Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Weed killer?

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:51:50 PM UTC-4, Taxed and Spent wrote:
On 7/5/2017 4:32 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 16:13:21 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 6:06:22 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 11:41:21 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 11:14:02 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.

I use the Roundup once a year, too.

You can't just say Roundup and not specify what it actually is. There
are very different types of Roundup product. As pointed out, when
people just say Roundup, they almost always mean the glyphosate product,
which Monsanto is most famous for. That you can spray, kill weeds,
and re-seed in just a few days, which is what you want when you're
re-seeding a lawn from scratch or hitting some weeds in an area
you're going to plant flower seeds. Then they have other products,
totally different chemical, which will prevent anything from germinating
or growing for months. If you used that "Roundup" on a lawn renovation,
or where you are planting flowers, it would be a disaster. you'd have
no lawn, no flowers for a year and waste a lot of money.

It's Roundup, sold at Walmart, sold at Home Depot, sold at
Lowe's. Plain old Roundup, nothing special on the bottle.
You'll have to contact Monsanto if you have issues with what
Walmart is stocking.

I'm using on weeds. It's plain old Roundup. Go to Walmart
and check out the standard packaging.

If it's plain old roundup, then that doesn't jive with your claim that you don't see weeds again until next spring. The most popular roundup product uses Glyphosate, it only kills what's growing actively at the time it's sprayed on. One of its benefits, again, is that you can seed a few days later and the seeds will grow fine.

And instead of me going to Walmart to see which roundup products they stock at one store, I suggest you go visit the Monsanto roundup site. You'll see that they sell everything from ready to use Glyphosate type roundup, to roundup concentrate, to products that will kill everything and prevent germination for months, to products that just kill broadleaf weeds in turf. I believe we've been through this before and you still don't get that there isn't just one "plain" roundup and using the wrong one, for the wrong thing can be a disaster. And again, the Glyphosate roundup, which is what would be plain roundup, is not consistent with your claim of no more weeds until spring. It simply doesn't work that way to suppress new weed growth. It kills the weeds you spray, but new ones germinate and show up within a few weeks.

The 41-Percent Glyphosate I use just needs a once per year application in my case. I'll
tell you for sure in the fall. But I sprayed over a month ago and there's no sign of new
growth. Could be some other factors come into play.

It takes water to germinate. Is the area getting water?

He said a month, so sure, I could see no new weeds for a month, but
not until next Spring. Roundup doesn't work that way, Monsanto says
so and decades of experience confirm it. You also don't typically
have big weeds, it may not be worth reapplying in a month, but any
weeds seeds that are there, will germinate just as if it had never
been sprayed.