DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT - To Stormin Mormon (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/363714-ot-stormin-mormon.html)

RobertMacy November 4th 13 04:33 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:

While traveling through northern Arizona with a full camera crew we
stopped for petrol and refreshments at a town deemed a "Mormon Town".
While getting back into our van my wallet containing $1200 [need cash for
trips] fell from my pocket; the loss going unnoticed until much further
down the road. Upon discovering the loss, we turned back to the logical
location where I could have lost my wallet. We searched and searched, but
found nothing anywhere. So went inside and inquired if anybody had turned
in a wallet. Someone had! Upon confirming my name, the gentleman [who had
actually also found the wallet] returned it to me. Upon checking the
contents, I found the whole of the funds completely intact. I offered a
reward to the man who replied, "No, but thank you. I could not possibly
accept any reward for it would lessen my reward from Jesus Christ." [words
to that effect.]

Just thought you'd like to hear something GOOD for a change.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 4th 13 05:30 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/4/2013 11:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:

[...]

Thank you. Best I've heard in a long time.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

dadiOH[_3_] November 4th 13 05:48 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:

[...]

Nice of you to post it but I still prefer these words from "The Rubiyat of
Omar Khayyam": "Ah, take the cash and let the credit go..." . I'm not big
on distant drums either :)

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Jon Danniken[_7_] November 4th 13 08:52 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/04/2013 08:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[snip]

And what does this have to do with home repair? Nothing.

Jon

Higgs Boson[_2_] November 4th 13 08:54 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:33:53 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:
From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:

[...]

Similar happened to me years ago when traveling through rural Mexico with small son. Left my &*^^%$))^^%$ WALLET somewhere - can't remember where. Went back in fear & trembling -- was told me a young man had found it and taken it home, leaving his address. We went there; he had it; I had to practically twist his arm to accept a small thank you. Whew! Restored my faith in people's decency.

HB

dadiOH[_3_] November 4th 13 08:55 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
message
On 11/04/2013 08:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[snip]

And what does this have to do with home repair? Nothing.

Just a wild guess but I suspect that is why it has "OT" in the subject line.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 4th 13 10:35 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/4/2013 3:52 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 11/04/2013 08:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[snip]

And what does this have to do with home repair? Nothing.

Jon

Yes, it sure is off topic. It really
needs to be labelled OT.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

RobertMacy November 5th 13 12:59 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:54:19 -0700, Higgs Boson
wrote:

...snip...

Similar happened to me years ago when traveling through rural Mexico
with small son. Left my &*^^%$))^^%$ WALLET somewhere - can't remember
where. Went back in fear & trembling -- was told me a young man had
found it and taken it home, leaving his address. We went there; he had
it; I had to practically twist his arm to accept a small thank you.
Whew! Restored my faith in people's decency.

HB

Glad to hear of excellent experience

Historically, I've had my share of 'learned' bad experiences from Hispanic
community. Examples: freshly poured concrete sidewalk in front of home
being defaced by young children ACCOMPANIED by their mothers on a walk!
Mothers saying nothing in spite of me charging out and yelling at them to
stop it. Out about in public, being subjected to attitude towards me,
attitude uncalled for, more like getting a 'pre-emptive' attitude. Or,
enjoying an extremely private area along the beach, when suddenly being
imposed upon by huge group, plopping down within 20 feet, on an empty
beach that goes for over 1000 feet - why next to us? etc etc.

Then, late one night while driving through the bad sections of the dreaded
'east side' I ran out of gas! had to walk to a service station, yes, even
late at night the station was occupied by a roudy crowd that immediately
took umbrage at my presence as I walked in. Almost like What are YOU doing
here? When I told them I ran out of gas at so-and-so intersection, they
became very concerned. The lady station attendant handed me a plastic
gallon can to go fill with gasoline, and told me to bring it back when I'm
done. She never even asked for a deposit on the can, nor payment at that
moment for the contents. She just said come back and when you get more pay
then. One of youths said he was on his way home and had to go by where I
had abandoned my car so he could drop me off, which he did. I 'primed' the
car with the one gallon can the lady had given me [could have completely
left that neighborhood], drove back to the station, gave her back the can
and paid for the gasoline. Where upon I profusely thanked her and went on
home not too much later than expected due to all the help I had received.

That experience completely erased the bad impression of the Hispanic
community I had formed, ...up until that event. Now I realize, if you NEED
help, you'll probably get a shirt off someone's back.

The Daring Dufas[_8_] November 5th 13 04:36 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/4/2013 2:54 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Monday, November 4, 2013 8:33:53 AM UTC-8, Robert Macy wrote:
From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:

[...]

The attitude of folks living in rural America is quite different from
that of people living in urban areas. If you had lost your wallet in
Washington D.C. or New York City, the money and credit cards would have
been removed then the wallet tossed into the nearest trash can. If the
wallet had been found by a congressman, you would have gotten the wallet
back with taxes taken out of the money. ^_^

TDD

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 5th 13 12:11 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/4/2013 7:59 PM, RobertMacy wrote:

[...]

Nice to hear of good experiences. I think that
some public figures do try to whip up the racial
discontent. Glad to hear that some people are still
kind to each other.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 5th 13 12:12 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

The attitude of folks living in rural America is quite different from
that of people living in urban areas. If you had lost your wallet in
Washington D.C. or New York City, the money and credit cards would have
been removed then the wallet tossed into the nearest trash can. If the
wallet had been found by a congressman, you would have gotten the wallet
back with taxes taken out of the money. ^_^

TDD

In DC, they would probably mail the wallet back (no
charge, franking) minus the cash and CC, and a tax
levy bill included.

Wallet returned in NYC? Fugeddabouddit.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

dadiOH[_3_] November 5th 13 12:16 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 13:54:19 -0700, Higgs Boson
wrote:

...snip...

[...]

Maybe yes, maybe no, depending...Mexico, yes; USA, maybe.

I was driving from Veracruz, Mexico to Florida and stopped in Victoria,
Texas for gas late in the afternoon. After fueling, the car was dead in the
water; fortunately, it was across the street from a repair place and they
determined that the starter was dead.

They were just closing and couldn't fix me til the next AM so I decided to
get a jump start and go on to Houston, figuring I had a shot at finding a
repair place open in the evening there. The plan was to drive around until
I spotted a place then leave the engine running while I checked to see if
they could take care of me.

So I get to Houston, drive around, spot a place, stop to check and
immediately turn off the engine (force of habit is very strong). DAMN! Oh,
well, no big deal, there was a very busy self serve gas station next door so
I'd have no problem getting a push. Remember, I was coming from Mexico
where I had been living; got a problem there and people come flying out of
the woodwork to help.

It turned out that the AUTO REPAIR PARTS place where I had stopped was
just auto repair PARTS, no repair so I started asking people at the gas
station for a push. I might as well have been asking to beat them senseless
with a 2x4. I asked 6-10 people, all looked at me as if I was some sort of
deranged pervert.

I spent the night at a motel, got fixed the next day. Just as well, I was
getting to the age where 40 hours straight driving was a bit much.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

The Daring Dufas[_8_] November 5th 13 02:34 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 6:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The attitude of folks living in rural America is quite different from
that of people living in urban areas. If you had lost your wallet in
Washington D.C. or New York City, the money and credit cards would have
been removed then the wallet tossed into the nearest trash can. If the
wallet had been found by a congressman, you would have gotten the wallet
back with taxes taken out of the money. ^_^

TDD

In DC, they would probably mail the wallet back (no
charge, franking) minus the cash and CC, and a tax
levy bill included.

Wallet returned in NYC? Fugeddabouddit.

Around Birmingham, it really depends on the area and the individual. I
found a new Motorola cellphone and belt clip in a trashcan where I was
doing some work where me and JH were moving some equipment to a the new
location of a women's clothing store. I got home with the phone and had
a charger that would fit so I charged it up, found it was working then
discovered a phone book entry labeled "Mom". I called the number, got
voice mail, left my name and number explaining that I had found the
phone. I later got a call from a young woman who had lost the phone in
the clothing store. I met her at a service station nearby and returned
it to her. Someone asked me why I returned the phone and my answer was,
"It wasn't mine." Simple huh? ^_^

TDD

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 5th 13 03:06 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

Around Birmingham, it really depends on the area and the individual. I
found a new Motorola cellphone and belt clip in a trashcan where I was
doing some work where me and JH were moving some equipment to a the new
location of a women's clothing store. I got home with the phone and had
a charger that would fit so I charged it up, found it was working then
discovered a phone book entry labeled "Mom". I called the number, got
voice mail, left my name and number explaining that I had found the
phone. I later got a call from a young woman who had lost the phone in
the clothing store. I met her at a service station nearby and returned
it to her. Someone asked me why I returned the phone and my answer was,
"It wasn't mine." Simple huh? ^_^

TDD

"thought you might want it back...."

One time when I was working at a factory, a woman
lost her eye glasses. She put out the word, and
we searched the trash barrels, dumpsters, etc. The
factory found four or five pair of Rx eye glasses,
none hers. Not sure if she ever got them back.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Bob F November 5th 13 05:16 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 11/5/2013 6:12 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The attitude of folks living in rural America is quite different
from that of people living in urban areas. If you had lost your
wallet in Washington D.C. or New York City, the money and credit
cards would have been removed then the wallet tossed into the
nearest trash can. If the wallet had been found by a congressman,
you would have gotten the wallet back with taxes taken out of the
money. ^_^ TDD

In DC, they would probably mail the wallet back (no
charge, franking) minus the cash and CC, and a tax
levy bill included.

Wallet returned in NYC? Fugeddabouddit.

Around Birmingham, it really depends on the area and the individual.

Actually, everywhere, it depends only on the individual. An honest caring person
will make an effort to return it wherever they live. So it depends on who finds
it, and whether there is sufficient info within to find the owner.

willshak November 5th 13 05:28 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

Jon Danniken wrote:
On 11/04/2013 08:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[snip]

And what does this have to do with home repair? Nothing.

Jon

You may need that misplaced money to buy home repair stuff?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

The Daring Dufas[_8_] November 5th 13 05:44 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 11:16 AM, Bob F wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
[...]

I was lucky to find her mom's number on the phone, otherwise it would
have been harder to track her down. It bugs me to find lost property and
not know who to contact. I've had folks return my property before
so I try to return the favor but there are those times when my property
has vanished, never to be seen again. o_O

TDD

SteveB[_14_] November 5th 13 06:10 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/4/2013 9:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
From a 'Documentary Film Producer', slightly paraphrased:

[...]

RTFM. One's reward comes from believing that Jesus is the son of God,
that he was a real man, that he came to Earth, and that he died on the
cross to take away our sins so that we might have eternal life. Those
who accept this, and his teachings will reap the rewards. No amount of
good deeds can get you into heaven. (This is one of the major different
points between Mormonism and Christianity, where Mormons believe that
their good deeds and temple rituals get them their own planet in the
heavenly universe.) And no modified doctrines or "new" prophecies will
create new rules and/or change the Word of God. Galatians 1:6-9, Rev.
22:18-19. It is interesting that almost the last word of the Bible is a
warning against adding to the Bible or changing it. Many strong
warnings are given against people who want to be false teachers, or just
followers who are easily lead. James 3:1. The Bible is full of
warnings of the coming churches, many passages aimed directly at the LDS
faith. In Titus 1:5-9, the requirements for a deacon are spelled out.
It describes a fully grown married man with children. In the LDS faith,
boys are made deacons automatically at age 12.

But the Mormons say, " The bible is true as far as it is correctly
interpreted." That statement converts to strike out anything that
contradicts Mormonism. Well, if you strike chapter and verse that are
directly copied from the Bible to Book of Mormon, you'd have a skeleton
left. And if the Bible is not true, and the Book of Mormon is based on
the bible, then it, too is not true. You can't have it both ways.

So far, no trace of the ancient Mormon civilization they created in the
New World has been found. Not one inscription. Not one potshard. The
Smithsonian has stated that on paper. And their numbers were described
"as many as the grains of sand on the beach." This is a direct
plagiarism from a Bible verse. Recent DNA studies of 3500 North and
South American Indian tribes shows that only .05% of all the current
Indian tribes in North and South America came from the Middle east, the
area where the founders Laman and Lemuel came from. Most came from the
areas of Siberia and Mongolia. The Mormons had been claiming all
Indians as descendents of the Mormons, until the Indians took exception,
and took them to task legally. They were also baptizing victims of the
Holocaust, and the Jewish faith took that to task. Essentially, it
amounted to changing the faith of a Jew to a Mormon by the baptism of a
young proxy temple worker at a LDS temple behind locked doors. But,
hey, until you're caught, it's okay, right?

Put it this way: A decent honest person would have returned the wallet
just because it was the right thing to do. No rewards expected.
Christian, Hindu, Mormon, Taoist, or Shintu. Right is right, and we
don't get any points for doing what is right. Especially if someone
finds out about it. Anonymous good deeds are the only pure ones.

Deborah Laake - Secret Ceremonies ........ a book of a Mormon woman. An
interesting read, but sometimes it takes three months to get one at a
local library, as Mormons check out the book for a year at a time, and
pay the fine to keep it out of public circulation.

Steve
ex-Mormon
www.exmormon.org Hear it from people who BTDT

And whatever you believe, investigate it thoroughly.

Oren[_2_] November 5th 13 07:05 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 22:36:42 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

The attitude of folks living in rural America is quite different from
that of people living in urban areas. If you had lost your wallet in
Washington D.C. or New York City, the money and credit cards would have
been removed then the wallet tossed into the nearest trash can. If the
wallet had been found by a congressman, you would have gotten the wallet
back with taxes taken out of the money. ^_^

TDD

You reminded me about the FBI's ABSCAM Sting. Congress Critter took
$25,000 (marked money). Drove around and started spending it.

He said to the FBI: 'I was doing my own investigation and needed gas'
or something like that :)

When he was cleaning prison toilets at Club Fed he learned some stuff.

Oren[_2_] November 5th 13 07:24 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 17:59:48 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

That experience completely erased the bad impression of the Hispanic
community I had formed, ...up until that event. Now I realize, if you NEED
help, you'll probably get a shirt off someone's back.

+1

.... I grew up in the segregated South. A descendant of slave owners. I
became completely different from that culture.

I only see green.

dadiOH[_3_] November 5th 13 07:35 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

"SteveB" wrote in message

And whatever you believe, investigate it thoroughly.

That's an excellent admonition. No offense intended but one of the things
that people might want to check is how the bible came to be (if it pertains
to you). The origin of the book of Mormon could stand some scrutiny too.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Oren[_2_] November 5th 13 07:51 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:34:45 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

discovered a phone book entry labeled "Mom". I called the number, got
voice mail, left my name and number explaining that I had found the
phone.

I can't exactly recall now, but things I have read is to use ECN
(emergency contact number) ?

It had something to do with paramedics, etc.

You can put several numbers under 'ECN'. They can reach your family on
your cell phone.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 5th 13 09:06 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 1:10 PM, SteveB wrote:

RTFM. One's reward comes from believing that Jesus is the son of God,
that he was a real man, that he came to Earth, and that he died on the
cross to take away our sins so that we might have eternal life. Those
who accept this, and his teachings will reap the rewards.

CY: Sing it, bro!

No amount of
good deeds can get you into heaven.

CY: Nope, but good deeds sure can improve things once you get there.
Unlike binary (are you a 100 or a 0?) Christians, Mormons believe that
hard work and keeping the commandments has its reward.

(This is one of the major different
points between Mormonism and Christianity, where Mormons believe that
their good deeds and temple rituals get them their own planet in the
heavenly universe.) And no modified doctrines or "new" prophecies will
create new rules and/or change the Word of God. Galatians 1:6-9, Rev.
22:18-19. It is interesting that almost the last word of the Bible is a
warning against adding to the Bible or changing it.

CY: Which was put there in about 1,000 AD by King James men. But, it
didn't say that God has finished speaking.

Many strong
warnings are given against people who want to be false teachers, or just
followers who are easily lead. James 3:1. The Bible is full of
warnings of the coming churches, many passages aimed directly at the LDS
faith.

CY: Says you....

In Titus 1:5-9, the requirements for a deacon are spelled out.
It describes a fully grown married man with children. In the LDS faith,
boys are made deacons automatically at age 12.

CY: You don't know much about the Mormon faith, I see?

But the Mormons say, " The bible is true as far as it is correctly
interpreted." That statement converts to strike out anything that
contradicts Mormonism. Well, if you strike chapter and verse that are
directly copied from the Bible to Book of Mormon, you'd have a skeleton
left. And if the Bible is not true, and the Book of Mormon is based on
the bible, then it, too is not true. You can't have it both ways.

So far, no trace of the ancient Mormon civilization they created in the
New World has been found. Not one inscription. Not one potshard. The
Smithsonian has stated that on paper. And their numbers were described
"as many as the grains of sand on the beach." This is a direct
plagiarism from a Bible verse.

CY: I've heard that old bit about "no trace". It's a crock, plenty of
trace.

http://www.fairlds.org/authors/ash-m...book-of-mormon

Recent DNA studies of 3500 North and
South American Indian tribes shows that only .05% of all the current
Indian tribes in North and South America came from the Middle east, the
area where the founders Laman and Lemuel came from. Most came from the
areas of Siberia and Mongolia. The Mormons had been claiming all
Indians as descendents of the Mormons, until the Indians took exception,
and took them to task legally.

CY: Be curious to see some evidence of this.

They were also baptizing victims of the
Holocaust, and the Jewish faith took that to task. Essentially, it
amounted to changing the faith of a Jew to a Mormon by the baptism of a
young proxy temple worker at a LDS temple behind locked doors. But,
hey, until you're caught, it's okay, right?

CY: You display your ignorance, again. The ordinances are optional to
the deceased. They don't have to convert. Yes, the Jews did object, and
the practice has been discontinued.

Put it this way: A decent honest person would have returned the wallet
just because it was the right thing to do. No rewards expected.
Christian, Hindu, Mormon, Taoist, or Shintu. Right is right, and we
don't get any points for doing what is right. Especially if someone
finds out about it. Anonymous good deeds are the only pure ones.

Deborah Laake - Secret Ceremonies ........ a book of a Mormon woman. An
interesting read, but sometimes it takes three months to get one at a
local library, as Mormons check out the book for a year at a time, and
pay the fine to keep it out of public circulation.

Steve
ex-Mormon
www.exmormon.org Hear it from people who BTDT

CY: hear it from people who lost their faith, and have become
antagonists. Not any chance of objective truth, here.

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 5th 13 09:27 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

THE ARTICLES
OF FAITH.

In the spring of 1842, the Prophet Joseph Smith sent a letter to John
Wentworth, who was editor of a newspaper called the Chicago Democrat.
This letter contained an account of many of the events of early Church
history. The document also contained thirteen statements outlining
Latter-day Saint beliefs. These have come to be known as the Articles of
Faith, which are given below.

The Articles of Faith are official doctrine of the Church and have been
canonized as a part of latter-day scripture. They are clear statements
of belief that help members understand the basic beliefs of the Church
and explain these beliefs to others. They are not, however, a complete
summary of Church doctrine. Through living prophets, the Church is
guided by continuous revelation and inspiration.

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ,
and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for
Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be
saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel
a first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third,
Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of
hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the
laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel
and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive
Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and
so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions,
healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated
correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal,
and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things
pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration
of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the
American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth;
and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the
dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege,
let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and
magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and
in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the
admonition of Paul--We believe all things, we hope all things, we have
endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there
is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek
after these things.

Joseph Smith.

leonard hofstadter November 5th 13 10:34 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

wrote:

discovered a phone book entry labeled "Mom". I called the number, got
voice mail, left my name and number explaining that I had found the
phone.

I can't exactly recall now, but things I have read is to use ECN
(emergency contact number) ?

It had something to do with paramedics, etc.

You can put several numbers under 'ECN'. They can reach your family on
your cell phone.

=============================
I've always heard to use ICE (In Case of Emergency)

willshak November 6th 13 12:05 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

wrote:

That experience completely erased the bad impression of the Hispanic
community I had formed, ...up until that event. Now I realize, if you NEED
help, you'll probably get a shirt off someone's back.

+1

... I grew up in the segregated South. A descendant of slave owners. I
became completely different from that culture.

I only see green.

In 1956 I was living in NY and serving in the Navy. The first time I saw
segregation was when taking the ferry across Hampton Roads to Norfolk.
There was a bathroom labeled Colored.
Never saw that in NY.

Oren[_2_] November 6th 13 01:02 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

wrote:

discovered a phone book entry labeled "Mom". I called the number, got
voice mail, left my name and number explaining that I had found the
phone.

I can't exactly recall now, but things I have read is to use ECN
(emergency contact number) ?

It had something to do with paramedics, etc.

You can put several numbers under 'ECN'. They can reach your family on
your cell phone.

I've always heard to use ICE (In Case of Emergency)

What you said; sounds like what I could not recall.

Use the phone entry as ICE. Thanks.

The Daring Dufas[_8_] November 6th 13 01:46 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

wrote:

That experience completely erased the bad impression of the
Hispanic community I had formed, ...up until that event. Now I
realize, if you NEED help, you'll probably get a shirt off
someone's back.

+1

... I grew up in the segregated South. A descendant of slave owners.
I became completely different from that culture.

I only see green.

I also grew up in the segregated South but my Southern ancestors were
abolitionists. Most people don't know that only 5% of White people in
the South owned slaves, heck, there were free Blacks who owned slaves
some of whom were White but no kid will ever hear that in a history
class inside a government school. Half my relatives are Yankees and the
South freaks them out. Like many non-Southerners, they think there's a
Black man hanging from every other tree and Confederate battle flags
flying from every flagpole and as bumper stickers on the only vehicle
Southerners drive which is a pickup truck with the bed of the truck full
of drunken Rednecks shouting "Yee Haw!" often dressed in white robes on
their way to a cross burning. Of course every White family has Black
servants with a cook named Aunt Jemima. You can't forget the cotton
plantations everywhere with Black folks doing the back breaking work of
picking cotton by hand. We Southerners try to keep Yankees believing the
Hollywood stereotype to keep them away because when they
come down South and see how beautiful the country is and how wonderful
the people actually are, the Yankees won't go home! ^_^

TDD

Wes Groleau November 6th 13 01:57 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11-05-2013, 10:06, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One time when I was working at a factory, a woman
lost her eye glasses. She put out the word, and
we searched the trash barrels, dumpsters, etc. The
factory found four or five pair of Rx eye glasses,
none hers. Not sure if she ever got them back.

Suppose it could have been a "troll" ?

At my high school's "homecoming bonfire" someone suddenly said "Nobody
move! I just dropped my contact!" So all the people in the little
group got down and started hunting. After a little bit, I heard him say
it again--somewhere else. The people near me either weren't paying
attention or couldn't hear as well as I could and they kept on hunting.

I didn't say anything for a while, and he did it several times more,
till there were several small groups in all parts of the field looking
for a contact lens in the dark.

--
Wes Groleau

You always have time for what you do first.

Wes Groleau November 6th 13 02:02 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11-05-2013, 12:44, The Daring Dufas wrote:
I was lucky to find her mom's number on the phone, otherwise it would
have been harder to track her down. It bugs me to find lost property and
not know who to contact. I've had folks return my property before
so I try to return the favor but there are those times when my property
has vanished, never to be seen again. o_O

My son called me from work on a borrowed phone saying he had lost his.
I walked along the route to there, dialing the number frequently and
listening.

After I had gone about a mile, my phone rang and someone said, "Did you
lose a phone?" Person who found it would have kept it but he couldn't
figure out how to operate it, so he gave it to some much nicer people
that lived near him. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

Change is inevitable. We need to learn that €śinevitable" is
neither a synonym for €śgood" nor for €śbad.€ť

Wes Groleau November 6th 13 02:24 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11-05-2013, 13:10, SteveB wrote:
contradicts Mormonism. Well, if you strike chapter and verse that are
directly copied from the Bible to Book of Mormon, you'd have a skeleton
left. And if the Bible is not true, and the Book of Mormon is based on
the bible, then it, too is not true. You can't have it both ways.

The Book of Mormon does include some quotes from the real Bible, but
they are only a small percentage of the whole thing. I find it
interesting that the book of Mormon contradicts some of Joseph Smith's
later writings:

3 Nephi 24:6 €”
"For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not
consumed.

Jacob 2:24 €”
"Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which
thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord."

Compare that to
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132.39?lang=eng#38

Now, did God really give David something that was abominable before Him?

--
Wes Groleau

€śThere ain't nothin' in this world that's worth being a snot over.€ť
€” Larry Wall

Wes Groleau November 6th 13 02:34 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11-05-2013, 13:10, SteveB wrote:
They were also baptizing victims of the Holocaust, and the Jewish faith
took that to task. Essentially, it amounted to changing the faith of a
Jew to a Mormon by the baptism of a young proxy temple worker at a LDS
temple behind locked doors.

No. Mormon doctrine (as explained to me, perhaps incorrectly) says that
in the afterlife, those who weren't Mormons will have "the truth"
explained to them. It will still be THEIR choice to accept it or not.

But if they accept, they still can't get in unless baptized by proxy.
Right or wrong, those proxies are attempting to help those people.

And to the descendanst of those people protesting, I ask, WHY? If the
Mormons are wrong, their well-intentioned actions are at least keeping
them busy doing something other than proselytizing--while having
absolutely no effect on your or your ancestors.

And if they are right, then your protest makes YOU the one deciding to
keep you ancestors from the blessings.

Either way, they are also keeping records that will help any of your
descendants interested in genealogy.

--
Wes Groleau

Don't get even €” get odd!

Dean Hoffman[_13_] November 6th 13 02:36 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

[...]

It's a wonder ya'll don't die from boredom due to lack of seasons.
I understand it when southerners play bumper cars when it snows. What
doesn't make sense is when it people here in Nebraska do it. We have
winter here almost every year.

SteveB[_14_] November 6th 13 04:27 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/4/2013 3:35 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 11/4/2013 3:52 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 11/04/2013 08:33 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
[snip]

And what does this have to do with home repair? Nothing.

Jon

Yes, it sure is off topic. It really
needs to be labelled OT.

You are talking about someone who can't grasp the concept of bottom
posting. Someone who follows a religion that promises each good
participant their own personal planet after death. Well, not the women,
they are one step above a cow. It is doubtful they won't get the
concept of OT.

Steve

SteveB[_14_] November 6th 13 04:39 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 12:35 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"SteveB" wrote in message

And whatever you believe, investigate it thoroughly.

That's an excellent admonition. No offense intended but one of the things
that people might want to check is how the bible came to be (if it pertains
to you). The origin of the book of Mormon could stand some scrutiny too.

With the expansion of new ET evidence, and the across-the-board
similarities of the founding of most religions by "Sky People", even my
beliefs are shaking.

But, basically, I think in all it comes back to a light/dark, good/evil
mentality.

I just know that living among people who believe in something greater
than man or even just greater than the sum total of mankind, is better
than living in a world of people who don't. I know, having tried both.

Steve

SteveB[_14_] November 6th 13 05:18 AM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 2:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

No amount of
good deeds can get you into heaven.

CY: Nope, but good deeds sure can improve things once you get there.
Unlike binary (are you a 100 or a 0?) Christians, Mormons believe that
hard work and keeping the commandments has its reward.

Nope. It's grace based, a free gift, and deeds amount for naught. It's
in that pesky Bible thing. Is there grades of Heaven? Regular heaven?
New Improved heaven? Hilton Heaven? Not in my faith, but in yours.

(This is one of the major different
points between Mormonism and Christianity, where Mormons believe that
their good deeds and temple rituals get them their own planet in the
heavenly universe.) And no modified doctrines or "new" prophecies will
create new rules and/or change the Word of God. Galatians 1:6-9, Rev.
22:18-19. It is interesting that almost the last word of the Bible is a
warning against adding to the Bible or changing it.

CY: Which was put there in about 1,000 AD by King James men. But, it
didn't say that God has finished speaking.

He has until the Second Coming

Many strong
warnings are given against people who want to be false teachers, or just
followers who are easily lead. James 3:1. The Bible is full of
warnings of the coming churches, many passages aimed directly at the LDS
faith.

CY: Says you....

If the shoe fits ..............

In Titus 1:5-9, the requirements for a deacon are spelled out.
It describes a fully grown married man with children. In the LDS faith,
boys are made deacons automatically at age 12.

CY: You don't know much about the Mormon faith, I see?

Well, actually in 14 years I did learn a few things. Why ARE unmarried
childless boys allowed to be deacons in LDS?

[...]

Can you give us something written by say the Smithsonian, or some
museum, and not the LDS church or one of its lackeys? If there were
archaeological evidence, the LDS church would put up a museum the next day.

Recent DNA studies of 3500 North and
South American Indian tribes shows that only .05% of all the current
Indian tribes in North and South America came from the Middle east, the
area where the founders Laman and Lemuel came from. Most came from the
areas of Siberia and Mongolia. The Mormons had been claiming all
Indians as descendents of the Mormons, until the Indians took exception,
and took them to task legally.

CY: Be curious to see some evidence of this.

Google Mormon DNA study. Or Mormon DNA controversy. Or go to

http://www.equip.org/articles/dna-sc...s-lds-history/

One of the professors at BYU participated in the DNA studies, and just
said it posed an uncomfortable position for him. And realize that a lot
of the results are validated by this well known DNA expert.

They were also baptizing victims of the
Holocaust, and the Jewish faith took that to task. Essentially, it
amounted to changing the faith of a Jew to a Mormon by the baptism of a
young proxy temple worker at a LDS temple behind locked doors. But,
hey, until you're caught, it's okay, right?

CY: You display your ignorance, again. The ordinances are optional to
the deceased. They don't have to convert. Yes, the Jews did object, and
the practice has been discontinued.

If they are deceased, how can their wishes be known, and their choice be
optional? In all the secret temples in the world, are young men being
baptized every couple of minutes in the name of deceased people by the
tens of thousands. Even getting to the point of some of the young men
developing medical conditions related to extended immersion of human
skin in water? The roles of these people are so long that it would take
years to even find relatives to give their permission for a small number
of deceased people.

Steve
ex-Mormon
www.exmormon.org Hear it from people who BTDT

CY: hear it from people who lost their faith, and have become
antagonists. Not any chance of objective truth, here.

Many didn't lose their faith. Many went on to other faiths. Many are
still following God. Some are rightfully distrustful of any religions
after going through what they did. Read their stories. Some scary
stuff. I have many memories from my own LDS experiences and my youth
and my observations of life within Mormon households ruled by a human
"God." Horrible beatings. Child molestation of both sexes. Bad stuff.

And whatever you believe, investigate it thoroughly.

Face it. I'm ignorant, and you are brainwashed. But the difference is
that I can change. You, on the other hand, will remain on the lower
level of the Ponzi pyramid scheme called the LDS church, not being given
information that is classified "NEED TO KNOW ONLY" until you climb up
the levels. Most Mormons are like that. Comfortable to enjoy the
lifestyle and culture, yet uninformed of the history or true beliefs of
their own faith, and unable to answer basic questions about it. And
don't ask anything past your pay grade, or you'll be asked to leave.

DAMHIKT.

Roll over. You're done.

Wes Groleau November 6th 13 06:12 AM

Off-Topic - To SteveB

On 11-06-2013, 00:18, SteveB wrote:
On 11/5/2013 2:06 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
CY: Nope, but good deeds sure can improve things once you get there.
Unlike binary (are you a 100 or a 0?) Christians, Mormons believe that
hard work and keeping the commandments has its reward.

Nope. It's grace based, a free gift, and deeds amount for naught. It's

Deeds can't save you. But that's not the same as "amount for naught."

I Cor. 3:13-15

James 2:14-26

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 6th 13 12:02 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

[...]

What scares us more, is all the drunk, gun toting rednecks.
Us northern people are scared silly of guns. They could go
off at any instant, and kill us all. Even if we're standing
on the far side of some where, we're all going to die.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 6th 13 12:04 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 8:57 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-05-2013, 10:06, Stormin Mormon wrote:
One time when I was working at a factory, a woman
lost her eye glasses. She put out the word, and
we searched the trash barrels, dumpsters, etc. The
factory found four or five pair of Rx eye glasses,
none hers. Not sure if she ever got them back.

Suppose it could have been a "troll" ?

At my high school's "homecoming bonfire" someone suddenly said "Nobody
move! I just dropped my contact!" So all the people in the little
group got down and started hunting. After a little bit, I heard him say
it again--somewhere else. The people near me either weren't paying
attention or couldn't hear as well as I could and they kept on hunting.

I didn't say anything for a while, and he did it several times more,
till there were several small groups in all parts of the field looking
for a contact lens in the dark.

I guess it's possible. But, that's not the sense I got
at that moment. It's been a lot of years, but I remember
her being very believable.

I've also known of people to lose a contact lens outdoors,
got asked to borrow my flash light one time for just that.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Stormin Mormon[_10_] November 6th 13 12:11 PM

OT - To Stormin Mormon

On 11/5/2013 9:34 PM, Wes Groleau wrote:
[...]

Wes, that's well written. Pretty much what I'd have
written, if I could write as well. The departed ancestors
still have free choice. If we're right, we're doing them
a favor. If we're wrong, they can just ignore it.

I've been doing temple work for several years. Can't say
as anyone deceased has made his (her) presence known and
said thank you. But, who can tell? Maybe I'll find out
when I go to the Great Beyond, and they can thank me there.
Unless I've managed to baptize 72 Virginians.

--
..
Christopher A. Young