Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Idiotic Rocker Switch symbols for ON & OFF

On 4/12/2016 7:31 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
I wonder if the 6% red-green colorblindness is why many electronic gadgets
are going to a blue light to indicate on instead of green.

I think blue is just the latest "sexxy" color. I can remember when
yellow, green, etc. were "all the rage" -- because everything prior
had been RED!

Blue is actually a terrible color for night-time use as it interferes
with sleep.

What I find really incomprehensible is that my TV has a red light to
indicate that the set is off; when you turn it on, the red indicator light
goes off. I think that the lack of a picture and sound would be indicator
enough that the set is off.

Ours is red when off ("in standby"), green when on (as if the many square
feet of illuminated surface were not a good enough indicator?) and black
when not powered.

I *guess* I can see the rationale to indicate to the user that the set
is "ready to be powered on" (red lamp) vs. "no chance of responding to the
remote" (black).