Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11-10-2013 17:56, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/10/2013 11:35 AM, Wes Groleau wrote:

"Five foot nine;
Eyes that shine;
changes water into wine--
has anybody seen my Lord ?"

(name that tune)

Something by Dolly Boobs, or Miss Piggy?

No.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbE9ZAfAvH8

--
Wes Groleau

€œA man with an experience is never
at the mercy of a man with an argument.€
€” Ron Allen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-10-2013 09:23, The Daring Dufas wrote:
Pictures like that of Jesus really crack me up because there is no way
he looked like that. He was a short chubby curly black haired Jewish guy
with a big nose and a dark tan. This nonsense of Jesus being a light
skinned tall Northern European fellow with straight hair and blue eyes
must stop. o_O

short -- no way of telling
chubby -- no way of telling
curly hair -- no way of telling
black haired -- probably
Jewish guy -- no question
big nose -- probably
dark tan -- probably
eyes not blue -- almost certainly

Some have interpreted Isaiah 53:2b to indicate that he was far from "handsome"

"Five foot nine;
Eyes that shine;
changes water into wine--
has anybody seen my Lord ?"

(name that tune)

Five foot two, eyes of blue,
But oh! what those five foot could do,
Has anybody seen my girl?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 09:52:52 -0700, Wes Groleau
wrote:

...snip....or AIOE won't let me post

Wow, you're lucky. What I usually get is "can you reboot your
computer?" Followed by "which version of Internet Explorer do you
have?"

If I were lucky enough to get the response you describe, I would handle
it differently from you. I would say instead,

"That's why I called you instead of your incompetent web team."

You may have sightly misunderstood. I called them to find out if they HAD
what I needed and to PLACE an order, not to find out how to fix/work their
website. If they even start down that path [reboot, what version, etc] I
tell them along the lines of, "Send me the money and I'll buy the latest
computer just for you, so I can buy from you! Further, requiring the most
costly computer is a little like making a customer pay an entrance fee
when going into your store, which I'll never do. More importantly, I don't
wish to spend ANY MORE time, I can make my money back. I can't make my
time back. If your firm keeps wasting my time, the cost of doing business
with you has become too high, and I will not. Do YOU understand? I know it
is NOT your fault, but tell people responsible, else it will never
change." By admitting that I know it is not their fault, it removes any
potential of them defensively posturing, AND by giving them a course of
action, win their support. EVERYBODY likes a course of action, there is
nothing worse than facing the frustrations of seeing something wrong and
having NO WAY to inform, nor change.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:27:15 -0700, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

...snip...

All I remember about Jesus/God was that Sister Godzilla kept telling me
that he was going to smite me dead because I was so evil. I questioned
why God would smite me dead for looking up Cristina's dress when I'm
only six years old? I didn't think I was that important. Of course I
decided all adults were full of crap when I was six, the mistake I made
was letting the nuns know how I felt. The trouble I caused was because a
lot of what I was being told didn't make a lot of sense to me and I
would question it. Of course I was considered the spawn of Satan because
of my refusal to accept everything as the absolute truth. o_O

TDD

Wow! I NEVER met a surly, nor mean, nun. Was taught always with kindness.
Never even saw any of those rulers over the knuckles, nor bullying so
often alluded to. Even was given gifts from nuns [which I still have] when
the schooling sessions ended and they were transferred elsewhere.

However, sadly I agree with the 'closed mindedness' of the answers to many
questions. But, upon asking a question and getting any hint of heading
down the road of 'trust me I'm the Expert' I always said 'Great!' that
means you'll stand with me when I face God so I can say, "Well, THIS
person told me..." and I'll be out from under all the blame?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.w6d5myfw2cx0wh@ajm

Wow! I NEVER met a surly, nor mean, nun. Was taught
always with kindness. Never even saw any of those rulers
over the knuckles, nor bullying so often alluded to.

It wasn't just nuns. I recall, semi-fondly, my second grade teacher at
Waverly Elementary in KCK, Miss Brown. She used to whack me on the knuckles
with a ruler to encourage me not to bite my nails. Didn't work, I still do
it...possibly just to spite her.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
It wasn't just nuns. I recall, semi-fondly, my second grade teacher at
Waverly Elementary in KCK, Miss Brown. She used to whack me on the
knuckles with a ruler to encourage me not to bite my nails. Didn't work,
I still do it...possibly just to spite her.

My 8 th grade english teacher never went anywhere in the class room without
her foot long ruler with her. She was a small woman not even 5 feet tall.
She might as well been 6 foot 6 inches and weighed 250 pounds. No one gave
her any back talk and if you were not doing what she wanted you to do she
would hit you on the hand or knuckles with that ruler.
That was in the good old school days of the 60's where the teacher was the
boss of what went on in her class.
She had beter disipline in her class than the shop teacher did with his
canoe paddle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2013 03:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
That was in the good old school days of the 60's where the teacher was the
boss of what went on in her class.
She had beter disipline in her class than the shop teacher did with his
canoe paddle.

Back in the bad old days, teachers would punish bad behavior.

Today, teachers reward good behavior. Makes me want to go back to school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4241276.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike Hunt-Hertz" wrote in message

Back in the bad old days, teachers would punish bad behavior.

Today, teachers reward good behavior. Makes me want to go back to school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4241276.html

Teachers I had never looked like that. It would have been punishment to me
with the ones I had.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

...snip...

All I remember about Jesus/God was that Sister Godzilla kept telling me
that he was going to smite me dead because I was so evil. I questioned
why God would smite me dead for looking up Cristina's dress when I'm
only six years old? I didn't think I was that important. Of course I
decided all adults were full of crap when I was six, the mistake I
made was letting the nuns know how I felt. The trouble I caused was
because a lot of what I was being told didn't make a lot of sense to
me and I would question it. Of course I was considered the spawn of Satan because

of my refusal to accept everything as the absolute truth. o_O

TDD

Wow! I NEVER met a surly, nor mean, nun. Was taught always with kindness.
Never even saw any of those rulers over the knuckles, nor bullying so often alluded to.

I received my First Communion in a church that had these spring loaded
clips on the back of pews so the gentlemen could hang their hats:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BW9t_cQCQAA8UJ4.jpg

If you pulled the clip out and let it go, it would make a snap that would
echo throughout the church. If someone did it during rehearsals and a nun
figured out who it was, she would take the culprit into an alcove a rapped
his knuckles with a ruler. That rap, and the scream that usually followed,
would also echo throughout the church. There were constant reminders of the
pain that would rain down on us if any of us snapped the clip during the
Communion ceremony.

Well, come that Sunday, there were visiting priests and other church
dignitaries in attendance. Right in the middle of the ceremony one of the
priests pulled back on the clip and a loud snap was heard throughout the
church. After a moment of shocked silence, a ripple of 7 & 8 year old
laughter spread throughout the church as we all realized that the nuns
weren't about to take a priest into the alcove and rap his knuckles. To
this day we don't know if the priest did it on purpose or not, but when we
started laughing, so did he. The nuns, not so much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:
On 11/11/2013 03:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
That was in the good old school days of the 60's where the teacher was the
boss of what went on in her class.
She had beter disipline in her class than the shop teacher did with his
canoe paddle.

Back in the bad old days, teachers would punish bad behavior.

4th grade classroom. Desks on both sides of a center aisle. A big, strong,
male teacher who would stroll the aisle during class.

One kid (a constant troublemaker) who sat at a desk along the aisle was
goofing off. The teacher grabbed him by the hair and basically bowled him
up the aisle into the blackboard wall.

I don't recall if any action was taken against the teacher, but I do recall
that he remained a teacher at that school for many more years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2013 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

4th grade classroom. Desks on both sides of a center aisle. A big, strong,
male teacher who would stroll the aisle during class.

One kid (a constant troublemaker) who sat at a desk along the aisle was
goofing off. The teacher grabbed him by the hair and basically bowled him
up the aisle into the blackboard wall.

I don't recall if any action was taken against the teacher, but I do recall
that he remained a teacher at that school for many more years.

That sounds a bit painful. Might have been
a bit much for the situation. But, then, I
wasn't there.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/11/2013 6:05 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

4th grade classroom. Desks on both sides of a center aisle. A big, strong,
male teacher who would stroll the aisle during class.

One kid (a constant troublemaker) who sat at a desk along the aisle was
goofing off. The teacher grabbed him by the hair and basically bowled him
up the aisle into the blackboard wall.

I don't recall if any action was taken against the teacher, but I do recall
that he remained a teacher at that school for many more years.

That sounds a bit painful. Might have been
a bit much for the situation. But, then, I
wasn't there.

We didn't think so. I was in the same Boy Scout troop as the kid for the
next few years. Nobody wanted him in their patrol, let alone go camping
with him. He was such a troublemaker and screw up that I remember him to
this day.

One year we were camping in lean-tos. There was a small fire pit in front
of each lean-to. In the middle of the night he didn't feel like walking to
the out house, so he peed on the hot rocks in front of the lean-to. Nobody
likes the smell of steaming urine.

Granted, maybe the kid had problems and maybe today he would be "diagnosed"
with something, but back then his kind of behavior was handled in a very
different manner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You're right, I didn't understand. My words aren't intended to fix
anything, just to vent. Because the person I would be talking to
(even if I called tech support)
(1) has no authority to do anything about it,
(2) has no access to someone who does, and
(3) doesn't care.

Well, _sometimes_ tech support has access to someone who can do
something about it. But more often they know nothing and are sternly
ordered "DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE SCRIPT if you want to keep your
minimum-wage, part-time job."

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2013 6:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
That sounds a bit painful. Might have been
a bit much for the situation. But, then, I
wasn't there.

We didn't think so. I was in the same Boy Scout troop as the kid for the
next few years. Nobody wanted him in their patrol, let alone go camping
with him. He was such a troublemaker and screw up that I remember him to
this day.

One year we were camping in lean-tos. There was a small fire pit in front
of each lean-to. In the middle of the night he didn't feel like walking to
the out house, so he peed on the hot rocks in front of the lean-to. Nobody
likes the smell of steaming urine.

Granted, maybe the kid had problems and maybe today he would be "diagnosed"
with something, but back then his kind of behavior was handled in a very
different manner.

As I wrote, wasn't there. One night a couple decades
ago, I spent in a tent with two men and two boys. The
one, about 15, got up in the AM. He unzipped the tent
a bit, and whizzed straight out of the tent. I'm thinking
"now, we all got to crawl through your whiz..."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/11/2013 7:01 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Well, _sometimes_ tech support has access to someone who can do
something about it. But more often they know nothing and are sternly
ordered "DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE SCRIPT if you want to keep your
minimum-wage, part-time job."

I mostly end up on the phone with such
drones. Sigh.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-11-2013, 16:10, Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:
Back in the bad old days, teachers would punish bad behavior.
Today, teachers reward good behavior. Makes me want to go back to school.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4241276.html

What makes you think they are rewarding good behavior? Seems to me
students so involved are the ones likely to have other behavior problems.

I got a kick out of one of the assicated photos, with a caption that the
student is suing the school district for a million bucks because they
"did not prevent him from having sex with the teacher."

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-11-2013, 19:06, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/11/2013 7:01 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:

Well, _sometimes_ tech support has access to someone who can do
something about it. But more often they know nothing and are sternly
ordered "DO NOT DEVIATE FROM THE SCRIPT if you want to keep your
minimum-wage, part-time job."

I mostly end up on the phone with such
drones. Sigh.

Not only that, but some of them are told "If the customer asks for a
supervisor, put on hold hand the phone to your neighbor. If your
neighbor hands you the phone, wait fifteen seconds, then go off hold and
repeat what the script says."

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-11-2013, 18:05, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:
On 11/11/2013 03:43 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
That was in the good old school days of the 60's where the teacher was the
boss of what went on in her class.
She had beter disipline in her class than the shop teacher did with his
canoe paddle.

Back in the bad old days, teachers would punish bad behavior.

4th grade classroom. Desks on both sides of a center aisle. A big, strong,
male teacher who would stroll the aisle during class.

One kid (a constant troublemaker) who sat at a desk along the aisle was
goofing off. The teacher grabbed him by the hair and basically bowled him
up the aisle into the blackboard wall.

I don't recall if any action was taken against the teacher, but I do recall
that he remained a teacher at that school for many more years.

My six-grade teacher grabbed one clown's back belt loop and tossed him
out the door. Then grabbed the other one at neck and knees, folded him
at the waste and stuck him butt-first in the trash can.

He didn't get fired either.

On the other extreme, I met a lady who quit upon being yelled at by the
principal for tapping a sleeping student on the shoulder.

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-11-2013, 07:05, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

Give that man a cigar! Or a crucifix. Or something.

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-11-2013, 20:00, Wes Groleau wrote:
folded him at the waste and stuck him butt-first in the trash can.

oops, that's "folded him at the trash and stuck him butt-first in the
waist can." No, wait, that's not it either, ...

--
Wes Groleau

Trying to be happy is like trying to build a machine for which
the only specification is that it should run noiselessly.
€” unknown

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wes Groleau wrote:
"Five foot nine;
Eyes that shine;
changes water into wine--
has anybody seen my Lord ?"

(name that tune)

Five foot two, eyes of blue,
But oh! what those five foot could do,
Has anybody seen my girl?

Give that man a cigar! Or a crucifix. Or something.

I guess he nailed it?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 2:27:15 PM UTC-6, The Daring Dufas wrote:

All I remember about Jesus/God was that Sister Godzilla kept telling me

that he was going to smite me dead because I was so evil. I questioned

why God would smite me dead for looking up Cristina's dress when I'm

only six years old? I didn't think I was that important. Of course I

decided all adults were full of crap when I was six, the mistake I made

was letting the nuns know how I felt. The trouble I caused was because a

lot of what I was being told didn't make a lot of sense to me and I

would question it. Of course I was considered the spawn of Satan because

of my refusal to accept everything as the absolute truth. o_O

TDD

You paint yourself as a rebel and an intellectual...I think you stretch the truth in both regards.
The church does admit it has failed to educate in many ways. Arch-Bishop Sheen back in the 50's told parents to send their children to public school because we did such a dismal job of communicating to our young.
I was in Catholic school in the 50's and saw nothing but caring in regards to teaching nuns through 8 grades.
You need to re-educate yourself in your beliefs...I would suggest Fr. Barron.
http://www.wordonfire.org/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-11-2013, 19:48, Wes Groleau wrote:
I got a kick out of one of the assicated photos, with a caption that the

"assicated" ? Sheesh, I guess when you turn sixty you need to put away
the keyboard and go back to pencils.

--
Wes Groleau

The man who says, €œI can do it!" may sometimes fail.
The man who says, €œImpossible!" will never succeed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 02:45:26 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-11-2013, 19:48, Wes Groleau wrote:
I got a kick out of one of the assicated photos, with a caption that the

"assicated" ? Sheesh, I guess when you turn sixty you need to put away
the keyboard and go back to pencils.

If that were the case, there would be no one left on the Usenet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:45:26 AM UTC-6, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-11-2013, 19:48, Wes Groleau wrote:

I got a kick out of one of the assicated photos, with a caption that the

"assicated" ? Sheesh, I guess when you turn sixty you need to put away

the keyboard and go back to pencils.

Usenet assicated...seen he http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/...ps63f58639.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2013 8:29 AM, Mike Hunt-Hertz wrote:
On 11/10/2013 08:53 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 09 Nov 2013 15:16:12 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:
Loads instantly on my iPad, both in my newsreader's web window and in
Safari.

THAT'S EXACTLY the answers I get when I complain about some vendor's
website, "Well, I just tried it and it worked for
me." Certainly FULL of information on where to look and how to fix,
right?

The website I like is the one paid for with tax dollars to provide the
service of presenting aerial maps and now
REQUIRING Microsoft Silverlight! Yeah, REQUIRES Silverlight for those
fixed images. Oh, but the zoom in overlay
graphics are so much MORE dramatic than before. All that for
'transitional' oomph! The aerial maps/photos are STILL
blurry, though.

You are 100% correct, Robert! The web is seriously broken.

When you mix multiple versions of html, java, javascript, css,
silverlight, flash, banner ads from multiple servers, and a bazillion
different browsers, not to mention that most web sites are created by
the cheapest hack, it's an absolute ****ing wonder that web pages load
at all.

That's why I have a dozen different web browsers installed on my system.
I use Pale Moon on my Win XP box but with the add-ons for malware
protection, so much crap is blocked that I must switch to a different
browser like Opera. Besides, I like to see how the different browsers
handle the same website. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:54:03 -0700, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-11-2013, 20:00, Wes Groleau wrote:
folded him at the waste and stuck him butt-first in the trash can.

oops, that's "folded him at the trash and stuck him butt-first in the
waist can." No, wait, that's not it either, ...

All this violent punishment as retribution! You must be one of the
believers in capital punishment in schools.

I wonder how Stormin Mormon feels [email protected] Home Repair 63 December 1st 12 05:53 PM
Stormin Mormon is a TROLL [email protected] Home Repair 17 November 28th 11 04:31 AM
Ethanol Ate my Stormin Mormon! Bob F Home Repair 30 November 1st 11 09:45 PM
PING: Stormin Mormon DanG Home Repair 2 May 29th 05 04:26 PM
Hey, Stormin' Mormon Injun-ear Home Repair 7 May 13th 05 07:05 PM