Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

"trader_4" wrote in message
If you got a 2% solution on the leaves and it was/is actively growing,
glyphosate should work but by itself it isn't as effective as some other
combinatorics...

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2307.html

The guy talking about using concentrate is mostly wrong, btw...the
concentrates are all intended to be diluted before use; the only part he
got right is "read the label".

--

I don't know about 2%, I typically mix it at about 4% and it kills
poison ivy. Since Pete is having a problem, I'd mix it at 4%+.

If you're using the stuff, you can get the ~48% concentrate for about
$65 for a 2.5 gallon jug. That's orders of magnitude better than
buying it pre-mixed or even the concentrate at HD, etc. That's for
the generic glyphosate with a sticking additive included.

There are also brush killers that are more effective against that
type of stuff too.

I have used regular Roundup and some generic roundup with an added chemical
or two that work well. I think the wetting or sticking additive is
important to the poison ivy. Without it the chemicals tend to run off the
leaves. The chemicals are absorbed by the leaves mainly so spray them and
not the ground around the plants.

YOu need to look at the concentration on the jug. Many of them are made to
be deluted and often the lesser concentrations will cost more to make a
given ammount of than the higher concentrations.