Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Which is better, foam rubber ear plugs or the things that look like headphones

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 15:16:09 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .

Thaniks, Ralph and Oren. You've convinced me that there are times I'm
not in an MRI when I should reallly try the headphone type. They came
with the house, and coming from NY, I was alreaday used to the foam,
which they even sell in the NYC subway stations. (though the new trains
starting 35 years ago are much quieter.)

The foam EAR brand is good, but they need to be changed often. There are

My experience is that I can use them many times, and they seam the same.
EAR brand are yellow.

other brands that are made of harder plastic that last longer. You hve to

I've seen other brands in different colors, green at least, and smaller
at the end or with a string connecting the two, but they seemed about
the same in effectiveness.

look at the DB reduction ratings to see which ones knock the noise down the
best. The higher the DB rating means less noise going to your ear, but they
must be put in your ear correctly. The foam type usually expand to the
ear

Yes, that means you can get them in far enough.

,but the harder type sometimes come in differant sizes.

If this is just a one time thing and you have to bring your own, go with the

They provide them, and they provide -- what do you call them -- eye
masks, blinders (cheap ones with elastic that doesn't last long, that
you get to keep) but I've been around -- not for exactly this but
other things -- and can easily imagine them running out the day that I'm
there. So they'd reschedule me but I'll have already taken the
lorezepam and I'll have to get another prescription and go to the store
again and maybe pay again (though this last time it was only 20 cents.)

foam type ear plugs if the headphone type has metel in it and you can not
use them in the MRI machine.

I always wear the headphone types when mowing the yard and using other small
engine yard tools like the weedeater and chain saw.

Maybe I should have done that. Now, with my very small yard,
everything is electric.