Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weed killer?

On 7/5/17 8:39 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 17:18:14 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:
Also, you're dealing with cracks, where it will be somewhat harder for
weeds to get started than in an open area, so a month doesn't surprise me.
I have to spray cracks less frequently than open areas.

In places the cracks are 3-4 inches wide. I just went to the store and took a close look
on the way to the car. There are a few places that show green if you look close.
But most of the cracks are full of dead weed material and some dead pine needles.
It could need another application, but I don't remember doing it twice in a year.
Maybe by the time they get big enough to bother, they stop growing due to the season.
I just don't remember clearly.

The dead weeds and pine needle might be helping. No sunlight
on the actual dirt.
Corn and soybean plants eventually shade the soil. That helps keep
weeds from germinating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:11:08 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

Sure. I sprayed the concrete driveway cracks and a paver walkway. Careful as I was,
about 3 inches of grass along the low side of the walkway also died.
It also shows no sign of reviving. The weeds were as long as 6 inches. The driveway needs
replacing, but I'm in no hurry to spend $4500, which is the low estimate of the 3 I got.

Thank you!

Yes, the sprayer is susceptible to a bit of drift. I found
that out a couple years ago when I sprayed the sidewalk
cracks. In some places the grass next to the sidewalk got
a smidge of drift and those areas had no grass until the
following Spring. For real control on those sidewalk cracks
I use mix Roundup mixture in a large sqeeze bottle; no drift!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 10:20:34 PM UTC-4, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 7:11:08 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

Sure. I sprayed the concrete driveway cracks and a paver walkway. Careful as I was,
about 3 inches of grass along the low side of the walkway also died.
It also shows no sign of reviving. The weeds were as long as 6 inches. The driveway needs
replacing, but I'm in no hurry to spend $4500, which is the low estimate of the 3 I got.

Thank you!

For what? He said its been a month, not until next spring. And he followed that up by saying he just went and looked at it and there is green starting to show again. Nothing unusual there or inconsistent with how roundup (Glyphosate) works. No weeds until spring is unusual unless your using the roundup product that suppresses germination for many months or you have some unusual environmental conditions. Which is why I asked which actual product you actually have, but you keep saying roundup is roundup, it's what Walmart,HD,sell and I should go look. They sell three different types, different chemicals, for very different applications and results.

WHERE does weed killer get INTO the plant (leaves? roots? stem? mechanism?) Elmo[_6_] Home Repair 39 June 24th 18 06:30 AM
Weed Killer ROANIN[_2_] Home Repair 41 October 1st 10 02:19 AM
spot weed killer? tenplay Home Repair 32 July 7th 10 05:32 PM
DIY Weed Killer (Effective Stuff) Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk UK diy 58 May 13th 08 07:36 AM
Weed killer for driveway? RobertM Home Repair 28 April 18th 06 05:47 PM