Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Default Drilling hole in foam rubber?

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

Have you tried using a 1" hole saw in reverse? Should work fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of
type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

Foam does not drill easily. It can be cut using a smaller diameter end mill
in a drill press and moving the foam around it to make the hole.

You may want to try a brad point or forstner bit as it will cut the sides
better than a twist drill. You can also try sandwiching the rubber between
two pieces of wood and drill through the whole thing. That will work well
for thin materials, but I'm not sure about 1" thick.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SJF

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of
type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

I have carved holes in poly foam with a small wire brush on a Mototool to
make replacement pads for headphones. It's not a precise operation. Also,
there's a lot of electrostatically charged dust flying around so I did it
outdoors. Don't know how well it would work on rubber foam.

SJF

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Daly

On 25-Feb-2006, "Martin" wrote:

Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut.

Hot wire might work. Look it up on google. A high-pressure water
cutter is used for similar foams in fabricating plants.

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

You need to freeze it before drilling. With a
puck you probably need to freeze it with dry ice
(handle the puck with thick gloves when you drill it).
Posted to alt.home.repair
spudnuty

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

I haven't seen one of these practice pucks so I have no idea how stiff
the foam is but:
1. The first thing that comes to mind is one of those Greenlee chassis
punches. It was a die for cutting large holes in an aluminum chassis. I
see they're still sold:
http://www.radiodaze.com/tooltool.htm
Maybe your local TV/electronics shop has one you can borrow for 2
minutes. Brand new it might do the job.
2. I also think the above poster might be right about the reversed hole
saw. You might also be able to compress the puck between two sheets of
ply and hole saw through the sandwich.
3. Grind the teeth off an old 1" hold saw to make a cylindrical knife.
Use a drill press as a mini press to cut straight thru the foam. No
rotation or perhaps a back and forth stroke. Actually I remember doing
this with my drill press using some thin wall tubing on some HD polyu.
Richard

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

spudnuty wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

2. I also think the above poster might be right about the reversed hole
saw. You might also be able to compress the puck between two sheets of
ply and hole saw through the sandwich.

No need for the plywood. It's the same idea as reversing the saw blade
in a circular saw when cutting vinyl siding. It works fine. It's
simple.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 24 Feb 2006 23:25:17 -0800, "spudnuty" wrote:

George E. Cawthon wrote:
Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

I haven't seen one of these practice pucks so I have no idea how stiff
the foam is but:

Yes, if the OP wants good advice, he should give more details. There
are various densities that are or might be called high density. Most
of us have never seen a hockey puck up close, much less a kid's
practice hockey puck. As opposed to a kid's actual hockey puck.

I do know that parents try to avoid having their kids' teeth knocked
out, and most would want it as soft as could possibly work. Maybe
it's the foam version of a wiffle ball.

Describe it in terms we can understand.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Randy Day

Martin wrote:

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

Don't know for sure if this would work,
but:

Put a 1" hole saw bit on a drill press
or press punch and *push* it through
without drilling.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
spudnuty wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
Martin wrote:
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of
bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits
and step
bits just rip it up.

2. I also think the above poster might be right about the reversed hole
saw. You might also be able to compress the puck between two sheets of
ply and hole saw through the sandwich.

No need for the plywood. It's the same idea as reversing the saw blade
in a circular saw when cutting vinyl siding. It works fine. It's
simple.

I think that reversed hole saw might work if sufficiently lubricated say
with soapy water; this foam has an awful drag. Problem is I don't have that
kind of equipment here. But it did put me in mind of another hole cutter:
the cork borer that used to be used in laboratories; basically a simple die
cutter that was worked by hand. I could probably make one from sharpened
3/4" copper pipe which would give me an OD of about 7/8", close enough for
my purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Randy Day" wrote in message
Martin wrote:

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.

Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick

and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit

or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and

step
bits just rip it up.

BTDT, for foam for camera and equipment cases. Find a tin can or spray can
of the right diameter, or even a piece of pipe, and cut it off square.
Sharpen the edge, and use that as a knife to cut the foam. A lathe helps for
pipe, that is why thin tin cans are easier. Use a rod inside the can, and
roll it on a flat surface, to make it round again after you cut it.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Martin wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

Martin wrote:
[...]

You don't have a drill and a hole saw...

You don't need to lubricate foam rubber. The hole saw in reverse will
work, but feel free to make it as complicated of a process as you'd
like.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Maybe a dumb idea. Soak in water and freeze it, then drill with a spade bit
while the water is frozen.

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of
type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
newfysnapshot

"Jeff" wrote in message
Maybe a dumb idea. Soak in water and freeze it, then drill with a spade
bit while the water is frozen.

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of
type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

About the easiest thing to do is take a one inch pipe and sharpen one end .
Press the pipe through the puck or pound it through using a rubber mallet
and a piece of wood. You could even drill a hole into the wooden block to
hold the pipe steady. The sharpened edge of the pipe will glide through the
puck easily.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Martin wrote:

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber. Actually
I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1" thick and I
need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of type of bit or
other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The common bits and step
bits just rip it up.

This might work:
http://www.thecraftplace.com/store/m...Product_ID=253
Posted to alt.home.repair
barbarow

Probably your best bet would be a "cork Borer" which is a set of hollow
tubes with a handle at one end and the bottom of the thin wall tube is
sharpened. You press down and rotate the tube with the handle to cut out a
plug.
"Norminn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Martin wrote:

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's 1"
thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know of
type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

This might work:
http://www.thecraftplace.com/store/m...Product_ID=253

Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

Re the cork borer. That may be do the job. I remembered those from way
back and indicated earlier in this thread that a I would probably be
looking at a homemade version. Don't recall a 1" size in the sets I used.
Do you know of a source? I've since tried the reversed hole saw that was
suggested, but lubricated or not it tore up the foam. I need a smooth
inside wall. The sharp edge like on the borer might do it. It'll need a
gentle touch.

"barbarow" wrote in message
Probably your best bet would be a "cork Borer" which is a set of hollow
tubes with a handle at one end and the bottom of the thin wall tube is
sharpened. You press down and rotate the tube with the handle to cut out a
plug.
..
Martin wrote:

I'm trying to make a special gasket out high density foam rubber.
Actually I'm using a kid's 4oz practice hockey puck as the blank. It's
1" thick and I need to make a 1" hole in it's center. Does anyone know
of type of bit or other type of cutter that would make a clean cut. The
common bits and step bits just rip it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Martin wrote:
Martin wrote:

[...]

I've used the reversed hole saw on several different foams and I've
never had it rip the stuff up. Maybe I'm not clear on the foam, but
the higher the density the better the reversed hole saw will usually
cut. It's standard plastics cutting procedure.

barbarow wrote:
Probably your best bet would be a "cork Borer" which is a set of hollow
tubes with a handle at one end and the bottom of the thin wall tube is
sharpened. You press down and rotate the tube with the handle to cut out
plug.

Thank you! I wasn't familiar with the cork boring tools. I have one
of the cork borer sharpeners and I never knew what it was used for!
The cork borer is a simple idea and I'm sure it would work well in the
foam rubber, but I did a quick search and I didn't see any in a 1"
size. I think it'll have to be a homemade item.

The rubber foam I'm working with is a very tough closed cell structure, not
like styrofoam, the common urethanes, vinyls and such.

I sectioned one using a new box cutter blade, about the sharpest blade you
can find these days. It was almost impossible to move it through smoothly
without lubrication. A soap solution was used and I got the smooth surface
I need. But with the hole saw it didn't keep the teeth from grabbing
despite reversing the rotation. So I will try to sharpen some 3/4 copper
pipe as I mentioned unless I can find a 1" cork borer.

You can see the texture at
http://img9.imagevenue.com/img.php?l..._PICT0309A.JPG

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

I sectioned one using a new box cutter blade, about the sharpest blade you
can find these days. It was almost impossible to move it through smoothly
without lubrication. A soap solution was used and I got the smooth surface
I need. But with the hole saw it didn't keep the teeth from grabbing
despite reversing the rotation. So I will try to sharpen some 3/4 copper
pipe as I mentioned unless I can find a 1" cork borer.

Why not use 1" EMT, if what you're after is a 1" hole?
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to make, anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin

"Goedjn" wrote in message

I sectioned one using a new box cutter blade, about the sharpest blade you
can find these days. It was almost impossible to move it through smoothly
without lubrication. A soap solution was used and I got the smooth
surface
I need. But with the hole saw it didn't keep the teeth from grabbing
despite reversing the rotation. So I will try to sharpen some 3/4 copper
pipe as I mentioned unless I can find a 1" cork borer.

Why not use 1" EMT, if what you're after is a 1" hole?
Out of curiosity, what are you trying to make, anyway?

Used nominal 3/4" copper pipe to make the "corkborer" because it was closer
to the snug fit I needed.
You can see the final product at

http://img20.imagevenue.com/img.php?...CT0313AJPG.JPG

I'm making a device called an audio coupler, usually made from metal or hard
rubber. Want to see how the cellular version might work. The coupler is
used between a Sound Level Meter and the source of the sound and modifies
the sound so that the meter hears the sound as an ear might hear it. It's a
function of the geometry of the hole. That's really an oversimplified
description. There is a lot of audiometry literature on the subject, on the
"2cc Coupler", 2cc referring to the volume of the adult ear canal. Picture
of an earlier version being used to calibrate a headphone at

http://img105.imagevenue.com/img.php..._PICT0299A.JPG

Drilling a hole in plywood Kev UK diy 12 February 8th 06 05:48 PM
Using a hole saw in a magnetic drilling machine Christopher Tidy Metalworking 3 October 27th 05 02:26 PM
OT-DIY Rubber roofing Al A. Metalworking 18 August 25th 05 02:53 AM
Hole in my basement wall smyk Home Ownership 7 April 16th 05 04:50 AM
Drilling big hole in ceramic tile Jack Home Repair 3 June 23rd 04 08:45 PM