Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to kill poison ivy

Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 20:26:50 +0000 (UTC), (Dick
Adams) wrote:

Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

you could try a product called vine-x.
www.vine-x.com

Or anything with Triclopyr in it.

-dickm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

Round-up works well on poison ivy. The thing it, you probably need to apply
it 2 or 3 times during one growing season and possibly again at the
beginning of the next growing season. Poison Ivy is a pretty tough plant,
and if even a small root is left barely clinging to life, the plant will
re-sprout.

KB

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Dick Adams wrote:
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

http://www.nfpa.org/categoryList.asp?categoryID=161&
URL=Codes%20and%20Standards/Code%20development%20process

Crossbow is another one -- it's a mixture of 2,4-D and triclopyr that
may be more effective than just Roundup alone.

As another poster (and the above link) notes, poison ivy is tough
stuff--even a trace of root alive will regenerate over a summer plus you
may have seed from previous years germinating as well...it's a
multi-year project if there's any established colony at all in all
likelihood...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote

Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

In my experience, killing poison ivy is an ongoing chore. Two three
times a year make the rounds and kill it when you find it. I use
Round Up. As everyone else said, it's tough stuff and the roots
are tenatious, besides that, birds eat the berries and spread it
around that way. There is no, okay, it's gone forever.

I'm overly sensitive to poison ivy, so killing the stuff is no joke to
me.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 6:11 pm, "tom" wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

gasoline

I've had good results with Roundup. You need to apply it strong, like
6%, not the strength used for common weeds. And you may need to
apply it more than once if new growth emerges. There are also a
variety of brush killer products available that are targeted at tough
to kill brush and weeds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Brush be gone worked fine for me, but that was years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

be aware if you burn it,the smoke can make you break out just as well as
touching it.Had a cousin who had to stay in the hospital because he breathed
the smoke from burning poison ivy.We almost lost him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony" wrote in message
diesel fuel

God no, please tell me you don't burn poison ivy plants.

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you burn it quietly, if not aloud?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tony" wrote in message
: Hell no I don't burn anything even if I want not aloud in my
area
: Tony
:
: diesel fuel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Google CALCIDE SOIL STERILIZER

Posted to alt.home.repair

If I thought diesel fuel or gasoline would work, I'd try it.
That's how desparate I am. Someone in another thread suggested
using Borax as a herbicide. Any comments will be appreciated.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote:

If I thought diesel fuel or gasoline would work, I'd try it.
That's how desparate I am. Someone in another thread suggested
using Borax as a herbicide. Any comments will be appreciated.

An old railroad guy I know said they were fond of used motor oil for the
purpose, but you know how those old railroad guys are.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 5, 4:26 pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
Last summer and again this spring, I sprayed
Round Up on a bed of poison ivy. The stuff
came back. What should I try next?

Dick

I have had good luck with an Ortho product "Weed-be-Gone" It works
pretty well and is selective that it doesn't kill everything. It takes
about a week and gradually the PI just withers a dies. It is an on
going battle though as others have described, the birds and plants
just keep reseeding. I would buy the concentrate and apply with a pump
sprayer.

Wayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Excellent. You are far more wise than I.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Tony" wrote in message
: I dry it packed in small packages and sell it in Bronx
: $20 package, I am sorry that you guys don't know that.
:
:
: "Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message
: ...
: Do you burn it quietly, if not aloud?
:
: --
:
: Christopher A. Young
: You can't shout down a troll.
: You have to starve them.
: .
:
: "Tony" wrote in message
: news:ZmMti.593$V53.508@trnddc08...
: : Hell no I don't burn anything even if I want not aloud in
my
: area
: : Tony
: :
: : diesel fuel
:
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

What I read (don't know if it's true). If you burn poison ivy,
the poison part turns to vapor, and floats away. Which isn't good
if a senstive person is down wind, and is in contact with the
poison vapor. Gives allergic reaction on skin, eyes, lungs,
mouth, nose, etc.

Wrap the plants in plastic bags and send to the landfill is the
advice I remember.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
: If I thought diesel fuel or gasoline would work, I'd try it.
: That's how desparate I am. Someone in another thread suggested
: using Borax as a herbicide. Any comments will be appreciated.
:
: Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 8, 7:46 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
What I read (don't know if it's true). If you burn poison ivy,
the poison part turns to vapor, and floats away. Which isn't good
if a senstive person is down wind, and is in contact with the
poison vapor. Gives allergic reaction on skin, eyes, lungs,
mouth, nose, etc.

Very true. Been there & got a bad case that way. BTW, do you know
that cashew (plant & nut) is a first cousin to poison ivy? If I eat
more than just a few, I get the same reaction as PI.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message newsrestwhich-the
plant fairly thoroughly.

That being said, Roundup does make a poison ivy formulation.

Please, do not pour diesel fuel, used motor oil, or the like into the
ground. The environmental impact is substantial.

What, you think he's going to douse the plants with 500 gallons? good
grief. I'd do the Roundup approach myself, but even 1 gallon of diesel
isn't going to harm the environment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Bob M." wrote:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message newsrestwhich-the
plant fairly thoroughly.

That being said, Roundup does make a poison ivy formulation.

Please, do not pour diesel fuel, used motor oil, or the like into the
ground. The environmental impact is substantial.

What, you think he's going to douse the plants with 500 gallons? good
grief. I'd do the Roundup approach myself, but even 1 gallon of diesel
isn't going to harm the environment.

Sorry, you are misinformed. Americans dump more oil in the ground every
year than was spilled by the Exxon Valdez. I used to be one of them,
until I learned the truth.

The environmental impact is staggering, and even a single quart *is*
going to harm the environment. Here's a quote, I'm sure you could google
others if you wish to look into the matter.

"one quart of oil can create a two-acre sized oil slick, and a gallon of
oil can contaminate a million gallons of fresh water."

http://environment.about.com/od/eart...a/motoroil.htm
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you care if the surrounding plants are killed off too? Roundup tends to
kill everything, while others can be more selective.

I would try Ortho Brush-B-Gone Poison Ivy Remover. Here's a pictu
http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-pri...px?prodNo=3098 and the
ad it comes from:
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...er-274241.aspx
I think I saw it at Home Depot, but I think any store that carries Scott
lawn products will carry it. I should mention I've never tried it, so I
don't know if it actually works.

Whatever you use, you may have to apply 2 or 3 applications to get it
completely gone. If the vine is really thick, you'll probably have to cut
it manually. Good luck with getting rid of it.

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
If I thought diesel fuel or gasoline would work, I'd try it.
That's how desparate I am. Someone in another thread suggested
using Borax as a herbicide. Any comments will be appreciated.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Kitep" wrote:

Do you care if the surrounding plants are killed off too? Roundup tends to
kill everything, while others can be more selective.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by this. It only kills what you spray it on.

I would try Ortho Brush-B-Gone Poison Ivy Remover. Here's a pictu
http://www.hardwarestore.com/pop-pri...px?prodNo=3098 and the
ad it comes from:
http://lawn-and-garden.hardwarestore...centrate/ortho
-brush-b-gon-poison-ivy-killer-274241.aspx

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
If I thought diesel fuel or gasoline would work, I'd try it.
That's how desparate I am. Someone in another thread suggested
using Borax as a herbicide. Any comments will be appreciated.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Kitep" wrote:

Do you care if the surrounding plants are killed off too? Roundup tends to
kill everything, while others can be more selective.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by this. It only kills what you spray it on.

Since he follows on w/ "others can be more selective", one presumes he
means the usual it is a non-selective herbicide, not a broadleaf only.
Of course if only matters if there were grassy plants among which the
ivy was growing that were worthy of trying to save...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Smitty Two wrote:
The environmental impact is staggering, and even a single quart *is*
going to harm the environment. Here's a quote, I'm sure you could google
others if you wish to look into the matter.

"one quart of oil can create a two-acre sized oil slick, and a gallon of
oil can contaminate a million gallons of fresh water."

If dumped directly into water, sure. A small amount (as in a qt or
less) on a local area of ground, not so much.

While we don't any longer, for years going back to the time first got
tractors and trucks on the farm in the early 1900s, there was a
particular place in the drive area near the machine shed used as the oil
change area. In 30 years, that area was quite well soaked. Sometime in
the 60s it became unfashionable to just dump used oil and used oil
collection places were then available so we quit. Now one cannot tell
that place from any of the rest surrounding it--the grass has completely
reclaimed it...

It will break down over time and long term impacts are minimal.

Again, that is except for water supplies which can become contaminated.

And no, I'm not advocating the use as herbicide nor the disposal simply
noting that long term effects are self-mitigating and for small spills
on soil not that severe of an impact.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"Kitep" wrote:

Do you care if the surrounding plants are killed off too? Roundup tends
to kill everything, while others can be more selective.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by this. It only kills what you spray it on.

Since he follows on w/ "others can be more selective", one presumes he
means the usual it is a non-selective herbicide, not a broadleaf only. Of
course if only matters if there were grassy plants among which the ivy was
growing that were worthy of trying to save...

Yeah, that's what I mean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Kitep" wrote:

Do you care if the surrounding plants are killed off too? Roundup tends
kill everything, while others can be more selective.

Huh? Not sure what you mean by this. It only kills what you spray it on.

It's called "overspray" and since Roundup will kill anything it comes in
contact with, any overspray on to something you want to keep will kill it,
if you don't wash it off within an hour or less. Other products kill just
weeds for example, not hurting the grass & trees nearby. Roundup doesn't
discriminate.

KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 02:03 AM
OT - NRA would argue, "Government policies don't kill people, hurricanes kill people." Cliff Metalworking 155 September 21st 05 05:10 PM
Poison Robatoy Woodworking 42 June 16th 05 12:15 AM
OT - poison ivy Harry Everhart Home Repair 50 April 10th 05 02:06 AM
Poison it! John Ings Metalworking 1 November 21st 03 08:38 PM