Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Idiotic Rocker Switch symbols for ON & OFF

"burfordTjustice" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 10:07:30 -0400
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Too bad that OSHA or one of the several other groups that
inspect plants for safety has not stepped in and said something about
that.

Too bad the company was not smart to specify the standards they wanted
when they ordered the equipment.

They may not have had much choice. I don't know about the offical
standards, but in the US for years it was red for off or stop and green for
on or run.

Then the European standards at some time was the opposit. When the
equipment was shipped in from Europe it came the their standards. Doubt the
company would have had much say.

Most of the large equipment was ran on the US standard of 480 volts 3 phase.
We got in some of the European equipment in a very large plant addition and
it was 380 volts (think that is it, but could be off a few volts) three
phase. I was on the checkout crew after the construction company finished
installing it. No one told us about the 380 volt equipment. As part of the
check out was to calibrate some heaters we could not get the controlers to
put out 480 volts like the other parts of the plant. Measured the in
comming and found out it was 380. Just love it when the 'standard' changes
and no one is told about it.