Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time for a new mower...

I bought my old Yazoo Highwheeler about 30 years ago for $15 . I've
replaced the engine with a Chi-Honda clone, and replaced the skin of
the deck with stainless, as well as replacing the 20 inch bike tires
on the rear. I;ve replaced the spindle bearings twice - I think I have
a total of $200 actual cash invested - - -

Yazoo ? .. sorry if I seem daft .. what izzit ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oddly enough, I tried starting the old mower (which stopped
with a BANG the day before), and it started and ran. Makes
me wonder if somethin's loose inside (a friend mentioned
something called "the Woodruff key"?).

On the dirve shaft there is a notch and the fly wheel another notch.
There is a piece of metal that is about square and an inch or so long
that goes between the pieces in the notches. This keeps them from
slipping. Many round shafts that have larger round gears or other
things on them will have this key in the slots so they will not slip.

If the flywheel slips, the spark may not get to the engine at the
correct time.

also known as a shear key

designed to shear when there is an impact to prevent further damage.