Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Which is better, foam rubber ear plugs or the things that looklike headphones

On 10/21/2014 12:35 PM, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 13:18:46 -0400, micky
wrote:

Which is better, that is, which keeps the sound level in one's head
lower: foam rubber ear plugs** or the things that look like full-size
headphones from the 60's***?

[sni]

On a gun firing range I use the ear headphone type or both
simultaneously.

+1

When I do my annual firearms requal wrap around safety lenses and ears
are MANDATORY. They (LE agency range) allow the foam plugs IN ADDITION
to ear muffs, but not INSTEAD of.

I'm old enough to have been dumb enough to spend time at an indoor range
WITHOUT "ears" of any sort. Good news, bad news. Hearing loss in both
ears that is NOT correctable with hearing aids. That's the bad news.
Good news is I have a note from my physician that I can (and have) show
my wife attesting to the fact that I'm not "Really" ignoring her. "Know
what I mean, know what I mean? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge!" in the best
of Monty Python style.

Just look at the -dcb rating on the foam plugs and muffs and you'll
realize the value as well as the effectiveness of the two different
suppressors.