Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you ever ..shovel snow... ?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/4/2014 1:21 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My snow shovel worker showed up, so I paid him and
went out to help shovel and snow blow. It's been seven
minutes,adn my fintgers are still sore from cold.

You definitely need better gloves. I blew snow yesterday wearing some Home
Depot work gloves. I was OK when I was shoveling and moving my hands a lot,
but the unheated handles of the blower made my fingers d*mn cold.

Today I wore a good pair of ski gloves. My hands were sweating and it's in
the single digits here, wind chills around neg 15. Heated blower handles
would be nice, but good gloves work pretty well too.

Didn't help that one pair I had indoors was thin
cotton. The good gloves were about 5F as they were
out in the truck. I should have a good pair of
gloves, stored indoors.

You do know that your hands would have warmed the gloves, don't you? And
quickly, too. As long as they were dry, putting on the cold gloves would
gave been better than wearing the thin cotton ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 7:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Didn't help that one pair I had indoors was thin
cotton. The good gloves were about 5F as they were
out in the truck. I should have a good pair of
gloves, stored indoors.

You do know that your hands would have warmed the gloves, don't you? And
quickly, too. As long as they were dry, putting on the cold gloves would
gave been better than wearing the thin cotton ones.

Tried that, while I was running the truck to
warm it up a little. Didn't seem to do much
good. Maybe if I'd been slugging a snow blower
around.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 12:16:21 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Or wear the thin ones inside the cold ones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 5:56 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tried that, while I was running the truck to
warm it up a little. Didn't seem to do much
good. Maybe if I'd been slugging a snow blower
around.

What's a show blower?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 1:13 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Didn't help that one pair I had indoors was thin
cotton. The good gloves were about 5F as they were
out in the truck. I should have a good pair of
gloves, stored indoors.

Went to Cal's in Cedar City the other day. The supermarket for cowboys
and ranchers hereabouts. If you can stick it in or on a cow or chicken,
they got one.

They had a clearance rack, and I got a pair of $30 gloves for $6. The
ticket was $8.99, and I was happy with that, but they rang up at $6, so
I dummied up. Camo. High cuffs. And when you put them on, you can
feel the inside heat up. Might use them when we start logging, but they
are not waterproof. Gotta go get me a really good pair of waterproof
ones. A guy cannot have too many gloves. Or tools. Or guns. Or
fishing poles. SWMBO disagrees, but she has her hording categories, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 1:45 PM, SteveB wrote:
On 1/4/2014 5:56 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Tried that, while I was running the truck to
warm it up a little. Didn't seem to do much
good. Maybe if I'd been slugging a snow blower
around.

What's a show blower?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Steve

How we clear the lawn of chiggers.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 1:49 PM, SteveB wrote:

Went to Cal's in Cedar City the other day. The supermarket for cowboys
and ranchers hereabouts. If you can stick it in or on a cow or chicken,
they got one.

They had a clearance rack, and I got a pair of $30 gloves for $6. The
ticket was $8.99, and I was happy with that, but they rang up at $6, so
I dummied up.

A guy cannot have too many gloves. Or tools. Or guns. Or
fishing poles. SWMBO disagrees, but she has her hording categories, too.

Steve

What are gloves? What are guns? I'm in PRNY, you
realize.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Have you tried that Never Wet product? I haven't but I'm really thinking I
should.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSs...DDZr jXSsfxMQ
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you ever ............ ?

SteveB wrote:
On 1/2/2014 5:02 PM, willshak wrote:

Are you taking any medications before bedtime?

I take six on rising, and eight at bedtime. As directed by the
doctor.

Have you carefully reviewed the potential side effects of all of them.

Pretty scary!

A 91YO friend just went through a period of intense hallucinations caused by the
drugs his docs prescribed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
SteveB wrote:
On 1/2/2014 5:02 PM, willshak wrote:

Are you taking any medications before bedtime?

I take six on rising, and eight at bedtime. As directed by the
doctor.

Have you carefully reviewed the potential side effects of all of them.

Pretty scary!

A 91YO friend just went through a period of intense hallucinations caused by the
drugs his docs prescribed.

Hi,
Medicine consumption is ironic, Start with one and keep adding to
counter the side effects they produce to a point of killing the user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Jan 2014 15:29:31 -0800, "Bob F" wrote
in

SteveB wrote:
On 1/2/2014 5:02 PM, willshak wrote:

Are you taking any medications before bedtime?

I take six on rising, and eight at bedtime.

And proud of it.

Have you carefully reviewed the potential side effects of all of them.

Pretty scary!

A 91YO friend just went through a period of intense hallucinations caused by the
drugs his docs prescribed.

If I had a Dr like his, I would spend more time with my undertaker.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/4/2014 7:25 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
A 91YO friend just went through a period of intense hallucinations
caused by the
drugs his docs prescribed.

Hi,
Medicine consumption is ironic, Start with one and keep adding to
counter the side effects they produce to a point of killing the user.

I've heard that concept from more than one person.
After his heart attack and surgery, my Dad was on
several medications.

And here it is, 12:47 AM, and I'm awake, on the
computer.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
On 1/2/2014 5:02 PM, willshak wrote:

Are you taking any medications before bedtime?

I take six on rising, and eight at bedtime.

And proud of it.

Have you carefully reviewed the potential side effects of all of
them.

Pretty scary!

A 91YO friend just went through a period of intense hallucinations
caused by the drugs his docs prescribed.

If I had a Dr like his, I would spend more time with my undertaker.

If you know many people of that age, you probably would know how common that is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 01/03/2014 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

From the time I first had minor knee problems until the time I
needed to get them replaced was more than 20 years. I hope it's
only now that your problems are beginning.

The 10-15 years that I jogged is probably what did me in.

I've done very little jogging and that was 40 years ago. I've had
arthritis for at least five years and getting wore, but I think a
long way off to replacement. My doc suggested seeing the Ortho guy
for possible gel shots.

Prior to getting my knees replaced I tried all other alternatives.

The Synvisc shots helped a bit and I probably could have gotten by if
I was not still working. I was a service engineer and the equipment I
had to work on required me to kneel or to climb most of the time.

They were very expensive and though I had insurance, for me they were
not worth it. If your insurance covers it ...it could help.

In my situation I had one knee with about 60% cartilage loss and the
other with about 75% loss.

I also got Cortisone shots and they worked even better, but that was
only a temporary solution as there is a limit to how many one can
have.

For the most part, I was OK with just taking aspirin or Tylenol ...but
obviously I did not want to be on that for the rest of my life.

One other thing I did was to take a vegetable extract supplement
called Greek Island. I assumed it to be a scam but I was willing to
try anything...and it actually helped a lot and bought me one full
year.

Those glucosamine & chondroitin
capsules did absolutely nothing.

Did you try stem cell therapy? A friend of mine had very good results on her
seriously trashed knee meniscus. She's back to playing (senior)volleyball with
no pain.
http://www.regenexx.com/2010/09/dr-c...e-orthopedics/

Unfortunately, insurance doesn't usually cover this.
Peiople that haven't yet had replacement surgery might want to research this
possibility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Have you tried that Never Wet product? I haven't but I'm really
thinking I should.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZrjXSs...DDZr jXSsfxMQ

Go look at the reviews at home depot or elsewhere before you buy. It apparently
does not last long.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/3/2014 12:28 PM, willshak wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Last night, I went to bed with 6 inches of heavy,
bitter cold snow on the side porch. Not much more
over night (looking out the window at vehicle roof).
I can't remember what it is, but 21F sounds warm,
compared. It's some like nine degrees F, out there.

Does the cold make your aches and pains worse? Does
me, but mostly due to shoveling snow.

Why is your bed on the side porch, especially when there is 6" of
snow out there?

If I went to bed with a loose morals woman,
I'd be in trouble with the church. Six inches
snow, and no one says any thing.

Things are starting to snowball.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SteveB wrote:

damn, I'm sure glad I can reach my doctor with a simple phone call or
email and if worse comes to worse, I can actually go to the doctors
office and speak to the receptionist.

you'd be amazed at the quick service you get if you start shaking, fall
to the ground and muttering gibberish

I can get ahold of my cardiologist real fast, it is just that with my
insurance, everything has to come up through the tree, starting with my
GP. If it is a heart issue, I will hear back the same day. As for
pulling a seizure, they'd just call the ambulance, and take you to ER,

not if you stand up and walk out

and you would lose 16 hours in the ER while they treat Martian aliens,
and probably get a big bill with this new insurance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:

On 1/3/2014 12:11 AM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
In article ,
SteveB wrote:

In article ,
SteveB wrote:

Wake up at two in the morning with your head going 90 mph, and you can't
sleep. Your body crawls like you were in a bed of earthworms. You just
want to get up and go for a ten mile run. No sleeping. No shutting off
the deadlines, or the HoneyDew lists, or the regular list of things you
make for yourself?

Not restless leg, but whole body anxiety, like the feeling you have when
you just got missed by a car that was going sixty miles an hour. That
shuddering sensation. But it doesn't go away.

Was supposed to go to the doctor today, but when I looked, it was for
NEXT Thursday. ****.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Steve

call the doctors office for an emergency appt or call your insurance
plans advice nurse

It takes me from three to seven days to penetrate the robot phone tree
and get a human to call me back.

damn, I'm sure glad I can reach my doctor with a simple phone call or
email and if worse comes to worse, I can actually go to the doctors
office and speak to the receptionist.

you'd be amazed at the quick service you get if you start shaking, fall
to the ground and muttering gibberish

I like to walk up to the nurse's desk and say, "What's it mean when
blood squirts out of your navel?" When they start to panic, I say, "Oh
no, it's not happening to me, I was just always wanted to know." ^_^

TDD

for me it meant a rapid emergency appt with my surgeon at his office
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2014 12:48 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've heard that concept from more than one person.
After his heart attack and surgery, my Dad was on
several medications.

And here it is, 12:47 AM, and I'm awake, on the
computer.

My wife has been on a lot of medications for the past dozen years. She
was at 18 pills a day at the high point. Once or twice a year we sit
down with the doctor and review. After an ablation of the heart was
done she cut down more and is down to four prescriptions and a couple of
OTC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/05/2014 11:55 AM, Bob F wrote:

For the most part, I was OK with just taking aspirin or Tylenol ...but
obviously I did not want to be on that for the rest of my life.

One other thing I did was to take a vegetable extract supplement
called Greek Island. I assumed it to be a scam but I was willing to
try anything...and it actually helped a lot and bought me one full
year.

Those glucosamine & chondroitin
capsules did absolutely nothing.

Did you try stem cell therapy? A friend of mine had very good results on her
seriously trashed knee meniscus. She's back to playing (senior)volleyball with
no pain.
http://www.regenexx.com/2010/09/dr-c...e-orthopedics/

Unfortunately, insurance doesn't usually cover this.
Peiople that haven't yet had replacement surgery might want to research this
possibility.

I heard of it but there is no way anyone would try that with me if my
insurance would not cover it.

My doctor claimed it will be a long time before anything like that will
get approved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 5, 2014 2:50:13 PM UTC-5, philo* wrote:
On 01/05/2014 11:55 AM, Bob F wrote:

For the most part, I was OK with just taking aspirin or Tylenol ...but

obviously I did not want to be on that for the rest of my life.

Blood flow stimulators speed up the body's healing process and work in prevention in the future. Most insurance providers cover this brand cause it's FDA approved.

http://www.kingbrand.com/Knee-Injury...php?REF=52PV50

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
[...]

Knowing personally someone for whom the stem cell therapy had very good results
makes me less skeptical. Reading the book I pointed to suggests good reasons to
not have surgery. It also suggests things you can do to promote natural healing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Knowing personally someone for whom the stem cell therapy had very good

results
makes me less skeptical. Reading the book I pointed to suggests good

reasons to
not have surgery. It also suggests things you can do to promote natural

healing.

There are other good reasons to consider non-surgical alternatives. A
recent study showed that "fake" knee surgery appeared to be as effective as
real surgery in reducing knee pain:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...65e_story.html

During both sham and regular surgery, small holes are poked through
either side of the knee, so doctors can insert instruments to examine the
joint. With the surgery, known as arthroscopic partial meniscectomy, pieces
of the cushioning material that may be out of place and interfering with the
motion of the knee are trimmed away.

Because about 700,000 such surgeries are done in the United States each year
at a cost of $4 billion, the new findings "will not be welcomed with open
arms," Jarvinen predicted in a phone interview.

The study was done at five medical centers in Finland. All the volunteers
had experienced knee pain for at least three months, and doctors believed
the problem was a tear of the medial meniscus. Nonsurgical treatment had not
helped them.

Patients did not know whether they had real surgery because of the way the
researchers set up the experiment. Once a doctor had used arthroscopic
techniques to examine the knee and determine that surgery seemed
appropriate, the medical team opened an envelope - with their equipment
still in place - to reveal whether the patient would receive fake surgery or
real surgery.

For sham surgery, the microshaver that is typically used by the surgeon for
meniscus removal didn't have a blade.

--

Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Knowing personally someone for whom the stem cell therapy had very
good results makes me less skeptical. Reading the book I pointed to
suggests good reasons to not have surgery. It also suggests things
you can do to promote natural healing.

There are other good reasons to consider non-surgical alternatives. A
recent study showed that "fake" knee surgery appeared to be as
effective as real surgery in reducing knee pain:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...65e_story.html

That was mentioned in the free "book" I pointed to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 04:17:10 -0500, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Knowing personally someone for whom the stem cell therapy had very good

results
makes me less skeptical. Reading the book I pointed to suggests good

reasons to
not have surgery. It also suggests things you can do to promote natural

healing.

There are other good reasons to consider non-surgical alternatives. A
recent study showed that "fake" knee surgery appeared to be as effective as
real surgery in reducing knee pain:

Well, when you have REAL knee trouble, only REAL intervention will
work. I had a badly torn meniscus twenty some years ago - had been
giving me trouble for several years. Had arthroscopic surgery to
remove the torn flap (bucket handle tear) and it made a WORLD of
difference
[...]

I'd shoot the doctor if I had a torn meniscus and they said they did
the surgery and didn't and I ended up flat on my ass again because of
the damage. There is knee pain, and there is knee pain. When the knee
swells up like a football and won't hold your weight, sham surgery
will NOT help.. You can make a study say anything you want it to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I get this way from STRESS tends to occur in winter. Docs tell me I have seasonal effective disorder.

That would be Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
You aren't very effective...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo* posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

I am often filled with energy so I just put it to use.

I am usually up at 4am and do all my chores, post on Usenet and work on
computers in my basement workshop.

By 8 am I am usually good and tired and go back to bed for a few hours.
When I wake up again...all my chores are done and it's like it all
happened in a dream!

My wife thinks I'm nuts and she's right.

I do too, so it's confirmed! You will receive the
bill in the mail. Don't fret about it. Just pay
it. NOT covered under Oslamauncare.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do you ever ............ ? Best answer

Meanie posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

On 1/2/2014 4:17 PM, SteveB wrote:
Wake up at two in the morning with your head going 90 mph, and you can't
sleep. Your body crawls like you were in a bed of earthworms. You just
want to get up and go for a ten mile run. No sleeping. No shutting off
the deadlines, or the HoneyDew lists, or the regular list of things you
make for yourself?

Not restless leg, but whole body anxiety, like the feeling you have when
you just got missed by a car that was going sixty miles an hour. That
shuddering sensation. But it doesn't go away.

Was supposed to go to the doctor today, but when I looked, it was for
NEXT Thursday. ****.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Steve

Could be many reasons from diet to bad rituals/habits.

Certain foods (fatty foods) can cause insomnia and/or restless sleep
along with inconsistent eating habits.

Irregular bedtime hours.

Smoking before bedtime.

Lack of exercise.

emitting lights such as a night light.

Raised body temperature/bed too warm.

Medication.

Watching tv prior to bed.

These are some issues which could result in what you are experiencing.

I don't believe in taking meds unless it's the LAST RESORT.

If you don't exercise, try stretching muscles throughout the day and
prior to bed. It helps the body relax and avoid the restless leg
syndrome. If you don't exercise, I suggest starting, even if mild.
Studies indicate even mild exercise aids in sound sleep.

Meditation can also help release the anxiety. Learning to relax and
focus on non-stressful scenarios will eliminate the marathon running mind.

Sometimes there just isn't anything one can do to avoid a restless
night. That's when it may be time for a pill or serious shot of tequila.
But be ready for a slight hangover.

Overall, I have great success with meditation and exercising. Keeping
the body and mind in shape allows me great sleep.

Master bating is the best cure for insomnia.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Azaleas indoors?

On 1/2/2014 10:54 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
Norminn writes:

Buy a couple of orchid plants, christmas cactus, or potted
azaleas. Learn to care for them...they bloom in winter and might
brighten your day. Always good to have something to look forward to.

I just got my first orchid plant to re-bloom, the second one is on it's
way. Christmas Cactus we've had for years, they bloom all winter,
they're great.

But Azaleas? Do they need a lot of light?
How often do they bloom?

I've never tried azaleas indoors, but my mom did. Mom could keep any
plant alive and flourishing. Her azaleas were small, in pots, normally
in shaded west window. In fall, they went to the cold vestibule of her
apartment building, along with the Christmas cactus, for about a month.
I think she brought them back into the apartment around first of
December....as with many other things, I wish I had written it down )

When I bought my first orchid, I really did not expect it to survive,
but I had sunny windows to use. Now I have six, all looking great. Ice
cubes every other day. I should have repotted them in December, but now
I'll wait until they are done blooming. Made the mistake of leaving one
in a plastic pot and almost drowned it....full of water for who knows
how long ;o(

I picked up an odd looking plant last year at the garden center, having
no idea what it was. Leaves resemble staghorn fern, but are smoothe,
shiny and lighter green. It was massively rootbound, so I put it in a
larger pot. Only in the last month, with new leaves coming up, could I
tell it is actually a fern.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/3/2014 6:16 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I actually went out on a job today with my roommate. I had
converted a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N Router, with a 4 port switch
into an access point for a customer who owns a restaurant where he
and management use iPads and iPhones in the kitchen area. I set him
up a separate network from his general wireless network used by
customers and it's on his POS network which is separated from the
network used by customers. I found the wireless router in a junk
pile in an equipment room a few years ago when me and JH were
installing a T1 interface for a customer. The thing has a 2010 date
code on it so it was fairly new and I took it home and adopted it
until I found another newer castaway Linksys Wireless-N router. I
got down on my hands and knees under a desk to tie into the back
office network which caused me blinding pain but later we dropped
by a couple of stores so I could pick up items I needed and
walking around the first store hurt a lot with me using the
shopping cart as a walker. When we got to the next store I wasn't
hurting as bad and didn't have to use the shopping cart there as
much for support as when I was at the first store. Getting out and
moving around definitely helps me a lot. Today I'm going over to
the house belonging to the widow of my late friend GB to find out
what's wrong with the central heat. Hopefully it's something simple
and won't cost anything to repair. Dang it's cold for this part of
the country. 21°F Heat Index 7°F right now at 5:15am. My Yankee
cousins laugh at that temperature and my Canadian cousins would be
walking around in shorts. ^_^

TDD

Last night, I went to bed with 6 inches of heavy, bitter cold snow on
the side porch. Not much more over night (looking out the window at
vehicle roof). I can't remember what it is, but 21F sounds warm,
compared. It's some like nine degrees F, out there.

Does the cold make your aches and pains worse? Does me, but mostly
due to shoveling snow.

I hurt like hell when the temperature drops. o_O

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Last night, I went to bed with 6 inches of heavy, bitter cold snow on
the side porch. Not much more over night (looking out the window at
vehicle roof). I can't remember what it is, but 21F sounds warm,
compared. It's some like nine degrees F, out there.

Does the cold make your aches and pains worse? Does me, but mostly
due to shoveling snow.

I hurt like hell when the temperature drops. o_O

TDD

I've had trouble going to bed with six inches of snow.
Sorry to hear cold makes your aches worse.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2014 6:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Last night, I went to bed with 6 inches of heavy, bitter cold snow on
the side porch. Not much more over night (looking out the window at
vehicle roof). I can't remember what it is, but 21F sounds warm,
compared. It's some like nine degrees F, out there.

Does the cold make your aches and pains worse? Does me, but mostly
due to shoveling snow.

I hurt like hell when the temperature drops. o_O

TDD

I've had trouble going to bed with six inches of snow.
Sorry to hear cold makes your aches worse.

It's 24°F right now which is very cold for Alabamastan. Me and Sandy
were watch Sherlock on the computer at 5:00am. The poor little critter
gets cold because it's cold down there on the floor. ^_^

TDD