Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

On 7/30/15 9:01 AM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:
bob haller wrote:

mix 50 / 50 round up with poision ivy killer. that works fast and is 100% effective.

Same here. I use 50 / 50 glyophosphate with brush killer (usually 2,4D). Mix
both to the highest concentration listed on the label. It still takes a week
before the leaves start to curl and up to a month befor they go brown.

The Enlist system mixes 2,4-D and glyphosate. That's for fields where
weeds could be resistant to either because both had been used extensively.

For poison ivy, I don't see the advantage of mixing. If after a week, I
don't see results, I assume it didn't absorb enough. I spray again.

That didn't seem to work with some Spectracide 2,4-D stuff I got for
buckhorn plantain. Seeing no results after a week, I'd spray again.
There seemed to be fewer after I sprayed, but I didn't know why I never
saw any shriveling or dead plants.

After a couple of years, I quit spraying and began cutting roots with a
sort of forked bayonet. I had to bend over thousands of times, but it's
fun when you get used to it, and it worked.

I haven't seen poison ivy resist repeated spraying.