Sam

Default Combined dimmer/rocker twin switch where?

I'm on a environmental crusade :-) Everywhere I can I am replacing the
incandescent bulbs in my house with low energy bulbs.

I want to replace the bulb in the lounge with a LE but want to keep the wall
lights on an a dimmer.

Thing is, the switch is a single width twin unit and ideally to save having
to chop the box out and add a dual with seperate switches I want to find a
unit with a dimmer and a rocker switch. I've had a look around the online
suppliers and can't find such a thing.

So does anyone know where I can get one?

TIA

Sam

Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:06:35 -0000, "Sam" wrote:

I'm on a environmental crusade :-) Everywhere I can I am replacing the
incandescent bulbs in my house with low energy bulbs.

Oh dear.....

I want to replace the bulb in the lounge with a LE but want to keep the wall
lights on an a dimmer.

Thing is, the switch is a single width twin unit and ideally to save having
to chop the box out and add a dual with seperate switches I want to find a
unit with a dimmer and a rocker switch. I've had a look around the online
suppliers and can't find such a thing.

So does anyone know where I can get one?

Have a look at MK Grid stuff.

You can fit a 250W dimmer and a rocker switch into a single box.
However, it does need to be deeper than the very shallowest boxes
normally used for light switches

TIA

Sam

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Lobster

"Sam" wrote in message
I'm on a environmental crusade :-) Everywhere I can I am replacing the
incandescent bulbs in my house with low energy bulbs.

I want to replace the bulb in the lounge with a LE but want to keep the
wall lights on an a dimmer.

Thing is, the switch is a single width twin unit and ideally to save
having to chop the box out and add a dual with seperate switches I want to
find a unit with a dimmer and a rocker switch. I've had a look around the
online suppliers and can't find such a thing.

I remember once trying and faililng to find one, too! Odd, you wouldn't
think it was that unusual a requirement.

As an alternative solution, IIRC I think I saw mention of a dimmable
low-energy bulb somewhere recently - could be wrong, of course.

David

Lurch

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:06:35 -0000, "Sam" strung
together this:

So does anyone know where I can get one?

You won't get one as a single unit.
You'll have to get a 'grid switch', which comes as seperate parts,
those parts being;

1 normal rocker switch.
1 dimmer.
1 'yoke', (frame to mount the above into'
1 faceplate, 2 gang, (to screw over the front of the above assembly).

Probably best to nip down your local electrical wholesaler, they'll
have the bits on the shelf and will know what you're on about.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
:::Jerry::::

"Lurch" wrote in message
snip
[ re grid switch type components ]

Probably best to nip down your local electrical wholesaler, they'll
have the bits on the shelf and will know what you're on about.

The strange thins is, if you want MK you might have better luck going to B&Q
!

All four of my local trade electrical factor don't stock (but can order) MK
grid components, B&Q have most of the common parts on the shelf - go
figure...

Lurch

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:07:25 -0000, ":::Jerry::::"
strung together this:

All four of my local trade electrical factor don't stock (but can order) MK
grid components, B&Q have most of the common parts on the shelf - go
figure...

Impresive, between all my local wholesalers, (Senate, Edmundsons,
Neweys, AC, Lockwells, CEF and a couple of smaller local ones), I
think I've got prettty much every brand covered! Apart from aerials
that is, no-one locally has any decent aerials or masts and brackets.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Mathew J. Newton

Sam wrote:

Thing is, the switch is a single width twin unit and ideally to save

having
to chop the box out and add a dual with seperate switches I want to

find a
unit with a dimmer and a rocker switch. I've had a look around the

online
suppliers and can't find such a thing.

So does anyone know where I can get one?

The following is a 'dimmer style' module that functions only as a
push-on/off switch.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLSM.html

Would this do?

Mathew

Sam

Have a look at MK Grid stuff.

You can fit a 250W dimmer and a rocker switch into a single box.
However, it does need to be deeper than the very shallowest boxes
normally used for light switches

I had a look at the MK Grid stuff on TLC on your advice. Looked just the
ticket - till I checked the dimmer modules. £26+ VAT for a dimmer
module?!!!!

It would take quite few kilowatts of savings to justify that.

Now where's that bolster? :-)

Cheers

Sam

Andy Hall

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:09:42 -0000, "Sam" wrote:

Have a look at MK Grid stuff.

You can fit a 250W dimmer and a rocker switch into a single box.
However, it does need to be deeper than the very shallowest boxes
normally used for light switches

I had a look at the MK Grid stuff on TLC on your advice. Looked just the
ticket - till I checked the dimmer modules. £26+ VAT for a dimmer
module?!!!!

It would take quite few kilowatts of savings to justify that.

The MK4500 series are soft start dimmers - I have a number of them in
my kitchen for the halogen lights and elsewhere for R63 spots.

They extend the life of both, so the payback is in bulbs.

Now where's that bolster? :-)

Cheers

Sam

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Lurch
wrote:

Apart from aerials
that is, no-one locally has any decent aerials or masts and brackets.

Where are you? I might know of somewhere.

Lurch

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:19:13 +0000, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
strung together this:

Apart from aerials
that is, no-one locally has any decent aerials or masts and brackets.

Where are you? I might know of somewhere.

The arse end of nowhere...... Shrewsbury!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Owain

"Lurch" wrote
| Apart from aerials
| that is, no-one locally has any decent aerials or masts and brackets.
| Where are you? I might know of somewhere.
| The arse end of nowhere...... Shrewsbury!

Eeh, when I were a lad growin' up in t' shadow of Blaenplwyf, Shrewsbury
were t' big metropolis. It 'ad a Argos and a sex shop did Shrewsbury.

Owain