Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2009
Posts: 51
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.

  #2   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2007
Posts: 12,675
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.


Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--

  #3   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,077
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.


If you find a good commercial plumbing supply house near you that will sell to
the public, they will likely have what you want. It probably won't be super
cheap, but it will fit properly and last.

If you've seen a place with a big yard outside of 20 foot lengths of all kinds
of pipe, including big diameters, that might be the place.


  #4   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 05:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,404
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On Sep 11, 10:52*am, dpb wrote:
On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.


Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--


Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.
Just not worth it. Buy the 1" ones.
  #5   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 05:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,488
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

millinghill wrote the following:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.



I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out
or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all the
cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct tape is
still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone through hot
summers and cold winters without deteriorating.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @


  #7   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 05:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,077
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

willshak wrote:
millinghill wrote the following:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for
1/2" diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I
want to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I
split two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But
what do I seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and
unstick after a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.



I use the 3M clear duct tape. It lasts much longer and doesn't dry out
or delaminate like the grey stuff. I have had the foam covering all
the cold water lines in my basement for years, and the clear duct
tape is still holding. I've even used it outside and it's gone
through hot summers and cold winters without deteriorating.


Thanks. That might help with a couple trouble spots I have on bends.


  #8   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2007
Posts: 998
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On Sep 11, 10:44*am, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.


Tie wraps.
  #9   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Aug 2010
Posts: 564
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:02:51 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 11, 10:52*am, dpb wrote:
On 9/11/2011 9:44 AM, millinghill wrote:

Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. *The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". *I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. *If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. *But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? *Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. *Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.


Spray foam (automotive) adhesive

--


Given the cost of similar insulation at HD, I would not
go through the trouble of trying to join two split pieces.
Just not worth it. Buy the 1" ones.


I was thinking the same thing. Lots of work for little money, and by
the time all the glue/tape is purchased, why bother. Give or sell the
1/2 inch stuff to someone else and buy what you need.

In a normal house, the cold water pipes are 3/4 inch (Inside Dia).
You didn't say if you have copper, plastic or galv steel pipe, but be
sure to get the right size. You could have actual 1 inch ID pipe, but
my bet is it's 3/4 inch.

  #10   Report Post  
Old September 11th 11, 06:23 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,680
Default Pipe insulation made of black foam rubber

On 09/11/2011 10:44 AM, millinghill wrote:
Hi.
I've lots of that black foam rubber pipe insulation, but it's for 1/2"
diameter. The (cold water) pipes I need to insulate are 1". I want
to insulate them to prevent consdensation in my basement. If I split
two of them down the middle, it will cover the 1" pipe. But what do I
seal/glue/tape it with? Duct tape will just get old and unstick after
a few months/years. Any ideas?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Theodore.


I've used electrical tape in the past, works well. You don't have to
wrap the insulation completely, just make a spiral around it or for long
perfectly straight runs just a ring around it every couple feet. In
fact, I was going to do same thing you're doing this afternoon, but for
different reasons (energy savings, and in the interest of bringing as
much hot water as possible to the shower - both I and roommate subscribe
to the "set the shower to 'third degree burn' and then dial it back two
notches" method of setting water temperature...)

I did some insulating in my parents' basement w/ that split pipe
insulation stuff and 3M electrical tape maybe 20 years ago for reasons
of condensation (incoming water pipe from a very deep well) and as far
as I know it's still in place. I got all fancy with mitering the
corners and such to make it look nice

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How does the foam rubber pipe insulation do its job? MM UK diy 13 December 27th 10 08:58 PM
bond foam rubber Karl Townsend Metalworking 20 August 29th 08 02:18 PM
expanding foam as CH pipe insulation? peter UK diy 16 October 1st 06 11:34 PM
Drilling hole in foam rubber? Martin Home Repair 21 March 3rd 06 04:16 AM
Glue for foam pipe insulation jeffc Home Repair 12 April 28th 05 10:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017