Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Time for a new mower...

On 7/10/17 7:42 AM, Frank wrote:
On 7/9/2017 9:05 PM, John Albert wrote:
Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not even
self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG. Obviously, something
broke inside, valve, connecting rod, not sure what. After nearly a
quarter-century of service I guess it's time for something new. I
don't have the facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth
paying to get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

My needs:
- mulch mower (I do leaves with it, too)
- self-propelled (I'm gettin' old, nearing 70!)
- maybe electric start (is it worth it, those of you who have it?)

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were so-so about
one of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's generally available at Home
Depot, etc.

I might still consider it, but I'd like to hear what others might have
to say.
Should I consider other brands?
Toro?
Husqvarna? (sp)
etc.?

What say you?

I've got a Honda, self propelled, 8 yrs. use now. Very happy with it.
Only had serviced once mainly to lube an area I had no idea how to get
to. I agree with others to avoid the big box stores although a dealer
may charge more he should have it all set up and ready to go.

All set up and ready to go? Come on now, how hard is it to extend the
folded mower handle and tighten the bolts!! Besides, if you haven't got
a pick-up truck, how are you going to get an assembled mower home ;-)

--
I was almost run off the road this afternoon by some guy making an
undocumented U-turn.