Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

Been lucky I guess. Only a few times I was caught in heavy fog or
rain/snow on the interstate. Seems very few people passed me when I
put on my blinkers and went as slow as about 20 mph. But I could see
maybe 15-30 feet.
Must be terrible to find yourself in zero visibility. Only thing I
can figure with the big Texas pile-up damage is folks went from good
visibility into a wall of fog that was already pile up with crashed
vehicles.
When I hitch-hiked from Norfolk to Chicago in the '60's I picked up a
ride with dead-heading trucker late at night. Mack pulling an empty
flatbed.
Never forget it. Our talking was what kept him from nodding off.
Penn turnpike near Beaver Falls. Fog for about 20 miles, maybe 50 ft
visibility.
He never went below 80. Took a year off my life.
I said goodbye at his first fuel stop, out of the fog. But I wanted
away from him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 15:44:52 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

[...]

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas. I'd rather lose a few hours, than get killed or
my car wrecked. Then again, when the fog is that bad, I avoid getting
on a freeway, or get off the nearest ramp when it begins. Some drivers
have no brains.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The accident may well have begun with someone who pulled to the shoulder
and parked and thus when the next person suddenly found themselves in
dense fog they followed the tail lights directly into that stopped
vehicle. Fog can appear very suddenly and a road that had great
visibility can have a fog bank blow over it from an adjacent area in
seconds. The area in question is reported to be straight and level, a
75mph zone and have some adjacent marsh areas where the fog likely
rolled in from. Exits are miles apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 6:09*pm, wrote:

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas.

No, they won't. The shoulder isn't much safer, nitwits hit cops on
the shoulder with their lights going in clear conditions, day and
night.

"Good driver" choices are limited to getting _way_ away from the road,
and that possibility can be extremely questionable. Fog can be so
thick you can't even see the fog line much less an exit, much less
where you're going without the benefit of the lights of other
motorists (whatever little help they may be on the road, you miss them
when they're gone).

If you get caught out there in extremely limited visibility there are
often no good answers. If you don't know what you're talking about
stop trying to provide them.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:50:08 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Ed do you remember a Cadillac or across the board GM option for an
infrared heads up display for driving in fog? I haven't searched for
it but I'll be darned if I don't remember seeing something like that
shown in one of the Popular Science/Mechanics magazines. I wonder if
anyone else recalls such a thing? O_o

TDD

Yes, I sort of remember something like that, but recall it seeing deer
in the road too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For sure, too easy to get hit from behind.

In Drivers Ed, they told if you had to pull
over in fog, use the four way flashers.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas. I'd rather lose a few hours, than get killed or
my car wrecked. Then again, when the fog is that bad, I avoid getting
on a freeway, or get off the nearest ramp when it begins. Some drivers
have no brains.

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a
target. Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe
place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:28:04 -0600, "Pete C."

wrote:

[...]

Merely speculation, unless you have personally spoken to the person who
was first in the crash. *I'd probably to be the first to intentionally
drive off the road into a corn field if the fog was that bad. *I'd
rather pay for a tow than get into a crash like that. *A marsh.....
well, that's another story!

Getting well off the road, and turning off your lights so other drivers
do not follow your tail lights thinking that's where the road is would
be sensible.

By the way, I think 75mph is TOO fast for any highway, anywhere,
anytime.

Total nonsense, may have been correct in the days of the Model T, but
certainly not for any modern auto.

I also learned when I took drivers ed (about 44 years ago),
that a person should maintain a distance of one car length for every 10
mph of travel,

More nonsense. Following distance needs to account for your reaction
time and the potential delta between your braking distance and that of
the vehicle in front of you. This does not need to take speed into
account since speed affects both your vehicle and the one in front of
you. If you are in a big truck and following a small car you need more
following distance since the vehicle you are following can stop in a
shorter distance than you can. Conversely if you are in a small car
following a large truck you need less following distance since you can
stop in a shorter distance than the vehicle you are following.

The drivers aren't thinking simultaneously.. It is a cascade effect.
The first driver has finished his thinking process before the second
one starts his.
So you are the one talking crap.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 3:38*pm, George wrote:
On 11/24/2012 12:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 20:43:37 -0600, wrote:

By the way, I think 75mph is TOO fast for any highway, anywhere,
anytime.

I drive that speed every day, sometimes more if the conditions are
right. *Speed has to be adjusted to fit the conditions.

Me too. 75 is no issue for modern cars.

The design of the car is neither here nor there In the event of
accident,you have ten times the likelyhood of being dead at 75 rather
then 35 mph.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 8:12*am, harry wrote:
On Nov 24, 3:38*pm, George wrote:

On 11/24/2012 12:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 20:43:37 -0600, wrote:

By the way, I think 75mph is TOO fast for any highway, anywhere,
anytime.

I drive that speed every day, sometimes more if the conditions are
right. *Speed has to be adjusted to fit the conditions.

Me too. 75 is no issue for modern cars.

The design of the car is neither here nor there * In the event of
accident,you have ten times the likelyhood of being dead at 75 rather
then 35 mph.

Have any statistics to back that up?

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 23, 8:58*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:08:22 -0600, wrote:

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas. *I'd rather lose a few hours, than get killed or
my car wrecked. *Then again, when the fog is that bad, I avoid getting
on a freeway, or get off the nearest ramp when it begins. *Some drivers
have no brains.

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a
target. *Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe
place.

Smart drivers, if the conditions permit, will be off, way off, on the
berms and not wait for an exit.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 7:38*am, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:08:22 -0600, wrote:

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas. *I'd rather lose a few hours, than get killed or
my car wrecked. *Then again, when the fog is that bad, I avoid getting
on a freeway, or get off the nearest ramp when it begins. *Some drivers
have no brains.

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a
target. *Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe
place.

And if you are in a place that is far from the next exit, get as far off
the road as possible, turn off your lights so other vehicles don't
follow your tail lights thinking that's where the road is, and get out
of your vehicle and further away, preferably beyond guardrails or other
barriers.

Yes!!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

In driver ed, we learned to put the four way flashers on.

Love the "drunk magnet" descriptor.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

I think turning off the stationary vehicle's lights would
significantly decrease the chances of a collision.

I once heard an Atlantic City Expressway police rep characterize
a car parked on the shoulder at night with lights on as a "Drunk
Magnet".
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had twice when I'd been crawling up hill,
in snow and ice. Someone comes flying past me,
and I say "must be safe to go faster". I push
the gas a little harder, and spin out.

Drive exceeds traction. Oops.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

Problems I've had were on long gradual ascents.

At some point in the increasing grade, the load on the drive
tires exceeds their traction and they start to spin.

Not a big deal once you figure out what's going on, but the first
time the vehicle starts slewing side-to-side for no apparent
reason, there's a "WTF?" moment.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

In driver ed, we learned to put the four way flashers on.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks put the flashers on when they drop below
the normal minimum speed. In some states the law says you have to have
flashers on below 40mph on the highways. Getting as far off the road as
possible and turning off the lights is the best option really. And don't
stay in the vehicle either, get over the guardrail or barrier and
further away.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11-24-2012 10:38, Pete C. wrote:
And if you are in a place that is far from the next exit, get as far off
the road as possible, turn off your lights so other vehicles don't
follow your tail lights thinking that's where the road is, and get out
of your vehicle and further away, preferably beyond guardrails or other
barriers.

OK for fog; not OK for blizzard.

--
Wes Groleau

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible
will make violent revolution inevitable.
€” John F. Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
In driver ed, we learned to put the four way flashers on.

Love the "drunk magnet" descriptor.

The guy from the ACX specifically identified flashers as a
problem.

Having read this thread, I'm with Pete C: Don't just get as far
off the road as possible and turn the lights off; but exit the
vehicle and get even further away. My choice in getting further
away if I had a choice would be upstream from my vehicle as well
as further laterally.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

There is virtually never any fog on the highway designated for 85mph speed
limit. Truth be told, there is seldom any moisture on that stretch of road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:57:44 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

On Nov 23, 8:58Â*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:08:22 -0600, wrote:

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas. Â*I'd rather lose a few hours, than get killed or
my car wrecked. Â*Then again, when the fog is that bad, I avoid getting
on a freeway, or get off the nearest ramp when it begins. Â*Some drivers
have no brains.

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a
target. Â*Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe
place.

Smart drivers, if the conditions permit, will be off, way off, on the
berms and not wait for an exit.

Harry K

Pretty hard to get past the Jersey Barriers or the Armco on a lot of
highways.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:13:51 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've had twice when I'd been crawling up hill,
in snow and ice. Someone comes flying past me,
and I say "must be safe to go faster". I push
the gas a little harder, and spin out.

Drive exceeds traction. Oops.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

And a few moments later you find the "hot dog" backwards in the
ditch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:13:11 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

In driver ed, we learned to put the four way flashers on.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks put the flashers on when they drop below
the normal minimum speed. In some states the law says you have to have
flashers on below 40mph on the highways. Getting as far off the road as
possible and turning off the lights is the best option really. And don't
stay in the vehicle either, get over the guardrail or barrier and
further away.

That works with fog - but what do you do in a BLIZZARD. At below zero
F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wish it were the speeder in the ditch.

Both times I'm thinking about, I made the mistake
of trying to drive a "little" faster, and I was the one
who landed, backwards, on the guard rail.

Though, I have seen plenty of people in the ditch
as I crawled by at a safe speed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

I've had twice when I'd been crawling up hill,
in snow and ice. Someone comes flying past me,
and I say "must be safe to go faster". I push
the gas a little harder, and spin out.

Drive exceeds traction. Oops.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

And a few moments later you find the "hot dog" backwards in the
ditch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been trapped in white outs, that's no fun.
I try to keep rolling, carefully. Low beams.
Four way flashers if going slowly.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Getting as far off the road as
possible and turning off the lights is the

best option really. And don't
stay in the vehicle either, get over the

guardrail or barrier and
further away.

That works with fog - but what do you do
in a BLIZZARD. At below zero
F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Stormin Mormon:
Both times I'm thinking about, I made the mistake
of trying to drive a "little" faster, and I was the one
who landed, backwards, on the guard rail.

In my case, what momentarily confused me was that I was not
trying to drive faster. In fact, I was paying close attention to
not varying the power at all (to avoid loosing traction).

What got me was that the road's grade had increased very slightly
and I was apparently close to the edge of adhesion to begin with.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 2:13*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Getting as far off the road as
possible and turning off the lights is the best option really. And don't
stay in the vehicle either, get over the guardrail or barrier and
further away.

If you're as far off the road as possible you'd be beyond guardrails
and barriers. If there's a guardrail/barrier limiting getting off the
road, you don't want to stop there.

If you can get well off the road you want to stay in the vehicle for
it's protection.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'm familiar with that highway since I lived in Beaumont once. Some
people who live there drive crazy like driving 70 mph in blinding fog
when they can't even see in front of their car/truck. I saw this when
I lived there unfortunately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Nov 23, 8:58*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 17:08:22 -0600, wrote:

A good driver will pull on the shoulder and park when the fog gets as
bad as it did in Texas. *I'd rather lose a few hours, than get killed or
my car wrecked. *Then again, when the fog is that bad, I avoid getting
on a freeway, or get off the nearest ramp when it begins. *Some drivers
have no brains.

Only stupid drivers would park on the side of the road and become a
target. *Smart drivers will take the exit ramp and get to a safe
place.

Smart drivers, if the conditions permit, will be off, way off, on the
berms and not wait for an exit.

Harry K

Assuming there are berms. In many places, there is but a normal width
shoulder, a very dangerous place to stop in good weather, let alone in
fog. If no place to hide, I'm getting off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with ... snow?

On 11-24-2012 21:54, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
In my case, what momentarily confused me was that I was not
trying to drive faster. In fact, I was paying close attention to
not varying the power at all (to avoid loosing traction).

If you have room, i.e., not a lot of traffic, front-wheel drive and
cruise control is great.

If the drive wheels begin to slip, CC keeps them going at a speed
consistent with the car's speed, so that as soon as the road gets a
little less slippery, they grip again.

But fog and traction aren't related.

--
Wes Groleau

You're all individuals!
Yes, we're all individuals!
You're all different!
Yes, we are all different!
I'm not!
("Life of Brian")

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 01:58:53 -0500, Wes Groleau
wrote:

On 11-24-2012 21:54, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
In my case, what momentarily confused me was that I was not
trying to drive faster. In fact, I was paying close attention to
not varying the power at all (to avoid loosing traction).

If you have room, i.e., not a lot of traffic, front-wheel drive and
cruise control is great.

If the drive wheels begin to slip, CC keeps them going at a speed
consistent with the car's speed, so that as soon as the road gets a
little less slippery, they grip again.

But fog and traction aren't related.

Maybe on older cars, but not on new ones with traction control or
Electronic Stability Control. As soon as the computer senses a slip
of a wheel, it cuts of the CC.

Besides, CC keeps the wheel going at a speed consistent with what the
care "should" be traveling at so if it slows down due to slippage it
is going to provide more power so it slips even more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 24, 10:58*pm, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-24-2012 21:54, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

In my case, what momentarily confused me was that I was not
trying to drive faster. *In fact, I was paying close attention to
not varying the power at all (to avoid loosing traction).

If you have room, i.e., not a lot of traffic, front-wheel drive and
cruise control is great.

If the drive wheels begin to slip, CC keeps them going at a speed
consistent with the car's speed, so that as soon as the road gets a
little less slippery, they grip again.

But fog and traction aren't related.

--
Wes Groleau

* * You're all individuals!
* * * * * *Yes, we're all individuals!
* * You're all different!
* * * * * *Yes, we are all different!
* * * * * * * * * * * ("Life of Brian")

Wrong: CC will maintain the same engine RPM needed to maintain a
certain speed
Set it for 60, hit a spot where it looses traction and those drive
wheels will still be doing 60mph until traction is resumed.

Running CC in bad conditions is NOT recommended.

Harry K