers.
The top five are Hondas: HRX2175VYA, HRX2175VKA, HRX2175VLA, HRR216VYA,
HRR216VLA.
Numbers 6 and 7 on their list are Toros:
Super Recycler 20381, Super Recycler 20382
The next 6 are Hondas or Toros. One has to get all the way to #14
before finding something that isn't either Honda or Toro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I've got a Honda, self propelled, 8 yrs. use now. Very happy with it.
Only had serviced once mainly to lube an area I had no idea how to get
to. I agree with others to avoid the big box stores although a dealer
may charge more he should have it all set up and ready to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 22:03:33 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

[...]

And be well advised to look carefully at the details - not just
the "name" on the mower. My " Toro Recycler " had a B&S engine
and was very prone to annoying clog-ups and the deck rusted out
prematurely. The B&S engine was still quite good when I tossed it.
It was not the self-propelled model.
I replaced it with an old Jacobsen from an auction sale for $ 25.
and I really like it - aluminum deck; ~ 4 hp B&S Quantum; 1 pull
starts it ; no safety handle/bar ; ..while it meets my needs - it
meets none of your needs ...
I have never liked the extra weight of self-proprlled - my mowing
is not 100 % straight ahead - a lot of back & forth areas - where
I do not want to be pulling the extra weight. nor any extra
maintenance / repair issues over the years.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/17 11:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not
even self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG.
Obviously, something broke inside, valve, connecting rod,
not sure what. After nearly a quarter-century of service I
guess it's time for something new. I don't have the
facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth paying
to get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were
so-so about one of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's
generally available at Home Depot, etc.

Try to stay away from HD and Lowes anad such. Go to a local dealer.
The box stores usually have the less expensive lines. Even if not that,
if there is any problem with the mower you can get it serviced much
better at the dealer while it is under warrenty.

Beg to differ...if the less expensive model meets your needs and gets
the job done for you, why pay more for bells and whistles you don't care
about?

As for warranty service convenience...that's pretty much a non-issue. I
mean when was the last time you heard about a leaf blower/chain saw/lawn
mower, etc., needing service during the one-year warranty period?

At my local HD, if you sweet-talk one of the good ole' girls on the
customer service desk, they'll usually take the broken one back and give
you a nice new one-- with another year's warranty!

--
The grass isn't greener on the other side; it's greener where you water it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/17 7:42 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

All set up and ready to go? Come on now, how hard is it to extend the
folded mower handle and tighten the bolts!! Besides, if you haven't got
a pick-up truck, how are you going to get an assembled mower home ;-)

--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/17 10:13 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

What say you?

whatever brand ypu buy, do not buy the cheapest or most expensive.
Don't buy from Home Despot - buy a Honda from your local Honda
equipment dealer, or a Toro from your Toro dealer, or a Husky from
your Husky dealer. Again, don't (generally speaking) buy their
cheapest unless the dealer tells you there are lower priced models but
he won't carry them, or won't recommend them, and will only sell them
if at all, if you insist - then perhaps buy the cheapest he
recommends. Tes, you MIGHT buy cheaper from the BORG - you MIGHT get
the same product, but I can almost guarantee it won't be properly
assembled, and you'll get NO service of any sort. Support your dealer.

I made a mistake about 10 years ago and went to a dealer for John Deere
to buy a mower. They were selling the same one as the local Lowes did.
Good thing I bought it at the dealer as the switch in the seat was
messed up and it would only run for about 100 feet before cutting off.
They came out and took it back and replaced the seat.

Where I messed up was that was the low end mower made for Lowes and such
, even though it was over 2 times the price of the low end brands like
Murry. Found out later when my transaxel went out that was a common
problem at around 300 hours of the mower.

Typical homeowner averages maybe six cut per month max, five month
cutting season, an hour per cut so you're looking at about 30 hours per
year of mower use.

It'll take 10 years to hit that 300 fail point, well past any warranty
benefit!

--
If its true that women are actually paid less than men in the
workplace, why are employers not firing all the men and only hiring only
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 10:10:06 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I had a Honda Harmony HRM215. It was the best mower I ever had from
the standpoint of giving the best mulching cut and being quiet.
They used a double mulching blade, one on top of the other. It cut
up the grass very fine, it practically disappeared and the cut result
was the best I've ever seen.

On the downside, while I did get about ten years out of it, the
transmission failed. I took it apart, unbelievable amount of
disassembly required, all kinds of small parts, bushings, snap rings
etc to take it off. The main bearing had worn out. It was $130
at the time for a new one. I probably would have paid that, but then
there was the whole re-assembly mess. I've done a lot of work on
all kinds of eqpt, but wasn't looking forward to that mess and getting
it right. So, I bought a replacement Craftsman for $160 that someone
was selling new, locally. It's still running fine. It doesn't cut
anywhere as nice as the Honda, it's much noisier. On the plus side,
it has more power to go through tough grass. And after about 5 years,
the propulsion on it failed too. I investigated, the end of the
tensioning spring had broken off and it was right there behind one
cover with two screws. Put a cable tie on it and it's been working
again ever since. Another difference, that Honda had a tranny with
3 speeds. The Craftsman has a variable speed drive, with a simple
belt that slips. I like the latter much better, you can exactly match
the speed you want. With the Honda, I only used one speed that was
as close as I could get to the typical speed I wanted.

The Honda machine was designed better. For example the wheels had
real bearings. The Craftsman, the plastic wheels just rotate around
the steel shafts. Of course the difference is that the Honda cost
a lot more. I got lucky, I found it at HD at the end of the season
so I got a good deal. But normally, it was probably twice the price
of a Craftsman if you bought them at regular price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/10/2017 09:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
All set up and ready to go? Come on now, how hard is it to extend the
folded mower handle and tighten the bolts!! Besides, if you haven't got
a pick-up truck, how are you going to get an assembled mower home ;-)

There are some very complex things that have to be done. For example,
connecting the safety bar and linkage once you have extended the handle
and putting the provided oil in the crankcase. Then there are the hard
decisions like do you want to remove the rear plug and install the bag,
remove the side plug, or leave both mulching plugs in place. Then you
have to find the gas filler and fuel it up. The hardest part was chewing
my way into the box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2017 11:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/10/17 7:42 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

That's not a problem but mower came with oil and gas and was started and
checked by shop that sold it. I almost bought it at HD but no clerk was
around to discuss with. I actually traded in 2 old Lawnboys that would
not start where I bought the Honda. No problem with my Subaru Forester
to carry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The self propelled feature adds very little weight to my ancient
Yazoo BigWheel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 10:13:35 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

[...]

You bought thecheep riding lawn mower instead of rhe better lawn
tractor, or the better yet garden tractor, or best, their "compact
tractor" JD cheapened their brand by putting their name on cheap crap
to meet a pricepoint for the "mass merchandizers" It's biting them in
the butt in a BIG way right now. Has almost killed Ariens too. Cub
Cadet not far behind, alonf with Bolens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:32:56 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

[...]

Because it's not bells and whistles we are talking about. We are
talking about QUALITY. Some of the more expensive, better quality
stuff actually has FEWER bells and whistles. There is blinged out
crap, and there is good quality base, and there is commercial grade,
in order of quality.

As for warranty service convenience...that's pretty much a non-issue. I
mean when was the last time you heard about a leaf blower/chain saw/lawn
mower, etc., needing service during the one-year warranty period?

Go in to the dealers and look at what they are working on.****
happens.

At my local HD, if you sweet-talk one of the good ole' girls on the
customer service desk, they'll usually take the broken one back and give
you a nice new one-- with another year's warranty!

and it won't be properly assembled either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 12:54:54 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...

On 7/10/17 10:13 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Where I messed up was that was the low end mower made for Lowes and such
, even though it was over 2 times the price of the low end brands like
Murry. Found out later when my transaxel went out that was a common
problem at around 300 hours of the mower.

Typical homeowner averages maybe six cut per month max, five month
cutting season, an hour per cut so you're looking at about 30 hours per
year of mower use.

It'll take 10 years to hit that 300 fail point, well past any warranty
benefit!

Not talking warrenty,but how long something lasts. I mow for about 2
hours at a time with a 48 inch cut mower. The mowing season is a bit
longer where I am. Say 50 hours per year, that 300 hours is 6 years. A
mower that costs over $ 2000 should last longer than that. Especially
when buy what I thought was a major brand name like John Deere, and not
low end like a Murry.

When I lived at a smaller place I had a riding Murry that lasted for
almost 20 years and only got rid of it when I moved as it was not large
enough to mow the larger yard.
Only problems with that was replacing a few belts and keeping the tires
pumped up. I did service both mowers every year as recommended by the
factory as far as oil, lube and filter changes.

You can make a pretty safe bet a NEW murry won't last that long - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:29:20 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

You bought thecheep riding lawn mower instead of rhe better lawn
tractor, or the better yet garden tractor, or best, their "compact
tractor" JD cheapened their brand by putting their name on cheap crap
to meet a pricepoint for the "mass merchandizers" It's biting them in
the butt in a BIG way right now. Has almost killed Ariens too. Cub
Cadet not far behind, alonf with Bolens.

Yes, I did. At the time I di dnot know any better. I grew up in a
small city and we only had a small yard to mow with a push mower. Then
got married and moved to about a half acre lot. Old Murry served well
for that small area. Moved to where I had to mow close to 2 acres.
Thought John Deere was a big name with quality equipment. Did not know
they put out low end junk to compete with other low end equipmnet.

When the transaxel went out, found out a company makes several different
quality ones for many brands. Deere used the lowest quality one in the
mower I bought. I will never buy another thing from them due to that
simple thing.

You bought cheep - they still make GREAT stuff. Don't cut off your
nose to spite your face. What are you going to buy that is as good as
, say, a JD X758, or even an X750. Cannot compare them to a D110 or a
D105 at 1/10 the price - - - -.

You want "green quality" be ready to put out a LOT more "green" than
$1400!!!! Up here in Canada a X750 is a little over 14 GRAND!!!.
If you only need it for mowing, a Z500n series mower would be a good
bet - about a thousand more than a Z300 series - and likely worth
every extra cent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/17 7:42 AM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Hey, some people blunder through life needing to be spoon-fed. As that
great philosopher Clint Eastwood said, "A man's got to know his
limitations" ;-)

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well of course commercial grade is better than consumer grade crap.
What's your point?

As for warranty service convenience...that's pretty much a non-issue. I
mean when was the last time you heard about a leaf blower/chain saw/lawn
mower, etc., needing service during the one-year warranty period?

Go in to the dealers and look at what they are working on.****
happens.

Of course it does. But usually not during the one-year warranty period

At my local HD, if you sweet-talk one of the good ole' girls on the
customer service desk, they'll usually take the broken one back and give
you a nice new one-- with another year's warranty!

and it won't be properly assembled either.

Dude, if you need someone to assemble a string trimmer or leaf blower
for you, you'd better hire a gardener lest you injure yourself ;-)

--
Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.
- Will Rogers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/17 12:06 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/10/2017 09:37 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
All set up and ready to go? Come on now, how hard is it to extend the
folded mower handle and tighten the bolts!! Besides, if you haven't got
a pick-up truck, how are you going to get an assembled mower home ;-)

There are some very complex things that have to be done. For example,
connecting the safety bar and linkage once you have extended the handle
and putting the provided oil in the crankcase. Then there are the hard
decisions like do you want to remove the rear plug and install the bag,
remove the side plug, or leave both mulching plugs in place. Then you
have to find the gas filler and fuel it up. The hardest part was chewing
my way into the box.

Yeah, well you got me!

--
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
- Will Rogers
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's not a problem but mower came with oil and gas and was started and
checked by shop that sold it. I almost bought it at HD but no clerk was
around to discuss with. I actually traded in 2 old Lawnboys that would
not start where I bought the Honda. No problem with my Subaru Forester
to carry.

so if you want the mower to last a really long time, do you clean the stuck on grass clippings off the bottom of the mower deck after each use?

I found the deck rots out from all that damp caked on rotting grass.

Now i use a wood stick to scrape some of that crud off after each use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

My point is if you buy junk, you can't expect commercial quality - and
they DO make something in between.

As for warranty service convenience...that's pretty much a non-issue. I
mean when was the last time you heard about a leaf blower/chain saw/lawn
mower, etc., needing service during the one-year warranty period?

Go in to the dealers and look at what they are working on.****
happens.

Of course it does. But usually not during the one-year warranty period

Either it fails in warranty or it lasts for AGES, in my experience.
"Infant Mortality" is the biggest failure rate.

At my local HD, if you sweet-talk one of the good ole' girls on the
customer service desk, they'll usually take the broken one back and give
you a nice new one-- with another year's warranty!

and it won't be properly assembled either.

Dude, if you need someone to assemble a string trimmer or leaf blower
for you, you'd better hire a gardener lest you injure yourself ;-)

What about a rider? I can assemble it and do it right. Guys who
don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other? Not a chance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You bought cheep - they still make GREAT stuff. Don't cut off your
nose to spite your face. What are you going to buy that is as good as
, say, a JD X758, or even an X750. Cannot compare them to a D110 or a
D105 at 1/10 the price - - - -.

You want "green quality" be ready to put out a LOT more "green" than
$1400!!!! Up here in Canada a X750 is a little over 14 GRAND!!!.
If you only need it for mowing, a Z500n series mower would be a good
bet - about a thousand more than a Z300 series - and likely worth
every extra cent.

I think my yard is just the wrong size. Too large for the inexpensive
mowers and too small to justify the price for the large mowers. For a
small yard I could buy a Murry every 5 years and come out way a head in
the price game.

At around the 14 Grand mark it would be less expensive for me to just
pay someone to mow the yard at my age.. I could leave that much in the
IRA and with a good return on the stock market break even and not have
to do the work.

Take your time and shop for a good used work-horse ?
I'm happy with my rider - Toro WheelHorse early 1990's;
20 HP Onan ; 48 inch deck ; bought it with ~ 700 hours
for almost 2 grand ! My Gawd ! the unused snow thrower still
sits in my shed. I mow 1/2 acre mostly flat - I expect this old
rider will outlast me, with minor routine annual mtc.
I've spent maybe $ 250. over 14 years - oil & air filters ,
+ 1 belt - that's it ! plus tires - $ 200. !
they aged out - sidewalls - that one hurt .. the low speed,
no load rated rear tires - cost almost as much as my car tires !
.... bummer !
+ a recent fuse block re-wire - not expensive but a PITA.
There are about 8 or 10 grease nipples on this rider -
- blade spindles especially should be greased -
perhaps the brake pedal sleeve is less critical .. :-)
I have seen good old Bolens garden tractors for sale -
- decent machines in the day - but they usually look
very-well-used ... be careful with old worn-out machines.
... with snow blowers and tillers all well used ..
John T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/10/2017 11:32 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

Years ago crappy chain saw oil pump failed and I took it to shop
manufacturer recommended miles from here. Should have taken it back to
HD and saved two thirty mile round trips.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 18:59:08 -0400, wrote:

[...]

I bought my old Yazoo Highwheeler about 30 years ago for $15 . I've
replaced the engine with a Chi-Honda clone, and replaced the skin of
the deck with stainless, as well as replacing the 20 inch bike tires
on the rear. I;ve replaced the spindle bearings twice - I think I have
a total of $200 actual cash invested - - -