jeffc

Default Glue for foam pipe insulation

You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

Harry Everhart

"jeffc" wrote:
You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

I know this does not answer your question - but it is related. Lowes
makes that foam insulation with glue on it - you peel off a protective
coating and stick the edges together.

Harry
jeffc

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message

I know this does not answer your question - but it is related. Lowes
makes that foam insulation with glue on it - you peel off a protective
coating and stick the edges together.

Actually I'll be using it for a different purpose. I'm cutting it and I'll
need to glue it where there wouldn't be any pre-coated edges. Thanks
though.

m Ransley

Foam insulation is sold pre glued you just peel of a plastic sealing
strip. Or contact cement for plastic.

borgunit

I do not know of any but most people use either duct tape or the
selfholding wireties to bind the insulation together.

"jeffc" wrote in message
.com...

"Harry Everhart" wrote in message

I know this does not answer your question - but it is related. Lowes
makes that foam insulation with glue on it - you peel off a protective
coating and stick the edges together.

Actually I'll be using it for a different purpose. I'm cutting it and

I'll
need to glue it where there wouldn't be any pre-coated edges. Thanks
though.

Umm...what are you doing?

When we have to join two sections, we use either duct tape, or several wraps
of electrical tape.

AlanBown

"jeffc" wrote in message
. com...
You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate

copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a

"welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

There is but I do not know what it is nor where to buy it. The pro
insulators at work used something that looked like rubber cement. Looked a
lot like a rubber cement applicator can with brush not dabber. They would
apply to both sides and push together for 10-20 seconds and it was bonded.
The result was nice tight professional seams.

Probably time to loose the Box Stores and seek the pros in your area.

Robert Allison

jeffc wrote:
You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

Contact cement.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
DJ

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:49:30 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

Use "3M Super 77" adhesive, it's a contact cement designed for foam.
Spray both surfaces, let it tack up a bit, join surfaces. If done
correctly the glue joint will be as strong or stronger than the foam.

DJ
Gideon

Jeff,

There are several products that bond soft foam very well. As another
poster has already mentioned, 3M makes one such product. You can
probably locate the 3M product ("Super 77") at any hardware store.

You can also check with art supply stores and craft stores, who have
a large market for such products. They will probably have several different
foam bonders to pick from and they will probably sell at least one product
in a size smaller than the "Super 77", in case you just need a small amount.

Good luck,
Gideon

============================

jeffc wrote in message ...
You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

Goedjn

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:49:30 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

You know that gray foam rubber/styrofoam stuff they sell to insulate copper
pipes? Does anyone know a good glue that would work to seal this stuff to
itself? Something that sort of "melts" the foam slightly to form a "welded"
bond would be best. (I think that's the sort of thing that happened with
plastic models and model glue I used as a kid.)

Rubber cement? What's the application? The stuff stays
on pipes well enough by itself, and if it didn't, duct-tape
would be a simpler solution than glue.

Stormin Mormon

Electrical tape works well. Spiral it along the pipe.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"borgunit" wrote in message
news:846c2$426cf865$455da0d2$1436@allthenewsgroups .com...
I do not know of any but most people use either duct tape or the
selfholding wireties to bind the insulation together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jeffc, Link. wrote:
glue foam pipe insulation after roughening/chaffing/grate edges with
aggressive wood file and using gorilla glue. Duck tape edges together to hold
until it sets. be advised that gorilla glue will "foam"/expand and remember
to "dampen edges to activate glue.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-647569-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jeffc, Cindy wrote:

http://www.armacell.com/www/armacell...e?OpenDocument
Im looking for the same thing, but I dont want to set and wait forever for
each section to dry, like the corners and any add in pcs that are fatter. And
I just had an epiphany... Yip thats right .. An epiphany - double sided tape.
So much neater in every respect, find the right cheap tape and theres a lot
out there with different adhesives, youd want a thin aggressive double sided
tape ... O, now I just have to try it. Where did I put that tape !! Good
Luck for us both. Your job is likely done.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...on-647569-.htm