Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Idiotic Rocker Switch symbols for ON & OFF

Those color codes can be confusing. At work for years a switch that was red
ment stop and green ment go.
Then we started getting in some equipment from Europe. They decided the
switches on the outside of the equipment boxes ment that red was on and ment
danger and green was off and ment it was safe to open the door to the
wiring. So now in the plant there are two "standard colors" each meaning
the opposite. Too bad that OSHA or one of the several other groups that
inspect plants for safety has not stepped in and said something about that.
The zero and one for off and on has been used around the plant for a good
many years. So far it has stayed the same.

.. from my background - which is not computer-related ..
I have never agreed with the "stop / go " train of thought -
- it seems like an attempt to over simplify things -
- things that should never be assumed or in doubt.
"Stop / Go " leaves far too many ways to screw it up -
- too much ambiguity.
" Open / Closed " always makes sense to me -
- just use-your-head to determine how it affects you -
- whether it's an electrical disconnect vs grounding switch ;
or a fluid/gas supply valve vs a drain valve ...
Depending on your jurisdiction - it might be best to ignore the
colour codes for Open / Closed ... the new-ish standards
have been ignored by some major players ..
John T.