Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bond foam rubber

packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Contact cement. You may have to use the non (low)solvent variety on some
types of foam. Try a sample first.

Gorilla glue is too rigid.

Karl Townsend wrote:
packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:54:14 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

I bond soft foam rubber to ballistic nylon fabric with 3M Super 77
spray adhesive, which is also used to bond headliners and landau tops
on cars (though they have a higher-heat version, too.)

What's her steel and how is this used? Temp extremes involved?

More info, please, Karl!

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

Karl

Try 3M upholstery and headliner adhesive. You can get it at just about
any auto parts store.

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip
More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

snip
More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

And we know whay!

A LUMBERJACK!

(piano vamp)

Leaping from tree to tree! As they float down the mighty rivers of
British Columbia! With my best girl by my side!
The Larch!
The Pine!
The Giant Redwood tree!
The Sequoia!
The Little Whopping Rule Tree!
We'd sing! Sing! Sing!

Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay,
I sleep all night and I work all day.

CHORUS: He's a lumberjack, and he's okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

I cut down trees, I eat my lunch,
I go to the lava-try.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
He goes to the lava-try.
On Wednesdays 'e goes shoppin'
And has buttered scones for tea.

CHORUS

I cut down trees, I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing,
And hang around in bars.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he skips and jumps,
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around.... In bars???????

CHORUS

I chop down trees, I wear high heels,
Suspendies and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie
Just like my dear papa.

Mounties: He cuts down trees, he wears high heels
Suspendies?? and a .... a Bra????
(spoken, raggedly) What's this? Wants to be a *girlie*? Oh, My!
And I thought you were so rugged! Poofter!

CHORUS

All: He's a lumberjack, and he's okaaaaaaayyy..... (BONG)

Sound Cue: The Liberty Bell March, by John Phillip Sousa.
-or-

Dear Sir,
I wish to complain on the stronglyest possible terms about the previous
entry in this file about the lumberjack who wears womens' clothes. Some
of
my best friends are lumberjacks, and only a FEW of them are
transvestites.

Yours faithfully,
Brigadier Sir Charles Arthur Strong, Mrs.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:23:09 -0400, "Tom Gardner" wrote:
"Larry Jaques" wrote...

More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

He wants more information, not Too Much Information! Get it right!

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 03:20:00 GMT, Jim Chandler wrote:

Karl Townsend wrote:

packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

Karl

Try 3M upholstery and headliner adhesive. You can get it at just about
any auto parts store.

Also 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, AKA "Gorilla Snot". Available
in both black and natural yellow. A thick contact adhesive made to
bond foam rubber to painted or bare steel, and the glue bond usually
lasts longer than the foam.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, everybody.

We're off to town shortly. I get tortured (dentist) while better looks for
adhesives.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

He wants more information, not Too Much Information! Get it right!

Now, you guys did it. I suggested to Julie to read the posts for the
recommendations. She read this thread and asked "Is THAT what you do
online?"

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

He wants more information, not Too Much Information! Get it right!

Now, you guys did it. I suggested to Julie to read the posts for the
recommendations. She read this thread and asked "Is THAT what you do
online?"

Where else could we do it?

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

Karl

Try 3M upholstery and headliner adhesive. You can get it at just about
any auto parts store.

Also 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, AKA "Gorilla Snot". Available
in both black and natural yellow. A thick contact adhesive made to
bond foam rubber to painted or bare steel, and the glue bond usually
lasts longer than the foam.

-- Bruce --

while we're at it, i have some rubber-ish weatherstripping in my car sealing
the back hatch. at the corners, it's glued together rather than being a
single piece. replacement is in the $400 range so i'd like to try to glue it
back together. it's not torn anywhere.

any ideas what would work?

regards,
charlie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:01:44 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

while we're at it, i have some rubber-ish weatherstripping in my car sealing
the back hatch. at the corners, it's glued together rather than being a
single piece. replacement is in the $400 range so i'd like to try to glue it
back together. it's not torn anywhere.

any ideas what would work?

regards,
charlie

If the Auto Parts can find the generic bulk weatherstrip profile
that matches the car, you can order a full roll of the foam. The
corners, you clip a wedge out of the inside of the curve, apply a dab
of black Gorilla Snot, let dry, stick together.

http://www.auveco.com/ is one source.

You can also get the 'plastic barb fasteners every six inches' foam
in bulk too (Sixties GM products among others) but you might have to
stick it in the holes and make the miter splice in place. (The
"factory" has a jig to locate the molded corners.)

When you get back to where you started, you can either make a butt
splice or a 45-degree scarfed splice.

Dust the contact areas of glue line with a bit of talc or chalk so
it doesn't stick to the door frame till it's well and truly set.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

He wants more information, not Too Much Information! Get it right!

Now, you guys did it. I suggested to Julie to read the posts for the
recommendations. She read this thread and asked "Is THAT what you do
online?"

Karl

It's Larry's fault, he just brings out the worst in me! ...he brings out
the worst in EVERYBODY!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 00:23:09 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .

snip
More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

You glue foamy rubber underpants to your steely balls, do you, you
silly lezbo? TOO MUCH INFO!

(I asked for more info, not too much.)

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
--John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 06:33:56 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Karl Townsend" quickly quoth:

More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

He wants more information, not Too Much Information! Get it right!

Now, you guys did it. I suggested to Julie to read the posts for the
recommendations. She read this thread and asked "Is THAT what you do
online?"

Bwahahahaha! Now how do you 'splain the little lesbian Tawmboy and
still save face with her?

I'm sure glad my coffee wasn't out of the microwave yet when I read
that.

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
--John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:38:36 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
tanews.com...
More info, please

(I wear women's underwear!)

He wants more information, not Too Much Information! Get it right!

Now, you guys did it. I suggested to Julie to read the posts for the
recommendations. She read this thread and asked "Is THAT what you do
online?"

It's Larry's fault, he just brings out the worst in me! ...he brings out
the worst in EVERYBODY!

WELL! You beeeyatch!

--
Smokey the Bear's rules for fire safety should apply to government:
Keep it small, keep it in a confined area, and keep an eye on it.
--John Stossel in _Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity_
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That stuff is good for about a year, after which the bond fails.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:21:18 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I bond soft foam rubber to ballistic nylon fabric with 3M Super 77
spray adhesive, which is also used to bond headliners and landau tops
on cars (though they have a higher-heat version, too.)

What's her steel and how is this used? Temp extremes involved?

More info, please, Karl!

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Suggest Weldwood Contact Cement, in the pint cans at Home Despot.
Good stuff.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 20:54:14 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

packing line repair time...

My better half is trying to bond soft foam rubber to steel. She tried
gorilla glue today and it don't look good. What works best?

Karl

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:31:28 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, JR
North quickly quoth:

wrote:

I bond soft foam rubber to ballistic nylon fabric with 3M Super 77

--topposting corrected, ya lazy bastid--

That stuff is good for about a year, after which the bond fails.

Au contraire, mon capitan. I spray both sides, allow the stuff to
tack off, and then adhere, applying weight overnight for my glare
guards, since they're to be flexible. I haven't had a failure from
delamination since I started that, and I have decade-old sample glare
guards which are still hanging in there nicely. None shows any sign of
delamination. It's really good ****, Maynard.

If you've had failures, it's likely due to either a lack of consistent
adhesive thickness (light spray), improper application, or a bad foam.