Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Which is better, foam rubber ear plugs or the things that look like headphones

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:18:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

wouldn't they not want metal in there with you? That nixes my earmuffs.
earplugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

Check the "Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) " for the dB rating.

I use both types. In the military we carried this type while firing
artillery - not foam but a rubber, _Triple Flange Plug_:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Military-Plugs-FOLIAGE-GREEN/dp/B008TVBG9G/ref=sr_1_2/183-7732052-6599223?ie=UTF8&qid=1413912154&sr=8-2&keywords=military+ear+plugs

https://tinyurl.com/p27jee9

On a gun firing range I use the ear headphone type or both
simultaneously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:29:48 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

Your idea of wearing both together was great and I'm ashamed that I
didn't't think of it. It may come in handy on other occasions.

wouldn't they not want metal in there with you?

You're right. I'm ashamed again. I must be taking stupid pills.

To give me the benefit of the doubt, maybe I was just thinking of the
ear parts, which don't have metal afaict&r, but the wire between the two
halves is nothing but metal. I guess removing the wire and taping them
to my head is too much trouble.

(They even have a questionnaire that asks if you ever used a grinder.
And when I said I had but couldn't remember ever getting anything in my
eye, they had me take an x-ray of my eyes to make sure there was no
metal in it. If you have metal in your eye, no MRI for you.)

My 9th grade metal shop teacher said his brother got a metal particle or
small sliver in the surface that worked its way into the middle and
floats around or lies on the bottom . If he was just trying to scare
us, it worked with me.

That nixes my earmuffs.
earplugs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

The headphones are usually beter, especially if you are not use to wearing
ear plugs. Where I worked in many areas we had to wear ear protection. Had
many kinds of plugs, but the muffs seemed to be beter at knocking down the
noise and much easier to put on correct.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:43:04 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

The headphones are usually beter, especially if you are not use to wearing
ear plugs. Where I worked in many areas we had to wear ear protection. Had
many kinds of plugs, but the muffs seemed to be beter at knocking down the
noise and much easier to put on correct.

Thaniks, Ralph and Oren. You've convinced me that there are times I'm
not in an MRI when I should reallly try the headphone type. They came
with the house, and coming from NY, I was alreaday used to the foam,
which they even sell in the NYC subway stations. (though the new trains
starting 35 years ago are much quieter.)

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The headphones are usually beter, especially if you are not use to wearing
ear plugs. Where I worked in many areas we had to wear ear protection. Had
many kinds of plugs, but the muffs seemed to be beter at knocking down the
noise and much easier to put on correct.

I find that the yellow foam ear plugs are more like a one time use.
They deform so to speak. The rubber military triple flange plugs are
multiple use and can be washed. The earphone types DO allow one to
hear a gun range officer's commands. You can wear both to reduce dB
noise levels...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

Thaniks, Ralph and Oren. You've convinced me that there are times I'm
not in an MRI when I should reallly try the headphone type. They came
with the house, and coming from NY, I was alreaday used to the foam,
which they even sell in the NYC subway stations. (though the new trains
starting 35 years ago are much quieter.)

The foam EAR brand is good, but they need to be changed often. There are
other brands that are made of harder plastic that last longer. You hve to
look at the DB reduction ratings to see which ones knock the noise down the
best. The higher the DB rating means less noise going to your ear, but they
must be put in your ear correctly. The foam type usually expand to the
ear,but the harder type sometimes come in differant sizes.

If this is just a one time thing and you have to bring your own, go with the
foam type ear plugs if the headphone type has metel in it and you can not
use them in the MRI machine.

I always wear the headphone types when mowing the yard and using other small
engine yard tools like the weedeater and chain saw.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

Try reading the label that gives the degree of noise attenuation of the
various products. In your case, given your record of stupid attention
seeking questions, I would just suggest that you stick your fingers in your
ears.

Moron.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Your idea of wearing both together was great and I'm ashamed that I
didn't't think of it. It may come in handy on other occasions.

wouldn't they not want metal in there with you?

You're right. I'm ashamed again. I must be taking stupid pills.

Lot to be said for giving complete information
and the big picture early in the thread.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/21/2014 1:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
The headphones are usually beter, especially if you are not use to wearing
ear plugs. Where I worked in many areas we had to wear ear protection. Had
many kinds of plugs, but the muffs seemed to be beter at knocking down the
noise and much easier to put on correct.

LEE! LEE!

That's what my sister screams when people do what
you just did.

"put on correctLY".

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

Look at the people who work in noisy environments all the
time (forestry, mines, airfields etc.) They wear "ear defenders"
that enclose the whole ear. Should we suppose this is just
a fashion statement?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:55:29 PM UTC-5, Don Phillipson wrote:

Look at the people who work in noisy environments all the

time (forestry, mines, airfields etc.) They wear "ear defenders"

that enclose the whole ear. Should we suppose this is just

a fashion statement?

MRI's are not compatible with metal...of any kind!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

[sni]

On a gun firing range I use the ear headphone type or both
simultaneously.

+1

When I do my annual firearms requal wrap around safety lenses and ears
are MANDATORY. They (LE agency range) allow the foam plugs IN ADDITION
to ear muffs, but not INSTEAD of.

I'm old enough to have been dumb enough to spend time at an indoor range
WITHOUT "ears" of any sort. Good news, bad news. Hearing loss in both
ears that is NOT correctable with hearing aids. That's the bad news.
Good news is I have a note from my physician that I can (and have) show
my wife attesting to the fact that I'm not "Really" ignoring her. "Know
what I mean, know what I mean? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge!" in the best
of Monty Python style.

Just look at the -dcb rating on the foam plugs and muffs and you'll
realize the value as well as the effectiveness of the two different
suppressors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:16:09 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

Thaniks, Ralph and Oren. You've convinced me that there are times I'm
not in an MRI when I should reallly try the headphone type. They came
with the house, and coming from NY, I was alreaday used to the foam,
which they even sell in the NYC subway stations. (though the new trains
starting 35 years ago are much quieter.)

The foam EAR brand is good, but they need to be changed often. There are

My experience is that I can use them many times, and they seam the same.
EAR brand are yellow.

other brands that are made of harder plastic that last longer. You hve to

I've seen other brands in different colors, green at least, and smaller
at the end or with a string connecting the two, but they seemed about
the same in effectiveness.

look at the DB reduction ratings to see which ones knock the noise down the
best. The higher the DB rating means less noise going to your ear, but they
must be put in your ear correctly. The foam type usually expand to the
ear

Yes, that means you can get them in far enough.

,but the harder type sometimes come in differant sizes.

If this is just a one time thing and you have to bring your own, go with the

They provide them, and they provide -- what do you call them -- eye
masks, blinders (cheap ones with elastic that doesn't last long, that
you get to keep) but I've been around -- not for exactly this but
other things -- and can easily imagine them running out the day that I'm
there. So they'd reschedule me but I'll have already taken the
lorezepam and I'll have to get another prescription and go to the store
again and maybe pay again (though this last time it was only 20 cents.)

foam type ear plugs if the headphone type has metel in it and you can not
use them in the MRI machine.

I always wear the headphone types when mowing the yard and using other small
engine yard tools like the weedeater and chain saw.

Maybe I should have done that. Now, with my very small yard,
everything is electric.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 17:43:59 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

Look at the people who work in noisy environments all the
time (forestry, mines, airfields etc.) They wear "ear defenders"
that enclose the whole ear. Should we suppose this is just
a fashion statement?

I think they invented that kind first, and I thought those who use them
stuck with what they knew. The same way I stuck with foam rubber.

Although, in peson, I don't go to mines or where trees are cut. Years
ago, I'm pretty sure I saw people guiding airplanes wearing the big
ones, but I might be thinking of what I saw in the movies. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

If it were me, I would not use any and just put up with the noise, and not fool around with medical procedures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

Never had an MRI but like others when I am at the shooting range use both.

Lots of folks are also given tranquilizers before getting the MRI.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

Never had an MRI but like others when I am at the shooting range use both.

Lots of folks are also given tranquilizers before getting the MRI.

I'm taking anti-anxiety medicine. Lorezepam, which is either the same
as or the generic form of Atavan. But I still need the ear plugs.
Some places have music and radio, but not this one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is an MRI that loud? I've had one but don't remember it being that bad.

I wear foam when using machinery and both together if shooting.

Be careful with ear muffs if you wear glasses. Not all kinds seal around the eyeglass bows, and sometimes you need to add a wedge.

I used the flange kind when I worked in a factory, but as an engineer I wasn't normally on top of a machine that long. One night I had to monitor a problem machine for a long time and very quickly discared the flange and went to the foam.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
Is an MRI that loud? I've had one

but don't remember it being that bad.

An MRI is pretty loud! It sounded to
me like some kind of pneumatic tool
contest. It was fun trying to identify
the particular tool being run at the
moment. Was that a jackhammer,
Impact wrench, Air drill, die grinder
drop hammer or what? Foam plugs
helped a lot.. ;)} pdk

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:20:35 -0700, TimR wrote:

Is an MRI that loud? I've had one but don't remember it being that bad.

I wear foam when using machinery and both together if shooting.

Be careful with ear muffs if you wear glasses. Not all kinds seal
around the eyeglass bows, and sometimes you need to add a wedge.

I used the flange kind when I worked in a factory, but as an engineer I
wasn't normally on top of a machine that long. One night I had to
monitor a problem machine for a long time and very quickly discared the
flange and went to the foam.

At very high levels of noise the sound transmits right through the bone
structures and you go deaf.

So the answer to the original [poorly stated question] which is better? is
NEITHER!

Reworded to at some range/type of noise, which is better? Now that's a
good question.

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

On 10/23/2014 7:20 AM, TimR wrote:
Is an MRI that loud? I've had one but don't remember it being that bad.

I wear foam when using machinery and both together if shooting.

Be careful with ear muffs if you wear glasses. Not all kinds seal around the eyeglass bows, and sometimes you need to add a wedge.

I used the flange kind when I worked in a factory, but as an engineer I wasn't normally on top of a machine that long. One night I had to monitor a problem machine for a long time and very quickly discared the flange and went to the foam.

I've used foam for many years with never a problem but I have a friend
that was told by his doctor that he damaged his eardrum with the foam
plugs. Apparently the plug(s) created an airtight seal in his ear and
when he pulled it\them out the vacuum damaged his ear drum. I wasn't
there and am only repeating what he told me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

Someone gave me these orange foam plugs. They seem to cut 12-15 dB, or cut
down the sound less than 1/2 . Ok for cutting the lawn, but hardly enough
to eliminate sounds. Open cell foam, so you don't screw up.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
micky wrote:
Someone gave me these orange foam plugs. They seem to cut 12-15 dB, or cut
down the sound less than 1/2 . Ok for cutting the lawn, but hardly enough
to eliminate sounds. Open cell foam, so you don't screw up.

If they cut the sound by 12 to 25 dB that is about 10 to 300 times. 3 dB
will cut the sound in half.
the dB is a log scale.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 05:20:35 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Is an MRI that loud? I've had one but don't remember it being that bad.

Maybe not, but I'm hoping to fall asleep. If it werent' for the
claustrophobia, I'm sure I could ignore the noise. the small space,
the noise, the instruction not to move combined are a problem.

Anyhow, I brought my own foam ear protectors and my own face mask, and
the face mask wasnt' as cheap as I remembered, (two elastic bands and
plenty srong) so I used than so they didn't have to waste theirs, but I
took the ear plugs becacuse people here said they ge old and hers were
new.

With the foam in place correctly, I had a hard time hearing what she was
saying. She had to come closer and face me. (I think everyone read lips
a little bit.)

I used only one thin pillow so my face as far as possible from the top,
and most importantly I avoided looking at the machine and I didn't take
the mask off even a bit aftrer i lay down, when there was nothing above
me. I felt the table move, but it seemed like only 6 inchesf. It must
have been a very quiet table.

So not knowing I was in the tunnel was a big help. It was also more
open than the other open one totally open to my left, from under by back
to at least 30" high. I think the ring was a lot shorter too. More
liek a real doughtnut than the tub toilet paper comes wrapped on.
Which means easier to get out. I've also lost 20 pounds so I'm more
agile and can lift myself more easily. (90 more pounds to go.)

She gave me a hand-held buzzer so I wouldn't have to screeam like last
time.

At about 40 minutes she wanted to know something, I forget and said it
was only going to take 20 more minutes. I think I really did fall
asleep for that part.

Strangely, though I didnt complain, the someone (the doctor?) chaned the
instructions on the piills from 90 minute in advance to 60. Then they
delatyed me further by saying the test would start late. I finally
found out how much late. 5 minutes. I said i need 60 minutes or the
pills to work, like the doctor wrote on the instructions. She said No
you don't. They work fasther than that. Who to believe.

I hope this is the last ime.

I wear foam when using machinery and both together if shooting.

Be careful with ear muffs if you wear glasses. Not all kinds seal around the eyeglass bows, and sometimes you need to add a wedge.

Uh - huh.

I used the flange kind when I worked in a factory, but as an engineer I wasn't normally on top of a machine that long. One night I had to monitor a problem machine for a long time and very quickly discared the flange and went to the foam.

The foam is comfortable and convenient. Sometimes at 65MPH with the
top down I use it because wind noise is bad. Below 60 the wind noise
isn't bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"gregz" wrote in message
micky wrote:
Someone gave me these orange foam plugs. They seem to cut 12-15 dB, or cut
down the sound less than 1/2 . Ok for cutting the lawn, but hardly enough
to eliminate sounds. Open cell foam, so you don't screw up.

If they cut the sound by 12 to 25 dB that is about 10 to 300 times. 3 dB
will cut the sound in half.
the dB is a log scale.

No. 3dB cuts sound less than 1/2 . DB is power.
It takes 10dB increase to make sound twice as loud, which actually converts
to about 3 times the intensity expressed in volts , because thats how the
ear responds. It's not all that simple, because of various levels and
frequency, thus the Fletcher monson curves.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

An airplane doesn't seem that loud inside, but when I started using ear plugs or earbuds air travel became FAR more comfortable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i used to try all sorts of ear plugs

now, i just use Cotton Balls, or half cotton balls,

and the head phone things, that shooters use,
if i need extra protection

marc