Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Which is better, foam rubber ear plugs or the things that look like headphones

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 10:29:48 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:18:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

**LIke E*A*R Plugs, the yellow foam cylinders, or some other brand.

***Each side is as big as a medium tomato

I should have said that I need to use one of these while I get an MRI.
They clang and I don't like the MRI in the first place. This place
doesn't have music or radio via headphones.

Your idea of wearing both together was great and I'm ashamed that I
didn't't think of it. It may come in handy on other occasions.

wouldn't they not want metal in there with you?

You're right. I'm ashamed again. I must be taking stupid pills.

To give me the benefit of the doubt, maybe I was just thinking of the
ear parts, which don't have metal afaict&r, but the wire between the two
halves is nothing but metal. I guess removing the wire and taping them
to my head is too much trouble.

(They even have a questionnaire that asks if you ever used a grinder.
And when I said I had but couldn't remember ever getting anything in my
eye, they had me take an x-ray of my eyes to make sure there was no
metal in it. If you have metal in your eye, no MRI for you.)

My 9th grade metal shop teacher said his brother got a metal particle or
small sliver in the surface that worked its way into the middle and
floats around or lies on the bottom . If he was just trying to scare
us, it worked with me.

That nixes my earmuffs.
earplugs.