Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Maker Rocker Switch?

Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping.

If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the
ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together?

Frigidaire Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 3:22:02 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -

OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not

stay in the ON position.

The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping.

If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the

ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together?

Frigidaire Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html

Yes, you can just temporarily connect the two wires together
for testing. I don't know the voltage, would treat it as 120V
and proceed accordingly.

You have the part #, I'd look on Ebay, amazon, search for switch #.
A lot of times these switches are used across a lot of appliances and
there are sellers on Ebay where you might find it for a lot less.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping.

If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the
ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together?

Frigidaire Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html

Shorting the switch wires should work, but be aware of something...

My GE's ice maker is wired through the switch that controls the freezer
light. When the door is opened and the light comes on, the power to the ice
maker is cut off.

Since my ice maker has a drawer that slides out, they kill the power to the
ice maker so that it won't dump ice on the bottom of the freezer should it
just happen to be at that point of it's cycle when the drawer is pulled
out. It was probably easier to wire it through the light switch than add a
separate switch at the drawer.

To test the ice maker with the door open, the user has to remember to press
the light switch in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 21:17:26 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Oren wrote:
Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping.

If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the
ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together?

Frigidaire Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html

Shorting the switch wires should work, but be aware of something...

2 votes yes thanks trader

My GE's ice maker is wired through the switch that controls the freezer
light. When the door is opened and the light comes on, the power to the ice
maker is cut off.

Since my ice maker has a drawer that slides out, they kill the power to the
ice maker so that it won't dump ice on the bottom of the freezer should it
just happen to be at that point of it's cycle when the drawer is pulled
out. It was probably easier to wire it through the light switch than add a
separate switch at the drawer.

To test the ice maker with the door open, the user has to remember to press
the light switch in.

I tried it both ways by pressing the door switch. The rocker switch
will not stay on. The link above is the best price so far. Seems like
places want to sell an entire kit - not just the single IM switch.
Will look locally on Monday if the jumper makes IM work.

The link above, the switch is marked 3A 125VAC. Can not read all the
markings due to the photo overlay.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:

[...]

Sometimes if there is a number and manufacturer on the
old switch itself you can google to find the switch from
some other source too as opposed to going by the KA part
#. A rocker switch like that could be used in a lot of
products.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

A question...

Did this ice maker work right up until it stopped working and that's when
you found the switch to be not quite On?

I know that sounds like a strange question, but the part I don't get is why
would the switch suddenly jump from On to a mid point between On and Off?
That's not typically how a switch goes bad. A circuit breaker will pop to
mid-way, but not usually a switch.

Did the ice maker stop working, causing you to rock it from fully On to
fully Off and then not be able to have it stay fully On or did it find the
mid point by itself?

After I took the switch out, I might bench test it before I shorted the
wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 22:51:07 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The link above, the switch is marked 3A 125VAC. Can not read all the
markings due to the photo overlay.

Thanks.

A question...

Did this ice maker work right up until it stopped working and that's when
you found the switch to be not quite On?

The IM had an ice log, which the wife removed the ice tray and cleaned
the unit out. After that, it has not made ice _at all_ even after I
toggled the switch to ensure it was on. The switch had never been
turned off before. So I figured it was not from wear and tear. It
doesn't stay in the ON position.

I know that sounds like a strange question, but the part I don't get is why
would the switch suddenly jump from On to a mid point between On and Off?
That's not typically how a switch goes bad. A circuit breaker will pop to
mid-way, but not usually a switch.

I could not figure what the switch would not stay on. It jumps back to
about center, but not to the OFF position - like is won't snap too ON.
I was thinking it was bad or broke.

The IM rotates the tray auger from the door ice paddle, just no ice is
being made. The water paddle gives water.

Did the ice maker stop working, causing you to rock it from fully On to
fully Off and then not be able to have it stay fully On or did it find the
mid point by itself?

Sorta - when it was not making ice was the first time I had ever
touched the switch. I will not stay in the ON position.

After I took the switch out, I might bench test it before I shorted the
wires.

Okay. I've been looking into the possibility the water valve is bad
or the ice maker itself. A new filter has been put in. The motor
turns the auger and I get water at the door.

My thinking is the switch broke. No leaks anywhere from the water
valve. But I suppose by checking the switch first (cheapest) before
moving on the water valve of ice maker unit.

Trying to work the simply, least costly, first. I'm pull the switch
out tomorrow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message ...

Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping.

If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the
ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together?

Frigidaire Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html

No. The switch is mounted on the ice maker, which can be turned OFF /
ON, regardless of the door being closed of opened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 12:22:02 -0800, Oren wrote:

Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

And it used to be in the ON position all the time??**

The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping.

If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the
ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together?

Yes. Radio Shack sells a bag of 10 jumper wires in 5 colors for a
reasonable price. They have a 100 uses. One is to put them on the
ends of test leads so you don't have to hold both leads while you
measure something. Here you might want to measure the voltage between
the two wires you'll be jumping, and especially with the ice and water,
it's good to get a "permanent" grip with an alligator clip on one or
even both leads. Use one hand only, which you can't do without
alligator clipping one of the leads at least.

What I think I would do is leave the wires jumped for a day or two and
see if it makes ice then.

Frigidaire Switch:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html

Also, while you have the switch out, especailly after you've confirmed
that its' bad, you might take it apart. I'm pretty sure I've fixed one
or two such things over the last 40 years, maybe by throwing away a
little piece of plastic that broke off and is in the way keeping it from
going all the way in one direction.

**Hey, if you never turn the ice maker off, you can skp the switch and
just connect the two leads. Heat shrink tubing, or silicon tape, which
when stretched and applied tightly, in a day or less turns into one big
waterproof blob. Heat shrink is better when the wire starts off in
two pieces.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 20:25:45 -0500, micky
wrote:

**Hey, if you never turn the ice maker off, you can skp the switch and
just connect the two leads. Heat shrink tubing, or silicon tape, which
when stretched and applied tightly, in a day or less turns into one big
waterproof blob. Heat shrink is better when the wire starts off in
two pieces.

I can make my own jumper. I'm not interested in a permanent
connection with shrink wrap. It defeats the _purpose_ of the switch.

OFF/ON for vacation

OFF/ON for moving across town or such

....and so on

Just need to ensure the water from the valve flows into the IM, since
the switch will not function at this time.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

**Hey, if you never turn the ice maker off, you can skp the switch and
just connect the two leads. Heat shrink tubing, or silicon tape, which
when stretched and applied tightly, in a day or less turns into one big
waterproof blob. Heat shrink is better when the wire starts off in
two pieces.

I can make my own jumper. I'm not interested in a permanent
connection with shrink wrap. It defeats the _purpose_ of the switch.

OFF/ON for vacation

OFF/ON for moving across town or such

...and so on

Just need to ensure the water from the valve flows into the IM, since
the switch will not function at this time.

Thanks.

Pull the switch and check with your local electrical supply
distributor. In many cases an "off the shelf" switch will fit - and as
it is a simple SPST switch, ANY switch will electrically do the job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2014 5:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
A question...

Did this ice maker work right up until it stopped working and that's when
you found the switch to be not quite On?

I know that sounds like a strange question, but the part I don't get is why
would the switch suddenly jump from On to a mid point between On and Off?
That's not typically how a switch goes bad. A circuit breaker will pop to
mid-way, but not usually a switch.

Did the ice maker stop working, causing you to rock it from fully On to
fully Off and then not be able to have it stay fully On or did it find the
mid point by itself?

After I took the switch out, I might bench test it before I shorted the
wires.

Some rocker switches have spring loaded internal
gadget that can break. Seems strange, as an ice
maker rocker switch isn't likely to get cycled
at all.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2014 8:25 PM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 12:22:02 -0800, Oren wrote:

Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

**Hey, if you never turn the ice maker off, you can skp the switch and
just connect the two leads. Heat shrink tubing, or silicon tape, which
when stretched and applied tightly, in a day or less turns into one big
waterproof blob. Heat shrink is better when the wire starts off in
two pieces.

I did that with the lid safety switch on my old
washing machine. I live alone, and no pets or
children were killed in the operation of my
washing machine. In the case of your ice maker,
I'd jump it out (safely if possible) and see if
that helps.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 21:44:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 2/8/2014 8:25 PM, micky wrote:
On Sat, 08 Feb 2014 12:22:02 -0800, Oren wrote:

Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch -
OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not
stay in the ON position.

**Hey, if you never turn the ice maker off, you can skp the switch and
just connect the two leads. Heat shrink tubing, or silicon tape, which
when stretched and applied tightly, in a day or less turns into one big
waterproof blob. Heat shrink is better when the wire starts off in
two pieces.

I did that with the lid safety switch on my old
washing machine. I live alone, and no pets or
children were killed in the operation of my
washing machine. In the case of your ice maker,
I'd jump it out (safely if possible) and see if
that helps.

With my first washing machine, that I'd found on the street in front of
my apartment building, I spent an hour drilling the rivets out of the
lid switch and repairing the switch and reinstalling it, and then I
immediately stuff a paper wad in the slot so the switch would be closed
even when the lid was open. Somehow, the "wasted" hour didn't bother
me at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:22:02 PM UTC-6, Oren wrote:
Ice Maker stopped making ice. I suspect it is the rocker switch - OFF/ON. When move it to ON it moves back to the middle and will not stay in the ON position. The switch will be ~ $30 online with shipping. If I pop the switch out, remove it, how can I bypass it to test the ice maker again - do I just jumper the two wires together? Frigidaire Switch: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-switch-kit-5304465210-ap4327325.html

A photo of the switch after or before it is removed would be a big help!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2014 8:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some rocker switches have spring loaded internal
gadget that can break. Seems strange, as an ice
maker rocker switch isn't likely to get cycled
at all.

Um, think about it. The switch gets cycled every time the ice
is ejected. Lever goes full up, then comes back down. If the
lever contacts ice the switch is not engaged and the ice maker
only fills with water and the cycle will not restart until the
ice level goes down enough to engage the switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve F." wrote:
On 2/8/2014 8:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some rocker switches have spring loaded internal
gadget that can break. Seems strange, as an ice
maker rocker switch isn't likely to get cycled
at all.

Um, think about it. The switch gets cycled every time the ice
is ejected. Lever goes full up, then comes back down. If the
lever contacts ice the switch is not engaged and the ice maker
only fills with water and the cycle will not restart until the
ice level goes down enough to engage the switch.

The On-Off rocker switch on my ice maker is not involved in the ice making
cycle in any manner. It is nothing more than an On-Off switch, mounted on
the front of the ice maker, no where near any moving parts. It hasn't been
cycled in many, many years.

I haven't looked into Oren's freezer, but I'm guessing the switch he is
talking about is also not involved in the ice making cycle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/8/2014 11:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

The On-Off rocker switch on my ice maker is not involved in the ice making
cycle in any manner. It is nothing more than an On-Off switch, mounted on
the front of the ice maker, no where near any moving parts. It hasn't been
cycled in many, many years.

I haven't looked into Oren's freezer, but I'm guessing the switch he is
talking about is also not involved in the ice making cycle.

I must be thinking of a different type of switch/part of the controls,
then. What I am thinking of is the lever that goes up and down each
cycle, and is forced up to turn off the ice maker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2014 12:14 AM, Steve F. wrote:
On 2/8/2014 8:38 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Some rocker switches have spring loaded internal
gadget that can break. Seems strange, as an ice
maker rocker switch isn't likely to get cycled
at all.

Um, think about it. The switch gets cycled every time the ice
is ejected. Lever goes full up, then comes back down. If the
lever contacts ice the switch is not engaged and the ice maker
only fills with water and the cycle will not restart until the
ice level goes down enough to engage the switch.

Uhm, think about it. He meant the ROCKER SWITCH which
is on the end of the ice maker. The rocker switch
that allows one to turn off the ice maker. Here is a
photo of a typical one:
http://www.freewtc.com/images/produc...ch_8_19127.jpg

The switch is activated only when the family is on
vacation. Or no longer wants ice.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 07:11:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Uhm, think about it. He meant the ROCKER SWITCH which
is on the end of the ice maker. The rocker switch
that allows one to turn off the ice maker. Here is a
photo of a typical one:
http://www.freewtc.com/images/produc...ch_8_19127.jpg

The switch is activated only when the family is on
vacation. Or no longer wants ice.

Correct. I'll make a follow-up later. The rocker switch is still my
focus, for now, as to the problem on the ice maker not making ice.

Didn't get my "round tuit" today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uhm, think about it. He meant the ROCKER SWITCH which
is on the end of the ice maker. The rocker switch
that allows one to turn off the ice maker. Here is a
photo of a typical one:
http://www.freewtc.com/images/produc...ch_8_19127.jpg

The switch is activated only when the family is on
vacation. Or no longer wants ice.

Correct. I'll make a follow-up later. The rocker switch is still my
focus, for now, as to the problem on the ice maker not making ice.

Didn't get my "round tuit" today.

Do you really turn off your ice maker when you go on vacation? Why?

What else do you turn off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Uhm, think about it. He meant the ROCKER SWITCH which
is on the end of the ice maker. The rocker switch
that allows one to turn off the ice maker. Here is a
photo of a typical one:
http://www.freewtc.com/images/produc...ch_8_19127.jpg

The switch is activated only when the family is on
vacation. Or no longer wants ice.

Correct. I'll make a follow-up later. The rocker switch is still my
focus, for now, as to the problem on the ice maker not making ice.

Didn't get my "round tuit" today.

Do you really turn off your ice maker when you go on vacation? Why?

No. I never heard of this; until I read the owners manual for the
refrigerator - troubleshooting the ice maker. Amazing what you find
out in those pages.

What else do you turn off?

Let me think. Oh, Oh, nothing.

Page 20 bottom. (PDF) Short / Long Vacations.

http://kitchen.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/frigidaire/240389309.html?idRes=668483