Old July 28th 15, 07:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roundup: Should It Kill Poison Ivy?

I've been using regular Roundup on poison ivy for years. In my yard and surrounding area (I like to keep a buffer zone) it works fine.

I mix mine from an old bottle of concentrate that's been in the shed since I got the house. I don't make it super strong, just the normal mix.

Old July 28th 15, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 12:38:55 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 07/28/2015 10:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If you got a 2% solution on the leaves and it was/is actively growing,
glyphosate should work but by itself it isn't as effective as some other
combinatorics...

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2307.html

The guy talking about using concentrate is mostly wrong, btw...the
concentrates are all intended to be diluted before use; the only part he
got right is "read the label".

--

I don't know about 2%, I typically mix it at about 4% and it kills
poison ivy. Since Pete is having a problem, I'd mix it at 4%+.

If you're using the stuff, you can get the ~48% concentrate for about
$65 for a 2.5 gallon jug. That's orders of magnitude better than
buying it pre-mixed or even the concentrate at HD, etc. That's for
the generic glyphosate with a sticking additive included.

There are also brush killers that are more effective against that
type of stuff too.
Old July 28th 15, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"trader_4" wrote in message
[...]

I have used regular Roundup and some generic roundup with an added chemical
or two that work well. I think the wetting or sticking additive is
important to the poison ivy. Without it the chemicals tend to run off the
leaves. The chemicals are absorbed by the leaves mainly so spray them and
not the ground around the plants.

YOu need to look at the concentration on the jug. Many of them are made to
be deluted and often the lesser concentrations will cost more to make a
given ammount of than the higher concentrations.

Old July 28th 15, 09:05 PM posted to alt.home.repair

years ago i had a bad poision ivy problem, poision ivy killer just made it wilt for a few days, same with roundup, just wilted then it came back stronger than ever.

so at the suggestion of someonehere i mixed roundup 50 / 50withpoision ivy killer.

i amost felt bad for the poision ivy, they just rolled up and died, i felt like a mass murderer...

do note mixing breaks some federal law, but going to my doc for pision ivy is worse.

the chemicals are absorbed thru the leafs.

so dont trim or pull the plants just spray the leafs for max kill.

and DONT BURN THE DEAD BRUSH! you can get poision ivy in your lungs..
Old July 28th 15, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/28/2015 08:04 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

My country friends use Crossbow for poison oak here in Western Oregon, I
would imagine it would also work for poison ivy. Looking at the label
it appears to be a mix of triclopyr and 2,4-D.

http://www.dowagro.com/en-us/usag/pr...cides/crossbow

Jon

Old July 29th 15, 02:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 11:04:58 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Roundup alone is not terribly effective on poison ivy because of the
oiliness of the leaves. You need a good surfactant mixed with the
roundup. Some people use a bit of dish soap in the mix - some a few
tablespoons of diesel fuel. I know the diesel fuel works. Generally
knocks it back pretty good in about 3 or 4 days.
Old July 29th 15, 03:06 AM posted to alt.home.repair

If so, what timeframe?

Roundup alone is not terribly effective on poison ivy because of the
oiliness of the leaves. You need a good surfactant mixed with the
roundup. Some people use a bit of dish soap in the mix - some a few
tablespoons of diesel fuel. I know the diesel fuel works. Generally
knocks it back pretty good in about 3 or 4 days.

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective

Old July 29th 15, 08:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Must be GMO ivy.

Greg
Old July 29th 15, 10:15 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/29/2015 01:37 AM, gregz wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
It's been about five days since I first sprayed some poison ivy with
Roundup - with a touch up application yesterday.

I'm not seeing any signs of distress in the stuff.

OTOH, 3 days on crab grass and the stuff is clearly dead or on the way.

Bottom Line: Should Roundup be effective against poison ivy?

If so, what timeframe?

Must be GMO ivy.

Greg

Yup, glyphosphate resistant weeds, more proof that organisms improve themselves over time.

Evolutionism 1
Creationism 0

Old July 29th 15, 02:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 28, 2015 at 9:06:41 PM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:

roundup mixed 50 / 50 with poision ivy killer, it will be dying by the next morning, its amazingly effective

I haven't tried that mix, but, do you really want it dying by next morning? If it's really toxic it kills the leaves before it gets into the system. I want it absorbed by the leaves, and spread to kill the whole plant, and usually that takes a bit more time.

Roundup [email protected] UK diy 62 July 19th 13 12:05 PM
Roundup or What? Lawrence[_3_] UK diy 54 October 27th 10 07:58 AM
How to kill poison ivy Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 34 August 10th 07 05:11 AM
KILL ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE KILL EM ALL [email protected] Woodworking 1 July 10th 07 03:03 AM
Roundup Deemed Dangerous/ Poison Ivy Revisited Bertie Brink Home Repair 48 July 31st 06 07:05 PM