Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Which is better, foam rubber ear plugs or the things that looklike headphones

On 10/23/2014 7:20 AM, TimR wrote:
Is an MRI that loud? I've had one but don't remember it being that bad.

I wear foam when using machinery and both together if shooting.

Be careful with ear muffs if you wear glasses. Not all kinds seal around the eyeglass bows, and sometimes you need to add a wedge.

I used the flange kind when I worked in a factory, but as an engineer I wasn't normally on top of a machine that long. One night I had to monitor a problem machine for a long time and very quickly discared the flange and went to the foam.

I've used foam for many years with never a problem but I have a friend
that was told by his doctor that he damaged his eardrum with the foam
plugs. Apparently the plug(s) created an airtight seal in his ear and
when he pulled it\them out the vacuum damaged his ear drum. I wasn't
there and am only repeating what he told me.