Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Time for a new mower...

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 22:03:33 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 7/9/17 8:05 PM, John Albert wrote:
Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not even
self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG. Obviously, something broke
inside, valve, connecting rod, not sure what. After nearly a
quarter-century of service I guess it's time for something new. I don't
have the facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth paying to
get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

My needs:
- mulch mower (I do leaves with it, too)
- self-propelled (I'm gettin' old, nearing 70!)
- maybe electric start (is it worth it, those of you who have it?)

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were so-so about one
of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's generally available at Home Depot,
etc.

Consumer Reports has a couple Best Buys for mulchers.
HondaHRR216VKA $430 rear wheel drive
ToroRecycler 20332 $360 rear wheel drive, Honda engine
Both are multi speed.
Single speed Best Buys:
ToroSMARTSTOW 20339 $350 front wheel drive, big back wheels, Briggs
engine
Toro20377 $300 front wheel drive, looks
like regular sized
wheels, Kohler engine

And be well advised to look carefully at the details - not just
the "name" on the mower. My " Toro Recycler " had a B&S engine
and was very prone to annoying clog-ups and the deck rusted out
prematurely. The B&S engine was still quite good when I tossed it.
It was not the self-propelled model.
I replaced it with an old Jacobsen from an auction sale for $ 25.
and I really like it - aluminum deck; ~ 4 hp B&S Quantum; 1 pull
starts it ; no safety handle/bar ; ..while it meets my needs - it
meets none of your needs ...
I have never liked the extra weight of self-proprlled - my mowing
is not 100 % straight ahead - a lot of back & forth areas - where
I do not want to be pulling the extra weight. nor any extra
maintenance / repair issues over the years.
John T.