Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Time for a new mower...

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 21:05:57 -0400, John Albert
wrote:

Well, my 24-year-old Bolens lawn mower (old push-style, not
even self-propelled) died on me today with a BANG.
Obviously, something broke inside, valve, connecting rod,
not sure what. After nearly a quarter-century of service I
guess it's time for something new. I don't have the
facilities to repair it, and it's probably not worth paying
to get fixed -- money better spent towards sumthin' new.

My needs:
- mulch mower (I do leaves with it, too)
- self-propelled (I'm gettin' old, nearing 70!)
- maybe electric start (is it worth it, those of you who
have it?)

I did a quick web-review of Hondas, folks actually were
so-so about one of their models (HRR216K9VLA), that's
generally available at Home Depot, etc.

I might still consider it, but I'd like to hear what others
might have to say.
Should I consider other brands?
Toro?
Husqvarna? (sp)
etc.?

What say you?

whatever brand ypu buy, do not buy the cheapest or most expensive.
Don't buy from Home Despot - buy a Honda from your local Honda
equipment dealer, or a Toro from your Toro dealer, or a Husky from
your Husky dealer. Again, don't (generally speaking) buy their
cheapest unless the dealer tells you there are lower priced models but
he won't carry them, or won't recommend them, and will only sell them
if at all, if you insist - then perhaps buy the cheapest he
recommends. Tes, you MIGHT buy cheaper from the BORG - you MIGHT get
the same product, but I can almost guarantee it won't be properly
assembled, and you'll get NO service of any sort. Support your dealer.