Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roundup

Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be?
I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost
most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller
market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

I bought that Weedol Rootkill squirty thing (3-litre container with spray
gun attached) from B&Q, I "liberally sprayed the leaves and stems" of all
the weeds I could see, no rain and 21 days later and they're still growing
wildly, albeit a couple of them have 2 or 3 dead leaves, the leaves that I
must have accidentally sprayed 3 or 4 times. I checked the receipt just to
make sure I hadn't bought Miracle-Gro by mistake.

"Kills weeds plus roots so they won't grow back" my arse. It killed a few
leaves on each plant, dunno what they are but they're those prickly bramble
******* things but they're even bigger than ever, sticking a middle finger
up at me and my arsenal, practically taunting me to give them another drink.

"Acts fast - results visible in just 2 days". Yes, 2 days later there were
new green shoots everywhere and a tenner ****ed down the drain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it
used to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially
weakened. It's lost most of its effectiveness.

Yup.

All Roundup is based on glyphosate.
Its Monsantos trade name for it.

However its sold in different strengths
120, 240, 360, 480 and 680 g active ingredient
per litre in response to various directives down the years.

Basically if you sprayed full strength agricultural
glyphosate in your own garden and the wind caught it you
could possibly kill off your neighbours garden as well.

At a guess thicker formulations will probably be
stronger as there's less scope for drift.

But the same would apply to any weedkiller.
Its not the possibility of the punters drinking
the stuff but what it could do to a neighbours
garden on a windy day or in the hands of morons.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to
be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's
lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the
weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Roundup is fine. Just pay attention to what you are buying and where you
buy it from. Also there's no need to buy Monsanto branded Roundup, just buy
glyphosate as a generic product as a concentrate at 360g/l. You should then
dilute this 1:40, ie 1 litre of glyphosate to 40 litres of water for use.

Try this lot:

http://www.chemigro.co.uk/Glyphosate

Their best buy appears to be 3x1 litre "Rustler" for 29.99.

Be aware, buying chemicals at farm strength is for grown ups. If you don't
know what you are doing stick to the diluted stuff sold at the DIY sheds.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well I can recall, I think it was almost a decade ago or more that selling
some things at full strength was stopped unless you were a farmer who
planted Roundup proof crops.

So one might say, we have actually seen the last roundup!

Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 14:08, michael adams wrote:

Yup.

All Roundup is based on glyphosate.
Its Monsantos trade name for it.

However its sold in different strengths
120, 240, 360, 480 and 680 g active ingredient
per litre in response to various directives down the years.

Basically if you sprayed full strength agricultural
glyphosate in your own garden and the wind caught it you
could possibly kill off your neighbours garden as well.

Yet it's perfectly acceptable for this to sh@t be sprayed onto
genetically modified crops to be fed to the ignorant masses that believe
because it's "legal" it's consumption won't harm you.
....... but that's another story.

Not tried it myself but I've seen quite a lot of rave reviews about
vinegar. Might be worth a try and report on the results (and significant
price difference)

http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/20...r-not-roundup/

Pete@

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk
Commercial Gym Equipment - Suppliers to RAF, MOD and many more..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 15 July 2013 15:26:49 UTC+2, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Not tried it myself but I've seen quite a lot of rave reviews about

vinegar. Might be worth a try and report on the results (and significant

price difference)

Hmmm. Reminds me. Bitch urine! That used to work pretty well back in the day. It's considerably more acidic (or is it alkali) than the urine from a male dog. Certainly makes a right mess of a lawn.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"michael adams" writes:

wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it
used to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially
weakened. It's lost most of its effectiveness.

Yup.

All Roundup is based on glyphosate.
Its Monsantos trade name for it.

However its sold in different strengths
120, 240, 360, 480 and 680 g active ingredient
per litre in response to various directives down the years.

Basically if you sprayed full strength agricultural
glyphosate in your own garden and the wind caught it you
could possibly kill off your neighbours garden as well.

Also, higher concentrations often don't work because they
kill the parts of the plant they land on before the plant
can absorb them down into the roots, which sounds like it's
what might have happened to the OP.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants
to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

Steve Firth wrote:

[snip]

"Sorry, there are no products in this category"

Bugger, they seem to have redesigned the site:

http://www.chemigro.co.uk/Profession...e/default.aspx

Be aware, buying chemicals at farm strength is for grown ups. If you don't
know what you are doing stick to the diluted stuff sold at the DIY sheds.

Mmmm. A farmer friend of mine gave me some stuff to kill cleavers without
harming anything else. Even being near the stuff made me feel dizzy so I gave it back.

As a matter of interest, and I don't want to buy any, what is the max
glypohsate strength available?

The highest concentration that I have seen is 45% or 450 g/l. That must be
close to the limit of solubility, google Found a mention of 54% being
available in the USA (Roundup 540).

I've not seen anything stronger than 360, in various places, and even
then in B&Q you had to ask for it. They had 9 litre bottles of the stuff
nicked at the Canterbury store, apparently by cannabis growers.

Ah, free enterprise, peace and love.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:
On 15/07/2013 14:08, michael adams wrote:

Yup.

All Roundup is based on glyphosate.
Its Monsantos trade name for it.

However its sold in different strengths
120, 240, 360, 480 and 680 g active ingredient
per litre in response to various directives down the years.

Basically if you sprayed full strength agricultural
glyphosate in your own garden and the wind caught it you
could possibly kill off your neighbours garden as well.

Yet it's perfectly acceptable for this to sh@t be sprayed onto
genetically modified crops to be fed to the ignorant masses

Well from your comment, you know a lot about being a member of the ignorant
masses.

Would you care to enlighten the group by explaining what the fate of
ingested glyphosate is in the human body?

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote:
And they say that the gene exchanging with wild plants won't happen of
course.

Gives a whole new meaning to "sowing wild oats" if you are thinking of
exchanging genetic material with them, Brian.

--
€¢DarWin|
_/ _/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

mark

I must say that roundup works for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"michael adams" writes:

wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it
used to be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially
weakened. It's lost most of its effectiveness.

Yup.

All Roundup is based on glyphosate.
Its Monsantos trade name for it.

However its sold in different strengths
120, 240, 360, 480 and 680 g active ingredient
per litre in response to various directives down the years.

Basically if you sprayed full strength agricultural
glyphosate in your own garden and the wind caught it you
could possibly kill off your neighbours garden as well.

Also, higher concentrations often don't work because they
kill the parts of the plant they land on before the plant
can absorb them down into the roots, which sounds like it's
what might have happened to the OP.

That might indeed be possible if he originally bought 2.5 litres
of 360, and forgot to dilute it this time around. Though he
doesn't actually mention any shrivelled foliage.

My guess it that he's using pre-diluted sprays, and didn't take
his magnifying glass with him so as to be able to check the
miniscule print on the labels of the various offerings,
prior to purchase.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 16:21, Steve Firth wrote:

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants
to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants
to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

From what I can see there's no evidence that anyone is attempting
to ban glyphosate, outright.

What they may be doing is limiting the opportunity for idiots to get hold of
highly concentrated glyphosate, in situations where they may be too stupid
to work out the correct dilution.

Maybe by increasing the minimum size, and thus cost per item, of higher
concentrations.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback laid this down on his screen :
On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be?
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

mark

I must say that roundup works for me.

It didn't work here. I diluted to the correct concentration for a
sprayer, sprayed two weeks ago and it made no difference. Just prior to
that, I used Weedol in a ready to use hand sprayer, which ran out part
way, hence the need to mix up the Roundup. The Weedol killed everything
it touched and the effect was noticeable within an hour.

Where can you buy white vinegar in 5litre containers?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 05:55:27 -0700, orion.osiris wrote:

Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to
be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's
lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the
weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Bought some 'generic' glyphosate and a big f*ck off back pack sprayer from
Screwfix to sort out the allotment.

One treatment killed off nearly everything apart from tiny bits of couch
grass which struggled back.

Gave it the second treatment a week or so back.

So correctly diluted and applied it does still work.

Unless, of course, you are growing genetically modified weeds bred to be
resistant to glyphosate.

Cheers

Dave R
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

"apparently you can get white vinegar from chinese supermarkets, very
cheaply - £1.99 for 5 litres, if there are any near you."

Thank you mumsnet.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum explained on 15/07/2013 :
On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Not near, about 8 miles away, so we'll pop in next time we are near.
Thanks..

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield brought next idea :
On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be?
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost
most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

mark

I must say that roundup works for me.

It didn't work here. I diluted to the correct concentration for a sprayer,
sprayed two weeks ago and it made no difference. Just prior to that, I used
Weedol in a ready to use hand sprayer, which ran out part way, hence the need
to mix up the Roundup. The Weedol killed everything it touched and the effect
was noticeable within an hour.

At least that was the situation a couple of hours ago, when I last
checked and then decided to use up what was left of the mix in a second
attempt. Got the spayer out and without doing any more, I noticed that
they are definately wilting now, so I just redid the ones still shwing
life and the new weeds.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to
be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's
lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the
weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Roundup is fine. Just pay attention to what you are buying and where you
buy it from. Also there's no need to buy Monsanto branded Roundup, just buy
glyphosate as a generic product as a concentrate at 360g/l. You should then
dilute this 1:40, ie 1 litre of glyphosate to 40 litres of water for use.

Indeed. I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity (I don't need litres of
the stuff) and is handily available on the highstreet.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:

Where can you buy white vinegar in 5litre containers?

"apparently you can get white vinegar from chinese supermarkets, very

cheaply - £1.99 for 5 litres, if there are any near you."

Thank you mumsnet.

What difference would white or brown vinegar make in this context?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be? I
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost most
of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller market,
'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Some weeds are a lot harder to kill than others.
Grass is easy, ground elder/japanese knotwed is hard.
So you need different concentrations, better to buy the concentrate & mix it
up to suit your weed.
Also less effective in drought conditions. Best to water your weeds first
if they are "toughies" in drought conditions.
Also essential to apply to point of run off. ie a light spray is no good
you need to cover the leaves completely with the fluid.
Hairy leave weeds also toughies.

The other way you can come unstuck is lots of little seedlings appear when
you kill the parent plant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Also, higher concentrations often don't work because they
kill the parts of the plant they land on before the plant
can absorb them down into the roots

So, would repeated (eg daily) application of a weaker solution work?

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that mike formulated :

On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:

Where can you buy white vinegar in 5litre containers?

"apparently you can get white vinegar from chinese supermarkets, very

cheaply - £1.99 for 5 litres, if there are any near you."

Thank you mumsnet.

What difference would white or brown vinegar make in this context?

No idea, but the site which suggests vinegar, says to use white.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:22:31 PM UTC+1, D.M.Chapman wrote:
In article ,

Steve Firth wrote:

wrote:

Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to

be? I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's

lost most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the

weedkiller market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Roundup is fine. Just pay attention to what you are buying and where you

buy it from. Also there's no need to buy Monsanto branded Roundup, just buy

glyphosate as a generic product as a concentrate at 360g/l. You should then

dilute this 1:40, ie 1 litre of glyphosate to 40 litres of water for use..

Indeed. I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I

could find it cheaper but that is small quantity (I don't need litres of

the stuff) and is handily available on the highstreet.

mmm

"
Wilko Super Concentrated Tough Weedkiller 250ml
£7.00
£2.80 per Litre "

er no that would be a whopping £28 per litre....

Last I bought was 5 litres for £35 IIRC, keeps well ;))

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 15, 2013 7:43:01 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Also, higher concentrations often don't work because they

kill the parts of the plant they land on before the plant

can absorb them down into the roots

So, would repeated (eg daily) application of a weaker solution work?

should be no need for more than 1 application for common plants/areas.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Also, higher concentrations often don't work because they
kill the parts of the plant they land on before the plant
can absorb them down into the roots

So, would repeated (eg daily) application of a weaker solution work?

No, it needs time to work, and the right conditions.
It's not an instant drop weedkiller (if that happens, it didn't work).

Generally, you need to apply it when the plants are growing fast,
so it gets carried around the whole plant before it kills it. It
should take at least a week before you see any signs, and could be
several weeks in more hardy plants. It won't work well in the dry
weather we have at the moment, as most plants won't be growing due
to lack of water.

There are some other use cases. There used to be lots of marestail
weed in my garden, coming up between paving stones and stone
chipping areas. Glyphosate doesn't work well on this because the
leaves (filaments) have a coating which doesn't let it through
very well, making it difficult to get enough into the plant. One
way is to walk over the plant after spraying which damages the
leaves and gets more in, but the damaged leaves may then die
anyway before distributing it (and you mustn't walk it over the
lawn!). Turns out the best way to apply to this plant is at the
end of the season shortly before it starts dying down naturally.
It retrieves some of the nutrients from the leaves back into the
deep root system to save for next year, and pulls back some of
the glyphosate too. It's still not much, but now it's trapped in
the root system all winter, and that does kill the roots. It took
a couple of years of this to knock it on the head, but I now
only have to deal with the occasional straggler which pops up
each year, and not a forest of it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 15:11, mark wrote:
wrote in message
Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to
be? I
reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost
most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller
market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

mark

I must say that roundup works for me.

It didn't work here. I diluted to the correct concentration for a
sprayer, sprayed two weeks ago and it made no difference. Just prior to
that, I used Weedol in a ready to use hand sprayer, which ran out part
way, hence the need to mix up the Roundup. The Weedol killed everything
it touched and the effect was noticeable within an hour.

Where can you buy white vinegar in 5litre containers?

Pickling vinegar I would guess.

Some bloke down the dump reckoned vinegar plus about 1 tbsp salt per pint
was very effective. I have not tried yet...

Reading this on the web? See:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/07/2013 21:08, Tim Watts wrote:
Some bloke down the dump reckoned vinegar plus about 1 tbsp salt per pint
was very effective. I have not tried yet...

If it works, the weeds will have had their chips.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 20:06:52 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

One way is to walk over the plant after spraying which damages the
leaves and gets more in, but the damaged leaves may then die
anyway before distributing it (and you mustn't walk it over the
lawn!).

Er, walk over it before you spray it?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:06:47 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote:

wrote in message

Has anyone else noticed this stuff is isn't a patch on what it used to be?
I reckon the formula's been got-at and substantially weakened. It's lost
most of its effectiveness. Is there a new frontrunner in the weedkiller
market, 'cos Roundup today is %&*(*($_! hopeless.

I bought that Weedol Rootkill squirty thing (3-litre container with spray
gun attached) from B&Q, ...

Well you're a mug aren't you. Buy the concentrate and dilute it
yourself. Much cheaper. I spray all sorts of weeds that way and the
stuff dies.

I looked at the concentrate but the instructions said mix only the amount
required for the job. I would use it as a spot weedkiller, so need a spray
bottle of it to hand.
There was no explanation and it seemed strange, especially as the
'ready-to-use' bottle contains rather more than I'd use in one go.

About 3 - 4 years ago I finished the last drop of Weedol that my brother
brought home from a farm about 30 years ago - that stuff really worked, so I
suppose it's been banned now.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013 19:06:59 +0100, polygonum wrote:

Where can you buy white vinegar in 5litre containers?

"apparently you can get white vinegar from chinese supermarkets, very
cheaply - £1.99 for 5 litres, if there are any near you."

It's probably the Chinese source that kills things, same as the pet food in
the USA.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 15/07/2013 16:21, Steve Firth wrote:

Well it must work because it's on the EU's hit list of chemicals to ban.
Google on: glyphosate EU ban

Oh great - the one weed killer that is effective and safe and someone wants
to ban it, based on no evidence whatsoever.

And the evidence you have that it's safe would be?

What is the evidence you have that it is harmful?

--
Burn Hollywood burn, burn down to the ground
Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:

I tend to buy this http://www.wilko.com/invt/0330897 - I'm sure I
could find it cheaper but that is small quantity

Someone needs to teech Wilco some maffs

£28/litre not £2.80/litre

Roundup strength Broadback[_3_] UK diy 28 June 8th 13 02:06 PM
Roundup Concentrate cj Home Repair 22 September 5th 12 05:41 PM
Roundup shelf life Frank J Warner Home Repair 9 November 28th 11 07:51 PM
To Roundup or not Roundup Kurt Ullman Home Repair 41 July 2nd 11 03:35 PM
Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 06:58 AM