Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2015-07-28, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

It should be outlawed and all of Monsanto prosecuted for crimes
against nature.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:04:58 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

There is and old thread here were a poster added another chemical to
the RU and it killed the PI. bhaller, maybe? RU alone would not kill
it, iirc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2015 11:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Aren't there various varieties of "RoundUp" -- for different weeds?

We don't have poison ivy, but we have poison sumac, and a weedkiller
specifically labeled as being for poison ivy, oak, sumac, etc. (don't
recall the brand or name) leaves our poison sumac looking very ill after
only a couple of hours.

Use the correct product for the job at hand.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

I tried and tried and got no where with regular Roundup.
I applied it directly on the leaves which showed some distress but the
plant kept on growing.

So, I just checked Home Depot and found Roundup for Poison Ivy.
and Ortho for Poison Ivy. I bought the Ortho brand.
It's a little early to be sure, but I think it's working.

So, I can report regular Roundup doesn't work.
I expect something Poison Ivy specific has a better chance.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

I tried and tried and got no where with regular Roundup.
I applied it directly on the leaves which showed some distress but the
plant kept on growing.

So, I just checked Home Depot and found Roundup for Poison Ivy.
and Ortho for Poison Ivy. I bought the Ortho brand.
It's a little early to be sure, but I think it's working.

So, I can report regular Roundup doesn't work.
I expect something Poison Ivy specific has a better chance.

a combination of glyphosate and triclopyr is marketed for poison ivy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Jul 2015, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

I had rampant poison ivy in my yard when I bought the house. I
physically pulled most of it out and treated the rest with a brush
killer (it might have been a Roundup brand product.) I seem to recall
trying regular Roundup but it wasn't very effective. The brush killer
worked very quickly, like within a day.

P.S. - I haven't seen any more poison ivy back there for many years.
However, I saw a couple of sprigs poking up this summer. I killed them,
but it reminds me that the stuff may never totally go away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 10:05:04 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?
--
Pete Cresswell

Why would you want to kill that hot female super villain who vexes Batman? o_O

[8~{} Uncle Poison Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/28/2015 10:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Most retail versions of Roundup are too dilute to effectively control
brushy and woody plants. You need a minimum 41% concentrate of Roundup
to handle them, and that gets expensive. Another highly effective
herbicide for woody plants including poison ivy is triclopyr. Read
your labels and buy the strongest concentration you can find.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/28/2015 10:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If you got a 2% solution on the leaves and it was/is actively growing,
glyphosate should work but by itself it isn't as effective as some other
combinatorics...

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2307.html

The guy talking about using concentrate is mostly wrong, btw...the
concentrates are all intended to be diluted before use; the only part he
got right is "read the label".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been using regular Roundup on poison ivy for years. In my yard and surrounding area (I like to keep a buffer zone) it works fine.

I mix mine from an old bottle of concentrate that's been in the shed since I got the house. I don't make it super strong, just the normal mix.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 12:38:55 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 07/28/2015 10:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If you got a 2% solution on the leaves and it was/is actively growing,
glyphosate should work but by itself it isn't as effective as some other
combinatorics...

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2307.html

The guy talking about using concentrate is mostly wrong, btw...the
concentrates are all intended to be diluted before use; the only part he
got right is "read the label".

--

I don't know about 2%, I typically mix it at about 4% and it kills
poison ivy. Since Pete is having a problem, I'd mix it at 4%+.

If you're using the stuff, you can get the ~48% concentrate for about
$65 for a 2.5 gallon jug. That's orders of magnitude better than
buying it pre-mixed or even the concentrate at HD, etc. That's for
the generic glyphosate with a sticking additive included.

There are also brush killers that are more effective against that
type of stuff too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

I have used regular Roundup and some generic roundup with an added chemical
or two that work well. I think the wetting or sticking additive is
important to the poison ivy. Without it the chemicals tend to run off the
leaves. The chemicals are absorbed by the leaves mainly so spray them and
not the ground around the plants.

YOu need to look at the concentration on the jug. Many of them are made to
be deluted and often the lesser concentrations will cost more to make a
given ammount of than the higher concentrations.

Posted to alt.home.repair

years ago i had a bad poision ivy problem, poision ivy killer just made it wilt for a few days, same with roundup, just wilted then it came back stronger than ever.

so at the suggestion of someonehere i mixed roundup 50 / 50withpoision ivy killer.

i amost felt bad for the poision ivy, they just rolled up and died, i felt like a mass murderer...

do note mixing breaks some federal law, but going to my doc for pision ivy is worse.

the chemicals are absorbed thru the leafs.

so dont trim or pull the plants just spray the leafs for max kill.

and DONT BURN THE DEAD BRUSH! you can get poision ivy in your lungs..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2015 08:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

My country friends use Crossbow for poison oak here in Western Oregon, I
would imagine it would also work for poison ivy. Looking at the label
it appears to be a mix of triclopyr and 2,4-D.

http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/usag/pr...cides/crossbow

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Roundup alone is not terribly effective on poison ivy because of the
oiliness of the leaves. You need a good surfactant mixed with the
roundup. Some people use a bit of dish soap in the mix - some a few
tablespoons of diesel fuel. I know the diesel fuel works. Generally
knocks it back pretty good in about 3 or 4 days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If so, what timeframe?

Roundup alone is not terribly effective on poison ivy because of the
oiliness of the leaves. You need a good surfactant mixed with the
roundup. Some people use a bit of dish soap in the mix - some a few
tablespoons of diesel fuel. I know the diesel fuel works. Generally
knocks it back pretty good in about 3 or 4 days.

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective

Posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Must be GMO ivy.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/2015 01:37 AM, gregz wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Must be GMO ivy.

Greg

Yup, glyphosphate resistant weeds, more proof that organisms improve themselves over time.

Evolutionism 1
Creationism 0

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective

I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:21:29 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective

I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system.. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.

trust me 50/50 roundup/ poision ivy killer really works when nothing else did

I even called a lanscaper who said the killing stuff consumers can buy doesnt work. but the pros can use this.

he wanted to kill everything on that hillside, which would of been ok, except my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like keeping those around...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 9:02:48 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Wednesday, July 29, 2015 at 8:21:29 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective

I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.

trust me 50/50 roundup/ poision ivy killer really works when nothing else did

I even called a lanscaper who said the killing stuff consumers can buy doesnt work. but the pros can use this.

he wanted to kill everything on that hillside, which would of been ok, except my mom planted some of it a couple years before she died, so i like keeping those around...

the leaves were rolling up the next morning and within a few days the plants were totally dead.

i left the remains because i react a lot to poision ivy, and need steroids which make me very ill.

no poision ivy grew back, although i did notice one plant i missed, i murdered it too

just try it IT WORKS!
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?
--
Pete Cresswell

Oh for Pete's Sake!
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds

On Wed, 29 Jul 2015 06:28:10 -0700, "Edmund J. Burke"
wrote:

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
.. .

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.sheds

"Caecilius" wrote in message
I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.

You can't use that in the America's, you fusking asshole!

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

mix 50 / 50 round up with poision ivy killer. that works fast and is 100% effective.

Same here. I use 50 / 50 glyophosphate with brush killer (usually 2,4D). Mix
both to the highest concentration listed on the label. It still takes a week
before the leaves start to curl and up to a month befor they go brown.
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.messianic,uk.legal,uk.misc,uk.rec.driving

"Old Codger" wrote in message ...

On 29/07/2015 18:46, Edmund J. Burke wrote:
"Caecilius" wrote in message
I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.

You can't use that in the America's, you fusking asshole!

So why ask the question in a UK newsgroup?

Go fusk yerself, arsehole limey!

I outrank yer silly, buck-toothed arse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/30/15 9:01 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
bob haller wrote:

mix 50 / 50 round up with poision ivy killer. that works fast and is 100% effective.

Same here. I use 50 / 50 glyophosphate with brush killer (usually 2,4D). Mix
both to the highest concentration listed on the label. It still takes a week
before the leaves start to curl and up to a month befor they go brown.

The Enlist system mixes 2,4-D and glyphosate. That's for fields where
weeds could be resistant to either because both had been used extensively.

For poison ivy, I don't see the advantage of mixing. If after a week, I
don't see results, I assume it didn't absorb enough. I spray again.

That didn't seem to work with some Spectracide 2,4-D stuff I got for
buckhorn plantain. Seeing no results after a week, I'd spray again.
There seemed to be fewer after I sprayed, but I didn't know why I never
saw any shriveling or dead plants.

After a couple of years, I quit spraying and began cutting roots with a
sort of forked bayonet. I had to bend over thousands of times, but it's
fun when you get used to it, and it worked.

I haven't seen poison ivy resist repeated spraying.
Posted to uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.rec.cycling

"Caecilius" wrote in message
I've found that glyphosate does kill ivy, but it takes longer and
often needs a few applications. I suspect this is partly due to the
waxy leaves, so maybe a bit of a seeing to with a strimmer first might
help.

I bought a 5 litre container of clinic ace 360 g/l which lasts for
ages at the correct dilution. Much cheaper than roundup and just as
effective.

You can't use that in the America's, you fusking asshole!

So why ask the question in a UK newsgroup?

Go fusk yerself, arsehole limey!

I outrank yer silly, buck-toothed arse.

If you had a dick, you'd outwank EVERYONE, Coloon! LOLOK
Posted to alt.home.repair

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 11:50:42 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

You sure have some weird **** down there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 15:02:06 -0800 (PST), trader_4

wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

You sure have some weird **** down there.

This is the sub tropics and our worst weeds are from the tropics. With
a 12 month growing season things can get out of control very fast.
Most of those little plants you see in a dish garden will just go nuts
here if they get loose. The worst part is, like most exotics, someone
brought them here as ornamental plants. The animals are usually
escaped/released pets. (Pythons, Lion fish, Iguanas, Tegu)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

Even roundup works a lot better on poison ivy if you add a bit of
diesel as a surfactant
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

Even roundup works a lot better on poison ivy if you add a bit of
diesel as a surfactant

Roundup is still just a defoliant more than a systemic herbicide. That
is why you can spray it on your dormant zoysia grass in the winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://www..bestroachkiller.com/ort...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

Even roundup works a lot better on poison ivy if you add a bit of
diesel as a surfactant

Roundup is still just a defoliant more than a systemic herbicide. That
is why you can spray it on your dormant zoysia grass in the winter.

A problem in discussing this is people just say Roundup without specifying what concentration. I mix it, generic, at 2% to kill common broadleaf weeds.. If I have poison ivy, which is not frequently, I mix it 5%. And it has a surfactant. It works. But if you have a lot of it, then a brush killer product is more effective and surer. It's also temp dependent. When it's hot, Roundup works extremely well and fast. If it's 45f, not as effective and takes much longer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Both are good brush killer and effect for your front yard. if you are interested to know more about the different check out the he
https://www.bestroachkiller.com/orth...er-vs-roundup/

Weeds like poison ivy laugh at roundup. It may knock the leaves off
but it will be back. You are far better off with a Triclopyr based
product, preferably mixed with a "sticker".
Diesel works great. You don't need a lot. A little spritz will kill
weeds like PI dead. It is what we use on Brazilian peppers, air potato
and Ear leaf Acacia.

Diesel? Fuel?

Yup. It was the original recommended surfactant for Garlon 4. This is
not something you are squirting out of an airplane. You just need to
get some leaves with a few drops each and the plant will go belly up
in a week or two and never come back. I typically treat an acre and a
half with a 16 oz Zep bottle and have plenty left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good to know. I've been using industrial Roundup which works well but
they always return awhile later. I end up just pulling the roots. I'll
do the diesel this summer.

Thanks

Roundup [email protected] UK diy 62 July 19th 13 12:05 PM
Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 07:58 AM
How to kill poison ivy Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 34 August 10th 07 05:11 AM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 03:03 AM
Roundup Deemed Dangerous/ Poison Ivy Revisited Bertie Brink Home Repair 48 July 31st 06 07:05 PM