Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed killer?

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in
:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf
weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.

Turf I guess. Level non-grassy areas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 1:43:00 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 10:05:07 AM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Depends on what weeds and if it's turf or beds, etc. For broadleaf
weeds in turf, weed b gone works for me.

Turf I guess. Level non-grassy areas.

Turf is grass. If you want to kill everything, then Glyphosate, the roundup chemical is effective. I buy 2.5 gal of 48% concentrate for $60 online, makes a couple hundred gallons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

Try your local Tractor Supply Company store, if you have one. Ask the
people there which would be best for your particular application. I am
using one that has the same ingredient as RoundUp, but in a slightly
higher concentration than the name brand, and much less expensive.
Takes four days to over a week to kill, depending on the "weed." The
slowest for me are the baby oaks.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

How long did you wait for the product to work? It should take at
least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds
in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?

If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up
(glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the
leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds
over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin' Norman wrote in
news
On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

How long did you wait for the product to work?

Several weeks.

It should take at
least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds
in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?

Non-grassy,

If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up
(glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the
leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds
over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 17:44:46 GMT, KenK wrote:

Stormin' Norman wrote in
news
On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

How long did you wait for the product to work?

Several weeks.

It should take at
least a week before you see results. Are you attempting to kill weeds
in your lawn or are you dealing with weeds in a non-grassy area?

Non-grassy,

If you are trying to kill weeds and not preserve grass, try Round-up
(glyphosphate), this is a systemic product and must be sprayed on the
leaves of the weeds, additionally, it doesn't work too well on weeds
over 12" tall. Be aware, Round-up will kill grass.

If it is non grassy and you are not trying to preserve anything in the
area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-04, Stormin' Norman wrote:

area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).

It's spelled g-l-y-p-h-o-s-a-t-e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

No wonder Drumpf won. 8|

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2017-07-04, Stormin' Norman wrote:

area with the weeds, then get some glyphosphate (Round-up).

It's spelled g-l-y-p-h-o-s-a-t-e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

No wonder Drumpf won. 8|

Good to know and you are absolutely correct, "Drumpf" (Trump) won
because I misspelled glyphosate and because he properly spelled
"covfefe".....

A very insightful contribution....... ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

What are you trying to kill and where? The weeds on my stone driveway
turned up their toes within hours after application of a mix of 1
liter white vinegar, 1/2 cup epson salt, and a few tsp of dawn
dishwashing liquid. A lot cheaper than using cider vinegar and epsom
salts - and just as effective (I tried both)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 12:19:49 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
KenK wrote in news:XnsA7A86DC8B5971invalidcom@
130.133.4.11:

wrote in
:

On 4 Jul 2017 14:05:02 GMT, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA
What are you trying to kill and where?

Don't know name of the weeds. Non-grassy area.

The weeds on my stone driveway
turned up their toes within hours after application of a mix of 1
liter white vinegar, 1/2 cup epson salt, and a few tsp of dawn
dishwashing liquid. A lot cheaper than using cider vinegar and epsom
salts - and just as effective (I tried both)

Sounds like worth a try. I don't think I have any epson salts, have to
get some.

Later thoughts:

Have any idea where in Walmart I'd find epson salts? Health stuff?
Cleaning? Somewhere else? I've not seen them when looking for other
stuff.

Yes, pharmacy section.

Another question. How do you put this on the weeds? Put in an old spray
bottle? Other method?

TIA

That depends on what size area. For the very smallest of spaces,
an old spray bottle works, but remember to re-label it. For larger
areas, one of the 2 gallon pump sprayers works, that is the smallest
reasonable solution IMO, ~$20 For bigger areas, a 3 gal pump backpack
sprayer with a wide tip nozzle is the way to go. ~$75
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/4/2017 10:05 AM, KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I bought something online for a weed that I have for recommended
pre-emergent treatment needed is not available in any store around me:

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

Free shipping and cheaper than Amazon that wanted me to pay shipping.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:04:08 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

If it's supresssing everything for months, then it's not Glyphosate, which is what is most commonly referred to as roundup. Monsanto has other products under the roundup name, so you have to make sure what your buying is what you want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 12:12:51 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

[...]

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.

I use the Roundup once a year, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 11:14:02 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:27:54 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

I use this, bought from Amazon. Use it in driveway/sidewalk cracks and a brick walkway.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer, 41-Percent Glyphosate, 32-Ounce
Though it kills everything, they get reseeded every year. Weeds do that.
Have to use it once a year.

I use the Roundup once a year, too.

You can't just say Roundup and not specify what it actually is. There
are very different types of Roundup product. As pointed out, when
people just say Roundup, they almost always mean the glyphosate product,
which Monsanto is most famous for. That you can spray, kill weeds,
and re-seed in just a few days, which is what you want when you're
re-seeding a lawn from scratch or hitting some weeds in an area
you're going to plant flower seeds. Then they have other products,
totally different chemical, which will prevent anything from germinating
or growing for months. If you used that "Roundup" on a lawn renovation,
or where you are planting flowers, it would be a disaster. you'd have
no lawn, no flowers for a year and waste a lot of money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:12:58 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 2:04:08 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

If it's supresssing everything for months, then it's not Glyphosate, which is what is most commonly referred to as roundup. Monsanto has other products under the roundup name, so you have to make sure what your buying is what you want.

It says Roundup on the bottle so I have no idea if it's something
special or not. All I know is that it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jul 2017 11:04:04 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week fertilizer. Any
products you've had success with? Preferably something locally available,
like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

I use Roundup and it kills anything I spray it on. I bought a
quart bottle of it last week at Walmart for $18.76 (I think it
76¢, I do know it was under $19.00). A $5 off coupon was used,
too. Anyway, This is the stuff you mix yourself and put in a
garden sprayer. I do add about a tablespoon more than the
recommended amount and I see no grass or weeds until the next
Spring.

When that doesn't work, use Garlon AKA Triclopyr (Ortho Brush B Gone
at the BORG). It works on stuff Roundup won't kill.
Garlon 4 with Diesel as the surfactant is bad to the bone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote:
I recently tried Spectracide Weed Stop. More like a week
fertilizer.
Any products you've had success with? Preferably something
locally
available, like Walmart or Lowes, not on-line.

TIA

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...d-killer-1-gal

2-4-d is the basic chemical for most weed killers used for
spot spraying. If you want total kill try Groundclear with
Triox

WHERE does weed killer get INTO the plant (leaves? roots? stem? mechanism?) Elmo[_6_] Home Repair 39 June 24th 18 06:30 AM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
spot weed killer? tenplay Home Repair 32 July 7th 10 05:32 PM
DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff) Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk UK diy 58 May 13th 08 07:36 AM
Weed killer for driveway? RobertM Home Repair 28 April 18th 06 05:47 PM