Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time for a new mower...

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:03:28 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 7/10/17 1:09 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:32:56 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

On 7/9/17 11:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not
even self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG.
Obviously, something broke inside, valve, connecting rod,
not sure what. After nearly a quarter-century of service I
guess it's time for something new. I don't have the
facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth paying
to get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were
so-so about one of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's
generally available at Home Depot, etc.

Try to stay away from HD and Lowes anad such. Go to a local dealer.
The box stores usually have the less expensive lines. Even if not that,
if there is any problem with the mower you can get it serviced much
better at the dealer while it is under warrenty.

Beg to differ...if the less expensive model meets your needs and gets
the job done for you, why pay more for bells and whistles you don't care
about?

Because it's not bells and whistles we are talking about. We are
talking about QUALITY. Some of the more expensive, better quality
stuff actually has FEWER bells and whistles. There is blinged out
crap, and there is good quality base, and there is commercial grade,
in order of quality.

Well of course commercial grade is better than consumer grade crap.
What's your point?

My point is if you buy junk, you can't expect commercial quality - and
they DO make something in between.

As for warranty service convenience...that's pretty much a non-issue. I
mean when was the last time you heard about a leaf blower/chain saw/lawn
mower, etc., needing service during the one-year warranty period?

Go in to the dealers and look at what they are working on.****
happens.

Of course it does. But usually not during the one-year warranty period

Either it fails in warranty or it lasts for AGES, in my experience.
"Infant Mortality" is the biggest failure rate.

At my local HD, if you sweet-talk one of the good ole' girls on the
customer service desk, they'll usually take the broken one back and give
you a nice new one-- with another year's warranty!

and it won't be properly assembled either.

Dude, if you need someone to assemble a string trimmer or leaf blower
for you, you'd better hire a gardener lest you injure yourself ;-)

What about a rider? I can assemble it and do it right. Guys who
don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other? Not a chance.