Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Idiotic Rocker Switch symbols for ON & OFF

Gz wrote: "Anyway, the 1 is referenced to the ON state. 0 is OFF state. The ONLY two
states in most systems. But I also had to learn General Dynamics, dynamic
logic. ON was a pulse, OFF was no pulse. "

Honestly, I thought they stood for (I)n - as
in current flowing through the circuit, and
(O)ut - as in current blocked - not flowing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 02:38:15 -0400, wrote:

Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

What kind of switch is that? Nothing can stop an "electrician" from
wiring it wrong anyway.
Had a plumber in my house replacing my lift system pump, which has a
wall switch controlling the power.
Told him I'd flip the breaker for safety, and run a extension cord for
light.
"Nah, I'll just flip the switch." He got slightly zapped, because the
damn switch is wired backwards. Had me flip the breaker.
I never trust that a switch is wired correctly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote in
:

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 02:38:15 -0400, wrote:

Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

What kind of switch is that?

A switch that Paintedcow can't figure out how to use.

Nothing can stop an "electrician" from
wiring it wrong anyway.
Had a plumber in my house replacing my lift system pump, which has a
wall switch controlling the power.
Told him I'd flip the breaker for safety, and run a extension cord for
light.
"Nah, I'll just flip the switch." He got slightly zapped, because the
damn switch is wired backwards. Had me flip the breaker.
I never trust that a switch is wired correctly.

How can you wire an on-off switch "backwards" ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2016 10:18 AM, EXT wrote:
I once went to a restaurant in a marina, the washrooms were labeled
"inboard" and "outboard", you figure which one you belong in.

Short shaft outboard?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2016 07:46 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

[snip]

Nothing can stop an "electrician" from
wiring it wrong anyway.
Had a plumber in my house replacing my lift system pump, which has a
wall switch controlling the power.
Told him I'd flip the breaker for safety, and run a extension cord for
light.
"Nah, I'll just flip the switch." He got slightly zapped, because the
damn switch is wired backwards. Had me flip the breaker.
I never trust that a switch is wired correctly.

How can you wire an on-off switch "backwards" ?

Could that mean switching the neutral, or just one pole of a 240V circuit?

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Meaning is a human construct, and therefore I can assign life whatever
meaning I wish." - Peter Berger, in aa
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 8:46 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

"Nah, I'll just flip the switch." He got slightly zapped, because the
damn switch is wired backwards. Had me flip the breaker.
I never trust that a switch is wired correctly.

How can you wire an on-off switch "backwards" ?

I think he meant it broke the neutral, not the hot. Could be
interpreted as backwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:43:33 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

If people in other countries are too stupid to learn those two english
words, they should not be using electricity......

Why should the rest of the world have to learn English because you can't figure out
internationally-understood symbols? Sounds to me like *you're* the one who's too stupid to be
using electricity...

Why should I have to learn binary. Although I have a computer, if I did
not have one, I would not likely even know what binary means. If
anything, they could have at least used something that is meaningful to
everyone, such as a lightning bolt icon for ON and something else for
off (not sure what). (Maybe a circle with a slash in it, like NO SMOKING
and a million other NO signs have.)

I know a guy who is an auto mechanic, and damn good one too. He says he
has no idea which means ON and which means OFF on those 1 and 0
switches, and says he gets really ****ed when he sees them. He knows
absolutely nothing about computers except how to turn it on, check his
email, and go on the web. I have fixed his computer and he has fixed
stuff on my vehicles that I dont know how to do myself. The next time I
see him, and tell him those switches are labelled in binary, I already
know he's gonna say "what the **** is a binary?".

If people in other countries cant learn two simple english words, they
better stop putting using their words on the names of many of our foods.
For example, some of the time I dont know how to pronounce some of the
new items at Taco Bell, which are spanish words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:46:47 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

How can you wire an on-off switch "backwards" ?

You cant!

You can switch the wrong wires, and you can put the switch upsidedown
(from the standard way they are installed, but it's still working the
same way. It can only be ON or OFF (if it's a single pole).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 2:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 04/12/2016 07:42 AM, trader_4 wrote:

You probably won't like my Saeco espresso machine either. It has a
green light to indicate when the water is up to temp and you can
proceed. It's lit when it's heating and goes out when it's up to
temperature. It's not labeled at all. I think that's backwards,
because most people would think the green light means "ready",
not "heating". If it was at least a red light, it would make more
sense.

I think I'd choose a 2-color LED, red for heating and green when ready.

6% of men are red-green colorblind. Having a single indicator means
they can't tell whether it is red *or* green.

OTOH, having two different indicators (which can be different colors if your
marketing folks think that's sexxy) allows them to determine "WHICH is lit".

Of course, you can always put a LEGEND on the indicator explaining what it
is signalling...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:49:09 PM UTC-4, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the 6% red-green colorblindness is why many electronic gadgets are going to a blue light to indicate on instead of green.

What I find really incomprehensible is that my TV has a red light to indicate that the set is off; when you turn it on, the red indicator light goes off. I think that the lack of a picture and sound would be indicator enough that the set is off.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:45:00 -0700, Don Y wrote:

6% of men are red-green colorblind.

It's slightly more (~8%; higher with those of North European ancestry), but
more to the point, they never seem to complain much about how society
ignores them.

The worst case I can think of are colour-coded diodes where there are two
junctions in the same device so it can light up red, yellow, or green
depending on which leads are powered.

--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 7:31 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I wonder if the 6% red-green colorblindness is why many electronic gadgets
are going to a blue light to indicate on instead of green.

I think blue is just the latest "sexxy" color. I can remember when
yellow, green, etc. were "all the rage" -- because everything prior
had been RED!

Blue is actually a terrible color for night-time use as it interferes
with sleep.

What I find really incomprehensible is that my TV has a red light to
indicate that the set is off; when you turn it on, the red indicator light
goes off. I think that the lack of a picture and sound would be indicator
enough that the set is off.

Ours is red when off ("in standby"), green when on (as if the many square
feet of illuminated surface were not a good enough indicator?) and black
when not powered.

I *guess* I can see the rationale to indicate to the user that the set
is "ready to be powered on" (red lamp) vs. "no chance of responding to the
remote" (black).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 7:32 PM, Mike Duffy wrote:
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:45:00 -0700, Don Y wrote:

6% of men are red-green colorblind.

It's slightly more (~8%; higher with those of North European ancestry), but

I think that aaddresses *all* forms of color-blindness -- I was reffering to
just red-green colorblindness.

more to the point, they never seem to complain much about how society
ignores them.

My dad was colorblind. When he went for his driving test (around the
time automobiles were invented : ), they checked for color just
by asking him "what color is the light" (using a traffic signal).

Of course, he could see *which* light was lit and thereby correctly
indicate what color it *should* be!

The examiner suspected this and had him turn away. Then, flipped the
signal on its side. Without knowing where the top of the signal
was located, any of the "end" lights were crap shoots! :

[By contrast, when I had my eyes tested, here (DMV), I was shown
a circular field filled with dots of many colors -- like looking
into a petri dish that had lots of different microorganism colonies
growing! And, asked, "What number do you see?" I couldn't answer;
not because I couldn't see THE number but, rather, because I couldn't
figure out WHICH number (digit) they wanted me to see.

In frustration, I said, "Which number do you WANT me to see?" And,
quickly realized this was not the sort of thing you wanted to say to
a bored DMV worker! So, I immediately followed up with: "I see a
red 2, a green 4, a blue 5, a yellow 7, ..." Apparently one of those
was the one "normal" people were expected to see...]

What I found most alarming was mentioning this to a neighbor who is
partially responsible for approving curriculum (textbooks, etc.) in
the local school system. She was convinced I was bullsh*tting her!
I said, "with 1 in 15 males having some form of colorblindness, that
means there is one boy in EACH class (on average) that can't answer the
'How many GREEN balls does mary have?' question if mary also has RED
balls:.

Convinced that I was wrong -- that she could be IGNORANT of something that
significant -- she brought up the question in one of her online discussion
groups. "Gee, Don was right!"

How the hell can folks like this be put in positions where they are
responsible for making those types of decisions -- without knowing
even the *basics*?

The worst case I can think of are colour-coded diodes where there are two
junctions in the same device so it can light up red, yellow, or green
depending on which leads are powered.

Exactly. There's no other information channel besides color, in that case.
(if there are two lamps, then you can presumably see which is lit and
which is dark)

Imagine two buttons -- one red and one green -- with no other differentiating
features (size, shape, guards, legends, etc.). How many times do folks have
to "guess wrong" before you realize you need to augment the information
channel?

"OK, Bill. You're almost done. All you have to do to finish disarming the
device is cut the wire to the detonator. That's the *green* wire, Bill..."

"Bill? Are you there, Bill? I seem to have lost contact with Bill. Can
anybody tell me what happened to Bill?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/12/2016 10:31 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

What I find really incomprehensible is that my TV has a red light to indicate that the set is off; when you turn it on, the red indicator light goes off. I think that the lack of a picture and sound would be indicator enough that the set is off.

Paul

Not that simple. Lack of picture and sound can happen with the TV on.
It can happen if the cable or sat box is off, if the receiver is off, if
the input is on the wrong setting, sound bar is off, etc.

My TV can be on if the Sat box goes off on energy saver and I'd not know
without an indicator.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 02:38:15 -0400, wrote:

Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

I have No and Fo switches in some of my rooms.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 23:23:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You don't have to learn binary, you just have to remember 0 is off. I
do like the lightening bolt idea though.

Now that I know what it means, I wont forget it. But I had no clue what
it meant before I posted this. Since this generator was used, I dont
have a manual. All I saw was a line and a circle, which meant nothing to
me. Since I seldom use the generator, I always forgot which position was
ON, because the symbols meant nothing to me. I would bet a large
percentage of people have no clue what those symbols mean.

Yea, I think the lightning bolt would say something. Most people would
understand that a lot easier.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:40:18 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

Blue is actually a terrible color for night-time use as it interferes
with sleep.

HUH????
Why do you say that?

I have a string of multi-colored holiday LED lights in my bedroom, along
edge of ceiling, for a night light, because I dont like total darkness
when I sleep. It has blue bulbs, as well as red, green, yellow, and
orange. Dont bother my sleep at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:58:33 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

'How many GREEN balls does mary have?' question if mary also has RED
balls:.

If Mary has balls, Mary must be a transvestite !!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/12/2016 11:31 PM, wrote:

There is an international symbol for almost everything and some are rather obscure.

However, this image nailed it:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item-img/B...478922408.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If people in other countries are too stupid to learn those two english
words, they should not be using electricity......

Why should the rest of the world have to learn English because you can't figure out
internationally-understood symbols? Sounds to me like *you're* the one who's too stupid to be
using electricity...

Why should I have to learn binary. Although I have a computer, if I did
not have one, I would not likely even know what binary means. If
anything, they could have at least used something that is meaningful to
everyone, such as a lightning bolt icon for ON and something else for
off (not sure what). (Maybe a circle with a slash in it, like NO SMOKING
and a million other NO signs have.)

A lightening bolt is often used as a symbol to warn people about the possibility
of electrocution. I don't think that it would make a good "On" symbol. No one would
ever use the switch for fear of getting shocked.

Besides, why would memorizing one type of global symbol be any easier than
memorizing another? You still have know what the symbol means in the first
place. Would people just automatically know that a lightening bolt means On?
Wouldn't you need some way of associating a lightening bolt with electricity?
If I know nothing about electricity a lightening bolt is not going to help anymore
than a 1 or a V (voltage) or a C (current) or anything else associated with electricity.

I know a guy who is an auto mechanic, and damn good one too. He says he
has no idea which means ON and which means OFF on those 1 and 0
switches, and says he gets really ****ed when he sees them. He knows
absolutely nothing about computers except how to turn it on, check his
email, and go on the web. I have fixed his computer and he has fixed
stuff on my vehicles that I dont know how to do myself. The next time I
see him, and tell him those switches are labelled in binary, I already
know he's gonna say "what the **** is a binary?".

If people in other countries cant learn two simple english words, they
better stop putting using their words on the names of many of our foods.
For example, some of the time I dont know how to pronounce some of the
new items at Taco Bell, which are spanish words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Who turned the OPs computer on?

He's typing on a computer, right?

Every computer I've ever seen had 1 for on and 0 for off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2016 7:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A lightening bolt is often used as a symbol to warn people about the possibility
of electrocution. I don't think that it would make a good "On" symbol. No one would
ever use the switch for fear of getting shocked.

OK, good point.

Besides, why would memorizing one type of global symbol be any easier than
memorizing another?

Really???? Simple association. If on the restrooms they used a letter
T and a letter S would you immediately know which it is? But you
quickly recognize the profile of a dress and slacks for man or woman.
You expect to see something like that any easily associate.

For a switch to be on there are other simple symbols such as the
lightbulb with the lines around the globe indicating it is on would work
as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/13/2016 8:22 AM, TimR wrote:
Who turned the OPs computer on?

He's typing on a computer, right?

Every computer I've ever seen had 1 for on and 0 for off.

Poor analogy. Every computer I have has only one button, no choices to
make. The power button has both symbols, and I surrounded by the O.
No need to figure out which one to push.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 8:51:12 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/13/2016 8:22 AM, TimR wrote:
Who turned the OPs computer on?

He's typing on a computer, right?

Every computer I've ever seen had 1 for on and 0 for off.

Poor analogy. Every computer I have has only one button, no choices to
make. The power button has both symbols, and I surrounded by the O.
No need to figure out which one to push.

Ah. You're right, they don't all have rocker switches. My bad. However, the old computers all had rocker switches, the printers still mostly have rocker switches, copiers have them, etc.

And every rocker switch I've seen for the last 30 or 40 years has had a 1 and a 0. I've never seen one with On and Off, maybe they exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote: "6% of men are red-green colorblind. Having a single indicator means
they can't tell whether it is red *or* green. "

What's the percentage for those who
can't tell Navy Blue from Black? I
often go out wearing mixed navy and
black socks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 8:24:44 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Don Y wrote: "6% of men are red-green colorblind. Having a single indicator means
they can't tell whether it is red *or* green. "

What's the percentage for those who
can't tell Navy Blue from Black? I
often go out wearing mixed navy and
black socks!

....turn the light-on when you're looking at them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 8:48:22 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 4/13/2016 7:47 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

A lightening bolt is often used as a symbol to warn people about the possibility
of electrocution. I don't think that it would make a good "On" symbol. No one would
ever use the switch for fear of getting shocked.

OK, good point.

Besides, why would memorizing one type of global symbol be any easier than
memorizing another?

Really????

Why do people use more than one question mark and/or exclamation point? Is
there any grammatical convention that denotes that as proper punctuation?
(Sorry..that's just a pet peeve of mine.)

Simple association. If on the restrooms they used a letter
T and a letter S would you immediately know which it is? But you
quickly recognize the profile of a dress and slacks for man or woman.
You expect to see something like that any easily associate.

Only if you already have a reference as a starting point. What if slacks
weren't a part of your culture? Let's say I dropped 2 Porta-Potties in the
desert and showed the guys picture below what they were and how to use them.
I then closed the doors, but did not explain the what the dress and slacks
symbols meant. Would they be able to determine which one to use based on the
symbols?

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam...ge-gallery.jpg

Before you jump all over me about the "civilized world" vs. African tribes,
please understand my point, even if I did take it to an extreme: You need some familiarity of the symbols used before you can make an association. If you
don't already know that a 1 means On, you'll be confused, just like the
Paint-Meister. If you don't know what slacks are, you won't know that they
symbolize male vs. female. If that's the case, memorizing one symbol vs. any
other is nothing more than that: memorization.

Just like the Paint-Meister, you are starting at a point of reference where
already have a understanding of the symbols used. If a person doesn't know
what a 1 means or a lighten bolt means or what a stick figure dressed in
slacks means, then none of those symbols carry any more weight than the others
as far as being able to be automatically associated with anything.

For a switch to be on there are other simple symbols such as the
lightbulb with the lines around the globe indicating it is on would work
as well.

Again, you still need a reference. Those guys from Tanzania may not know
even know what a light bulb is. In fact, in just a few generations, the
light bulb shape that you offered may not mean anything to anyone since familiarity with the shape a standard incandescent bulb may no longer exist.
The only way a person in the year 2525 will know that it means "On" will be
based solely on memorization.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Who turned the OPs computer on?

He's typing on a computer, right?

Every computer I've ever seen had 1 for on and 0 for off.

I have a couple of power supplies out of some of the first or second
generation IBM type computers. They are marked with both the O I and off
on.

Most desk top computers do not have an off/on switch as such, just a button
to press, same as many laptops. The computers are never really all the way
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Really???? Simple association. If on the restrooms they used a letter T
and a letter S would you immediately know which it is? But you quickly
recognize the profile of a dress and slacks for man or woman. You expect
to see something like that any easily associate.

Seems that the states are getting away from men and womens restrooms. Just
go in which ever one you want to and claim you are a LGBT person.

North Carolina just passed a law about trying to keep seperate rest rooms
and have just lost much business due to the law.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" writes:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

Really???? Simple association. If on the restrooms they used a letter T
and a letter S would you immediately know which it is? But you quickly
recognize the profile of a dress and slacks for man or woman. You expect
to see something like that any easily associate.

Seems that the states are getting away from men and womens restrooms. Just
go in which ever one you want to and claim you are a LGBT person.

North Carolina just passed a law about trying to keep seperate rest rooms
and have just lost much business due to the law.

Whereas genderless (shared) restrooms have been common in europe for decades.