Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Idiotic Rocker Switch symbols for ON & OFF

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 5:17:07 AM UTC-4, Gz wrote:
wrote:
Here is a picture of a rocker switch designed by idiots.
http://cpc.farnell.com/productimages...SW05301-40.jpg

Instead of putting the words ON and OFF on it, they put a LINE and a
CIRCLE. (Which means absolutly nothing).
Both words ON and OFF begin with an "O". If that circle is an "O", it's
worthless. Or maybe it's a number zero. "0".

And what the heck does the LINE mean? (To me, it means nothing. Is it a
lower case letter "L" or upper case letter "I", or number "1", or just a
plain meaningless line.

Whoever began labelling switches this way, should be fired from their
job, and be sent to prison for the rest of their life, for creating a
dangerous product.

Why cant they just put the words "ON" and "OFF" on the switches? If the
full word wont fit, them put "N" and "F" (oN & oFf).

I have a power generator with this kind of switch, which is for turning
on and off the engine. Because those symbols make no logical sense. I
can never remember which is ON and which is OFF. I just start to pull
the rope on the generator and if it wont start, I flip the switch to the
other position. Hopefully it will start in one of the positions. That's
of I dont flood the engine from pulling the rope with that switch on the
wrong position.

Since I dont use the generator often, the next time I need it, I'll once
again have to play the guessing game to determine which is ON and which
is OFF. And of course this always occurs in the dark, because thats when
I need the generator.

I finally bought a permanent paint stick yesterday. The next time I get
that generator started, I'm going to write ON and OFF in big letters
above and below that switch.

And if I ever find the moron who labelled these switches with a LINE and
a CIRCLE, I think I'll give the ****er a black eye, knock out a few
teeth, and embed a LINE and a CIRCLE on his forehead with my pocket
knife!!!!

It's 1s and 0s in the digital world. I don't know when they started that on
switches. It's use is not apparent to many. I started running computer
panels in 1969. An octal 7070 would look like 111 000 111 000 in a series
of 12 togle switches. 3 bit bytes. I'm sure on the back of the computer
supply said on off. I can figure out many auto symbols either. Cigarette
was easy.

Anyway, the 1 is referenced to the ON state. 0 is OFF state. The ONLY two
states in most systems. But I also had to learn General Dynamics, dynamic
logic. ON was a pulse, OFF was no pulse.

Greg

AFAICT, the standard for the 1/0 power symbols was introduced in
IEC 60417-5007 and 5008 in 1973.

After 43 years, I would think that most people would have figured them
out by now.

Well you are dealing with a maroon (OP) that posts idiotic threads and asks
incomplete questions rather than do a goggle search...

--
Tekkie