Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Idiotic Rocker Switch symbols for ON & OFF

Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

And what the heck does the LINE mean? (To me, it means nothing. Is it a
lower case letter "L" or upper case letter "I", or number "1", or just a
plain meaningless line.

Whoever began labelling switches this way, should be fired from their
job, and be sent to prison for the rest of their life, for creating a
dangerous product.

Why cant they just put the words "ON" and "OFF" on the switches? If the
full word wont fit, them put "N" and "F" (oN & oFf).

I have a power generator with this kind of switch, which is for turning
on and off the engine. Because those symbols make no logical sense. I
can never remember which is ON and which is OFF. I just start to pull
the rope on the generator and if it wont start, I flip the switch to the
other position. Hopefully it will start in one of the positions. That's
of I dont flood the engine from pulling the rope with that switch on the
wrong position.

Since I dont use the generator often, the next time I need it, I'll once
again have to play the guessing game to determine which is ON and which
is OFF. And of course this always occurs in the dark, because thats when
I need the generator.

I finally bought a permanent paint stick yesterday. The next time I get
that generator started, I'm going to write ON and OFF in big letters
above and below that switch.

And if I ever find the moron who labelled these switches with a LINE and
a CIRCLE, I think I'll give the ****er a black eye, knock out a few
teeth, and embed a LINE and a CIRCLE on his forehead with my pocket
knife!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It's 1s and 0s in the digital world. I don't know when they started that on
switches. It's use is not apparent to many. I started running computer
panels in 1969. An octal 7070 would look like 111 000 111 000 in a series
of 12 togle switches. 3 bit bytes. I'm sure on the back of the computer
supply said on off. I can figure out many auto symbols either. Cigarette
was easy.

Anyway, the 1 is referenced to the ON state. 0 is OFF state. The ONLY two
states in most systems. But I also had to learn General Dynamics, dynamic
logic. ON was a pulse, OFF was no pulse.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 02:38:15 -0400, wrote:

Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

And what the heck does the LINE mean? (To me, it means nothing. Is it a
lower case letter "L" or upper case letter "I", or number "1", or just a
plain meaningless line.

Whoever began labelling switches this way, should be fired from their
job, and be sent to prison for the rest of their life, for creating a
dangerous product.

Why cant they just put the words "ON" and "OFF" on the switches? If the
full word wont fit, them put "N" and "F" (oN & oFf).

International symbols that anyone (except you) can understand no
matter their native language. Build a machine in the USA and write
"OFF" and the citizens of Albania, Chine, Russia, Lithuania, will have
no clue what it means. They all figured out the I and O a few decades
ago.

Just like the symbols for the mens room.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:59:01 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Like I'm supposed to convert this to computer code, when it's not a
computer. Do you really think those other countries, which are probably
computer illiterate will understand this? I doubt it.

MENS ROOM 8===

WOMENS ROOM (o) (o)

This says it like it is.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 5:59:04 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

They don't use a 1 or 0 on restrooms...but they could. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 2:38 AM, wrote:
Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

I finally bought a permanent paint stick yesterday. The next time I get
that generator started, I'm going to write ON and OFF in big letters
above and below that switch.

And if I ever find the moron who labelled these switches with a LINE and
a CIRCLE, I think I'll give the ****er a black eye, knock out a few
teeth, and embed a LINE and a CIRCLE on his forehead with my pocket
knife!!!!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those who
don't.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 05:40:11 -0500, wrote:

[...]

The people with multimeters could run a continuity test. A cheap
automotive circuit tester with a battery will show off from on. The people
with neither will flip the switch off and on a couple times to see what
happens.

Some cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I agree, I hate those symbols too, but they seem to be the new thing so I guess we just have to live with them.

I start my generator on the first of each month to make sure it's still working and give it some exercise to get all the components oiled inside. After it runs for a while, I turn off the switch; when the engine stops running, I flip the switch back on and put the choke on full. If the power goes off and I run the generator, I do the same thing when I turn it off. That way, whenever I go out to the generator, I know the switch is in the "ON" position and the choke is set so I can just pull the cord and start it up.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

To answer your direct question, it's a 0. (zero)

And what the heck does the LINE mean? (To me, it means nothing. Is it a
lower case letter "L" or upper case letter "I", or number "1", or just a
plain meaningless line.

To answer your direct question, it's a 1. (one)

Whoever began labelling switches this way, should be fired from their
job, and be sent to prison for the rest of their life, for creating a
dangerous product.

....or commended for creating a safer product with symbols that can be
understood on a global basis.

Why cant they just put the words "ON" and "OFF" on the switches? If the
full word wont fit, them put "N" and "F" (oN & oFf).

....because not everyone speaks English and because the letters N & F don't
exist in some language and if they do, they may not be last letter of their
words for On and Off.

I have a power generator with this kind of switch, which is for turning
on and off the engine. Because those symbols make no logical sense. I
can never remember which is ON and which is OFF. I just start to pull
the rope on the generator and if it wont start, I flip the switch to the
other position. Hopefully it will start in one of the positions. That's
of I dont flood the engine from pulling the rope with that switch on the
wrong position.

....and yet the symbols never change. Imagine that. Imagine simply remembering
what the symbols mean.

Since I dont use the generator often, the next time I need it, I'll once
again have to play the guessing game to determine which is ON and which
is OFF. And of course this always occurs in the dark, because thats when
I need the generator.

....and if they had used the words On and Off you would somehow have been
able to read them in the dark?

I finally bought a permanent paint stick yesterday. The next time I get
that generator started, I'm going to write ON and OFF in big letters
above and below that switch.

....make sure you can read them in the dark.

And if I ever find the moron who labelled these switches with a LINE and
a CIRCLE, I think I'll give the ****er a black eye, knock out a few
teeth, and embed a LINE and a CIRCLE on his forehead with my pocket
knife!!!!

They are not a line and circle, they're are a 1 and 0.

Do you always use violence when you run across something that you don't
understand? Perhaps an anger management course would be helpful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 7:41:12 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Wow! That's all, just Wow!

MENS ROOM 8===

WOMENS ROOM (o) (o)

This says it like it is.......

Not always.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).

The digits one and zero. They should be obvious to anyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 6:55:28 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those who
don't.

This is the 1% when you are actually amusing! (à²*_ృ)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 06:40:11 -0400, wrote:

MENS ROOM 8===

WOMENS ROOM (o) (o)

This says it like it is.......

Not anymore
Caitlin has a dick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

Those color codes can be confusing. At work for years a switch that was red
ment stop and green ment go.

Then we started getting in some equipment from Europe. They decided the
switches on the outside of the equipment boxes ment that red was on and ment
danger and green was off and ment it was safe to open the door to the
wiring. So now in the plant there are two "standard colors" each meaning
the opposite. Too bad that OSHA or one of the several other groups that
inspect plants for safety has not stepped in and said something about that.

The zero and one for off and on has been used around the plant for a good
many years.
Sofar it has stayed the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 5:17:07 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

AFAICT, the standard for the 1/0 power symbols was introduced in
IEC 60417-5007 and 5008 in 1973.

After 43 years, I would think that most people would have figured them
out by now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:07:30 -0400
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Too bad that OSHA or one of the several other groups that
inspect plants for safety has not stepped in and said something about
that.

Too bad the company was not smart to specify the standards they wanted
when they ordered the equipment.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Too bad that OSHA or one of the several other groups that
inspect plants for safety has not stepped in and said something about
that.

Too bad the company was not smart to specify the standards they wanted
when they ordered the equipment.

They may not have had much choice. I don't know about the offical
standards, but in the US for years it was red for off or stop and green for
on or run.

Then the European standards at some time was the opposit. When the
equipment was shipped in from Europe it came the their standards. Doubt the
company would have had much say.

Most of the large equipment was ran on the US standard of 480 volts 3 phase.
We got in some of the European equipment in a very large plant addition and
it was 380 volts (think that is it, but could be off a few volts) three
phase. I was on the checkout crew after the construction company finished
installing it. No one told us about the 380 volt equipment. As part of the
check out was to calibrate some heaters we could not get the controlers to
put out 480 volts like the other parts of the plant. Measured the in
comming and found out it was 380. Just love it when the 'standard' changes
and no one is told about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

[...]

The company placing the order can specify what colors will be what.
Put it in the Specs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I once went to a restaurant in a marina, the washrooms were labeled
"inboard" and "outboard", you figure which one you belong in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-04-12, burfordTjustice wrote:

The company placing the order can specify what colors will be what.
Put it in the Specs.

Easier sed than done.

It's very difficult to spec every component. This gives sub-vendors a
lotta room to wiggle. I recall when our company subbed out it's
custom PCBs to an award winning vendor. Figured a nationally known
company that had won awards for quality/excellence to provide quality
products. We soon discovered, since we had not fully spec'd every
component, the vendor could substitute sub-std parts to improve their
profit margin. In short, we began receiving substandard PC boards
that failed. Hadda go back and spec individual component parts.
Either way, it costs us $$$$.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

wrote:
[...]

Well you are dealing with a maroon (OP) that posts idiotic threads and asks
incomplete questions rather than do a goggle search...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 8:42:06 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

I had the same thing with my waffle iron. The damned light is actually
labeled READY, but when it's on, the iron is still heating. We took
a sharpie and negated the label:

!READY

In accordance with the syntax of the C programming language.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 12:26 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I had the same thing with my waffle iron. The damned light is actually
labeled READY, but when it's on, the iron is still heating. We took
a sharpie and negated the label:

!READY

In accordance with the syntax of the C programming language.

If you think about how it is built, the light can only (realistically)
indicate that the heating element is on. E.g., I use the indicator
to tell me when I am making pizzelles too quickly; if the lamp spends
much time illuminated, it means the previous batch has soaked too much
heat out of the iron.

[Note that when it is powered off, it is also "not ready" -- despite
the fact that the lamp being off would suggest "ready".]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:26:09 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 8:42:06 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

I had the same thing with my waffle iron. The damned light is actually
labeled READY, but when it's on, the iron is still heating. We took
a sharpie and negated the label:

!READY

In accordance with the syntax of the C programming language.

Cindy Hamilton

One of my waffle irons has a clear window through which you can "see" the
heating element. Basically, you get an orange glow in the window when the
upper heater is on. As per the instructions, with the iron closed, you wait
for the "light" to go out, meaning that the element has reached max temperature
and turned off. That's when you pour the batter in. i.e. once the light out,
the iron is ready to cook.

Obviously, the batter cools the iron down, so the light (element) comes back
on. When the light (element) goes off again, the *waffle* is ready.

So in both cases, the light going out means that something is "ready" - either
the iron is ready to cook or the waffle ready to eat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 3:26 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 8:42:06 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

I had the same thing with my waffle iron. The damned light is actually
labeled READY, but when it's on, the iron is still heating. We took
a sharpie and negated the label:

!READY

In accordance with the syntax of the C programming language.

Cindy Hamilton

Actually makes some sense. Our waffle iron does not have a light, but a
glass window over the heating element. It is red when on and heating
and is dark (off) when the heating element has reached temperature,
turned off, and is ready to use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Those color codes can be confusing. At work for years a switch that was red
ment stop and green ment go.
Then we started getting in some equipment from Europe. They decided the
switches on the outside of the equipment boxes ment that red was on and ment
danger and green was off and ment it was safe to open the door to the
wiring. So now in the plant there are two "standard colors" each meaning
the opposite. Too bad that OSHA or one of the several other groups that
inspect plants for safety has not stepped in and said something about that.
The zero and one for off and on has been used around the plant for a good
many years. So far it has stayed the same.

.. from my background - which is not computer-related ..
I have never agreed with the "stop / go " train of thought -
- it seems like an attempt to over simplify things -
- things that should never be assumed or in doubt.
"Stop / Go " leaves far too many ways to screw it up -
- too much ambiguity.
" Open / Closed " always makes sense to me -
- just use-your-head to determine how it affects you -
- whether it's an electrical disconnect vs grounding switch ;
or a fluid/gas supply valve vs a drain valve ...
Depending on your jurisdiction - it might be best to ignore the
colour codes for Open / Closed ... the new-ish standards
have been ignored by some major players ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

[...]

My dad used to say "open the light". Which meant, of course, "close the
circuit".

Posted to alt.home.repair

As a ham operator, many push to talk buttons are red and the red light means you are on the air. This worked for many years.

My cell phone has a red and green button.

I am always mistakenly pressing the red button to SEND.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 14:31:13 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

wrote:

Like I'm supposed to convert this to computer code, when it's not a
computer. Do you really think those other countries, which are
probably computer illiterate will understand this? I doubt it.

It isn't really computer code, it is the binary number for the condition of
a bit (a switch).

And I suspect people in other countries are much more binary and/or computer
literate than are Americans. I was in China in the mid-80s and the only
thing I could find on TV was a program teaching Z-80 assembler.

While I know that about binary, I never even considered that on a power
switch on something that's not computer related. I did not even see it
as a ZERO and a ONE. I only saw a circle and a line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2016 07:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 3:39:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

I think I'd choose a 2-color LED, red for heating and green when ready.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2016 01:38 AM, wrote:

[snip]

I have a power generator with this kind of switch, which is for turning
on and off the engine.

The engine switch on my generator (Honda) is marked ON and OFF. The
circuit breaker too. However, I've seen a lot of switches marked 1 and 0.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

.. from the Bible ? " Let there be light ! " ?
... for an electrical light - CLOSE switch
.... but .. for a gas lamp - OPEN valve .
For giving vague orders - it might be best to say -
"energize" " de-energize" ... like Kirk & Spock.
:-) John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 5:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I think I'd choose a 2-color LED, red for heating and green when ready.

So read means it is too cool and green means is is hot. OK, got it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 2:38 AM, wrote:
Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

And what the heck does the LINE mean? (To me, it means nothing. Is it a
lower case letter "L" or upper case letter "I", or number "1", or just a
plain meaningless line.

But I'll bet your new generator came plastered with lots of safety warning labels in three languages.