Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed killer?

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Try your local Tractor Supply Company store, if you have one. Ask the
people there which would be best for your particular application. I am
using one that has the same ingredient as RoundUp, but in a slightly
higher concentration than the name brand, and much less expensive.
Takes four days to over a week to kill, depending on the "weed." The
slowest for me are the baby oaks.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

How long did you wait for the product to work? It should take at
least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds
in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?

If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up
(glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the
leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds
over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

What are you trying to kill and where? The weeds on my stone driveway
turned up their toes within hours after application of a mix of 1
liter white vinegar, 1/2 cup epson salt, and a few tsp of dawn
dishwashing liquid. A lot cheaper than using cider vinegar and epsom
salts - and just as effective (I tried both)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2017 10:05 AM, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I bought something online for a weed that I have for recommended
pre-emergent treatment needed is not available in any store around me:

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

Free shipping and cheaper than Amazon that wanted me to pay shipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in
:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf
weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.

Turf I guess. Level non-grassy areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman wrote in
news
On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

How long did you wait for the product to work?

Several weeks.

It should take at
least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds
in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?

Non-grassy,

If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up
(glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the
leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds
over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 17:44:46 GMT, KenK wrote:

Stormin' Norman wrote in
news
On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

How long did you wait for the product to work?

Several weeks.

It should take at
least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds
in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?

Non-grassy,

If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up
(glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the
leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds
over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.

If it is non grassy and you are not trying to preserve anything in the
area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-04, Stormin' Norman wrote:

area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).

It's spelled g-l-y-p-h-o-s-a-t-e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

No wonder Drumpf won. 8|

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 1:43:00 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf
weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.

Turf I guess. Level non-grassy areas.

Turf is grass. If you want to kill everything, then Glyphosate, the roundup chemical is effective. I buy 2.5 gal of 48% concentrate for $60 online, makes a couple hundred gallons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:04:08 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

If it's supresssing everything for months, then it's not Glyphosate, which is what is most commonly referred to as roundup. Monsanto has other products under the roundup name, so you have to make sure what your buying is what you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 12:12:51 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 11:04:04 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

When that doesn't work, use Garlon AKA Triclopyr (Ortho Brush B Gone
at the BORG). It works on stuff Roundup won't kill.
Garlon 4 with Diesel as the surfactant is bad to the bone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-04, Stormin' Norman wrote:

area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).

It's spelled g-l-y-p-h-o-s-a-t-e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

No wonder Drumpf won. 8|

Good to know and you are absolutely correct, "Drumpf" (Trump) won
because I misspelled glyphosate and because he properly spelled
"covfefe".....

A very insightful contribution....... ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week
fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something
locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...d-killer-1-gal

2-4-d is the basic chemical for most weed killers used for
spot spraying. If you want total kill try Groundclear with
Triox

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:04:08 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

If it's supresssing everything for months, then it's not Glyphosate, which is what is most commonly referred to as roundup. Monsanto has other products under the roundup name, so you have to make sure what your buying is what you want.

It says Roundup on the bottle so I have no idea if it's something
special or not. All I know is that it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.

I use the Roundup once a year, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 12:19:49 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
KenK wrote in news:XnsA7A86DC8B5971invalidcom@
130.133.4.11:

wrote in
:

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA
What are you trying to kill and where?

Don't know name of the weeds. Non-grassy area.

The weeds on my stone driveway
turned up their toes within hours after application of a mix of 1
liter white vinegar, 1/2 cup epson salt, and a few tsp of dawn
dishwashing liquid. A lot cheaper than using cider vinegar and epsom
salts - and just as effective (I tried both)

Sounds like worth a try. I don't think I have any epson salts, have to
get some.

Later thoughts:

Have any idea where in Walmart I'd find epson salts? Health stuff?
Cleaning? Somewhere else? I've not seen them when looking for other
stuff.

Yes, pharmacy section.

Another question. How do you put this on the weeds? Put in an old spray
bottle? Other method?

TIA

That depends on what size area. For the very smallest of spaces,
an old spray bottle works, but remember to re-label it. For larger
areas, one of the 2 gallon pump sprayers works, that is the smallest
reasonable solution IMO, ~$20 For bigger areas, a 3 gal pump backpack
sprayer with a wide tip nozzle is the way to go. ~$75
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 11:14:02 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.

I use the Roundup once a year, too.

You can't just say Roundup and not specify what it actually is. There
are very different types of Roundup product. As pointed out, when
people just say Roundup, they almost always mean the glyphosate product,
which Monsanto is most famous for. That you can spray, kill weeds,
and re-seed in just a few days, which is what you want when you're
re-seeding a lawn from scratch or hitting some weeds in an area
you're going to plant flower seeds. Then they have other products,
totally different chemical, which will prevent anything from germinating
or growing for months. If you used that "Roundup" on a lawn renovation,
or where you are planting flowers, it would be a disaster. you'd have
no lawn, no flowers for a year and waste a lot of money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 11:41:21 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

It's Roundup, sold at Walmart, sold at Home Depot, sold at
Lowe's. Plain old Roundup, nothing special on the bottle.
You'll have to contact Monsanto if you have issues with what
Walmart is stocking.

I'm using on weeds. It's plain old Roundup. Go to Walmart
and check out the standard packaging.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

If it's plain old roundup, then that doesn't jive with your claim that you don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup product uses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's sprayed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days later and the seeds will grow fine.

And instead of me going to Walmart to see which roundup products they stock at one store, I suggest you go visit the Monsanto roundup site. You'll see that they sell everything from ready to use Glyphosate type roundup, to roundup concentrate, to products that will kill everything and prevent germination for months, to products that just kill broadleaf weeds in turf. I believe we've been through this before and you still don't get that there isn't just one "plain" roundup and using the wrong one, for the wrong thing can be a disaster. And again, the Glyphosate roundup, which is what would be plain roundup, is not consistent with your claim of no more weeds until spring. It simply doesn't work that way to suppress new weed growth. It kills the weeds you spray, but new ones germinate and show up within a few weeks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 6:13:27 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

If it's plain old roundup, then that doesn't jive with your claim that you don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup product uses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's sprayed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days later and the seeds will grow fine.

I don't care if it jives with what you believe or not. It's Roundup
and I don't see weeds until the next Spring.

And instead of me going to Walmart to see which roundup products they stock at one store, I suggest you go visit the Monsanto roundup site. You'll see that they sell everything from ready to use Glyphosate type roundup, to roundup concentrate, to products that will kill everything and prevent germination for months, to products that just kill broadleaf weeds in turf. I believe we've been through this before and you still don't get that there isn't just one "plain" roundup and using the wrong one, for the wrong thing can be a disaster. And again, the Glyphosate roundup, which is what would be plain roundup, is not consistent with your claim of no more weeds until spring. It simply doesn't work that way to suppress new weed growth. It kills the weeds you spray, but new ones germinate and show up within a few weeks.

I don't care what Monsanto makes, what I buy kills weeds for a year.
I don't have to visit any site to know this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 16:13:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The 41-Percent Glyphosate I use just needs a once per year application in my case. I'll
tell you for sure in the fall. But I sprayed over a month ago and there's no sign of new
growth. Could be some other factors come into play.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2017 4:32 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

It takes water to germinate. Is the area getting water?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:26:16 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 6:13:27 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

If it's plain old roundup, then that doesn't jive with your claim that you don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup product uses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's sprayed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days later and the seeds will grow fine.

I don't care if it jives with what you believe or not.

And you also don't care if you give out misinformation that causes
harm to others. It's not what I "believe", it's what Monsanto states
about how the glyphosate product works and how it's used. You'd know
that if you'd go look at the product website. Farmers spray
thousands of acres and plant seed within a week. It doesn't supress
weeds, it only kills the actively growing ones that it contacts.
Your silly stance
here is like there being discussion about which Loctite product to use for
some application, and you saying, I don't care, the Loctite I
buy at the local store worked to glue my cracked phone. Loctite, like
Roundup, encompasses many different products, from thead locker to
silicon sealant and super glue. And you're too lazy to go read the
label on the Roundup and see what you actually have.

It's Roundup
and I don't see weeds until the next Spring.

Sigh....

[...]

Fine, remain ignorant then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2017 7:26 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
[...]

I planted a genetically modified RoundUp Ready lawn so now I can just pour the glyphosate concentrate down my well shaft and then water my lawn. They say glyphosate is totally safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:51:50 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
[...]

He said a month, so sure, I could see no new weeds for a month, but
not until next Spring. Roundup doesn't work that way, Monsanto says
so and decades of experience confirm it. You also don't typically
have big weeds, it may not be worth reapplying in a month, but any
weeds seeds that are there, will germinate just as if it had never
been sprayed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:59:00 PM UTC-4, Herb Bisside wrote:
[...]

Where can I get that seed, I want it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 16:51:43 -0700, Taxed and Spent wrote:

[...]

Sure. I sprayed the concrete driveway cracks and a paver walkway. Careful as I was,
about 3 inches of grass along the low side of the walkway also died.
It also shows no sign of reviving. The weeds were as long as 6 inches. The driveway needs
replacing, but I'm in no hurry to spend $4500, which is the low estimate of the 3 I got.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/5/2017 8:01 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

https://www.ecowatch.com/scotts-roun...915521468.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 8:11:08 PM UTC-4, Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

Also, you're dealing with cracks, where it will be somewhat harder for
weeds to get started than in an open area, so a month doesn't surprise me.
I have to spray cracks less frequently than open areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 17:18:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Don't forget, with cracks and other relatively unexposed areas, if the
dead weeds are left in place, they can act a kind of mulch barrier
which will prevent other weed seeds from settling in and germinating.

I buy the 2.5 gallon glyphosate concentrate, mix it up in my power
sprayer tank and use about 150 mixed gallons per year. Because almost
everything grows year round here, I spray 3 - 4 times per year. I
wear a respirator, goggles, latex gloves and tyvek coveralls when I
spray. There is enough reason to not trust the chemical and the
precautions are logical.

Once I kill the weeds, I will not get new ones until after it rains,
which is relatively infrequent here. Most of my irrigation is drip,
so I don't blast a lot of water all over the place. I also spread A
LOT of mulch in areas where I don't want anything to grow.
Fortunately, the mulch is free, call any tree service and invite them
to dump their chippings on your property. I also enslave the
grandchildren to help spread it when needed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You should be using that miracle Roundup that Joane buys at Walmart.
She claims:

"It's Roundup, sold at Walmart, sold at Home Depot, sold at
Lowe's. Plain old Roundup, nothing special on the bottle.
You'll have to contact Monsanto if you have issues with what
Walmart is stocking. "

Despite my attempts to explain to her that Monsanto markets many
different products under the Roundup brand for very different uses,
she says she doesn't know and doesn't care. Which is fine, except
that she's claiming that plain old Roundup, which to you and I and
any pro would mean the glyphosate product, results in no weeds again
until spring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I read those posts and I realized that I had no idea what the
conditions are where she is using it nor do I know her environment. I
will say, there are weedy areas that I will spray and not see weeds
there again until after the winter rains.

For all I know she is only spraying weeds in the cracks of her
concrete driveway and it is quite possible she doesn't get weeds again
for many months.

I think there are a lot of variables which can effect one's results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 17:18:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Also, you're dealing with cracks, where it will be somewhat harder for
weeds to get started than in an open area, so a month doesn't surprise me.
I have to spray cracks less frequently than open areas.

In places the cracks are 3-4 inches wide. I just went to the store and took a close look
on the way to the car. There are a few places that show green if you look close.
But most of the cracks are full of dead weed material and some dead pine needles.
It could need another application, but I don't remember doing it twice in a year.
Maybe by the time they get big enough to bother, they stop growing due to the season.
I just don't remember clearly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That isn't the big problem. She says I should go to Walmart and figure out which roundup product she bought. To her roundup is just roundup and that's all there is to it. There are 3 very different products, plus choices of concentration. There will be plenty of people with dead lawns now that there is a roundup broadleaf herbicide for turf and some people think roundup is roundup.

WHERE does weed killer get INTO the plant (leaves? roots? stem? mechanism?) Elmo[_6_] Home Repair 39 June 24th 18 06:30 AM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
spot weed killer? tenplay Home Repair 32 July 7th 10 05:32 PM
DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff) Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk UK diy 58 May 13th 08 07:36 AM
Weed killer for driveway? RobertM Home Repair 28 April 18th 06 05:47 PM