Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Time for a new mower...

You bought cheep - they still make GREAT stuff. Don't cut off your
nose to spite your face. What are you going to buy that is as good as
, say, a JD X758, or even an X750. Cannot compare them to a D110 or a
D105 at 1/10 the price - - - -.

You want "green quality" be ready to put out a LOT more "green" than
$1400!!!! Up here in Canada a X750 is a little over 14 GRAND!!!.
If you only need it for mowing, a Z500n series mower would be a good
bet - about a thousand more than a Z300 series - and likely worth
every extra cent.

I think my yard is just the wrong size. Too large for the inexpensive
mowers and too small to justify the price for the large mowers. For a
small yard I could buy a Murry every 5 years and come out way a head in
the price game.

At around the 14 Grand mark it would be less expensive for me to just
pay someone to mow the yard at my age.. I could leave that much in the
IRA and with a good return on the stock market break even and not have
to do the work.

Take your time and shop for a good used work-horse ?
I'm happy with my rider - Toro WheelHorse early 1990's;
20 HP Onan ; 48 inch deck ; bought it with ~ 700 hours
for almost 2 grand ! My Gawd ! the unused snow thrower still
sits in my shed. I mow 1/2 acre mostly flat - I expect this old
rider will outlast me, with minor routine annual mtc.
I've spent maybe $ 250. over 14 years - oil & air filters ,
+ 1 belt - that's it ! plus tires - $ 200. !
they aged out - sidewalls - that one hurt .. the low speed,
no load rated rear tires - cost almost as much as my car tires !
.... bummer !
+ a recent fuse block re-wire - not expensive but a PITA.
There are about 8 or 10 grease nipples on this rider -
- blade spindles especially should be greased -
perhaps the brake pedal sleeve is less critical .. :-)
I have seen good old Bolens garden tractors for sale -
- decent machines in the day - but they usually look
very-well-used ... be careful with old worn-out machines.
... with snow blowers and tillers all well used ..
John T