Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

Hello,

My central a/c system will not turn on and I really don't want to
spend the $$$ to get someone out to fix it if it is no big repair.
Anyway, here's what happens...

Turn the a/c on by lowering the temperature inside on the thermostat
on the wall in the hallway. The central fan blows, but nothing cold
comes out. Actually the air is pretty hot! The outside unit is not
making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan
on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it
work and noticed the fan. Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could
give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We
came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no
good reason.

Thanks!

Crista

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac"
which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions about
air conditionaing problems like yours.

I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that newsgroup
will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very quickly.

I'm heading over that way right now to see how they diagnose it.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 2, 5:35 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
wrote:

Yes, I am hot, but at least I am laughing now! Thanks!!

.....The outside unit is not
making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan
on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it
work and noticed the fan. Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could
give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We
came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no
good reason.

Why that damned, uppity hunk o' metal!!!! I would proceed with continued
kicking until it decides to give you a good reason. Try using steel-toed
boots this time. It would be even better if you had someone with more
powerful leg muscles do the kicking.
--
Davewww.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:59:58 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

[...]

HTH,

Jeff

You are one mean cruel M/F.

You know the jerks over there will slaughter his ass and leave him
with a tick and morphine habit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote in message ...

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac"
which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions

about
air conditionaing problems like yours.

I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that

newsgroup
will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very

quickly

Uh huh. The key word there is "try." :-)

Cheri

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

ValveJob wrote:

[...]

Uh, the OP's name ends in an "a", so your comment is probably not gender
correct....

And anyone brave (or silly) enough to admit to the world that they tried
kicking the compressor unit deserves whatever responses she/he gets.G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:35:21 -0700, "Dave Bugg"

.....The outside unit is not
making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan
on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it
work and noticed the fan. Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could
give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We
came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no
good reason.

Why that damned, uppity hunk o' metal!!!! I would proceed with continued
kicking until it decides to give you a good reason.

Rather than offer a good reason, it will probably just argue
compressor privelege.

Try using steel-toed
boots this time. It would be even better if you had someone with more
powerful leg muscles do the kicking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

turn off the power to it for 10 minutes and retry it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The outdoor fan may run on 110V even though the compressor unquestionably
runs on 220V. Therefore, a blown fuse, bad contactor, or loose connection on
one of the "hot" feeds to the outdoor unit could possibly explain this set
of symptoms.

Smarty

"CJT" wrote in message

Hello,

My central a/c system will not turn on and I really don't want to
spend the $$$ to get someone out to fix it if it is no big repair.
Anyway, here's what happens...

Turn the a/c on by lowering the temperature inside on the thermostat
on the wall in the hallway. The central fan blows, but nothing cold
comes out. Actually the air is pretty hot! The outside unit is not
making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan
on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it
work and noticed the fan. Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could
give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We
came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no
good reason.

Thanks!

Crista

If the outside fan is running but not the compressor, then it's
likely the compressor motor itself or its protective circuit. If it
were the contactor (i.e. the cheap repair) I don't think the outside
fan would be running, because they're normally on the same circuit.

I would try shutting it completely off (preferably at the breaker box)
and letting it cool for a couple of hours, then trying to start it
again.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Smarty wrote:

The outdoor fan may run on 110V even though the compressor unquestionably
runs on 220V. Therefore, a blown fuse, bad contactor, or loose connection on
one of the "hot" feeds to the outdoor unit could possibly explain this set
of symptoms.

Smarty

That's possible, too -- I hadn't thought of it. So thanks for pointing
it out.

I think the bottom line is it's awfully hard to diagnose these things
long distance, especially given the variety of equipment in the field --
the OP is going to need to get somebody with some familiarity with the
basics and a multimeter on the scene to check it out.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote in message ...

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac"
which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions

about
air conditionaing problems like yours.

I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that

newsgroup
will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very

quickly

Uh huh. The key word there is "try." :-)

Kinda hard when they don't answer the pro's questions...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ValveJob" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, a couple tried to help, but then she got her panties in a bunch!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smarty" wrote in message
The outdoor fan may run on 110V even though the compressor unquestionably
runs on 220V. Therefore, a blown fuse, bad contactor, or loose connection

on
one of the "hot" feeds to the outdoor unit could possibly explain this set
of symptoms.

Smarty

I see your not very 'smarty' when it comes to residential air conditioning
systems.

120 volt fan motor... yeah, ok, whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
turn off the power to it for 10 minutes and retry it.

10 minutes... ???

What's that going to do? Give it time for a smoke break?

As she said at alt.hvac

that'd be unecessary :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:25:20 -0000, wrote:

Hello,

As I understand it, the folks at alt.hvac are always tough, but you
still should learn to phrase questions according to the audience.

My central a/c system will not turn on and I really don't want to
spend the $$$ to get someone out to fix it if it is no big repair.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on the root question, but I
know that pros don't think that they, or that many other pros,
overcharge for small repairs. Therefore, using 3 $$$ signs is
insulting to them.

Anyway, here's what happens...

Turn the a/c on by lowering the temperature inside on the thermostat
on the wall in the hallway. The central fan blows, but nothing cold
comes out. Actually the air is pretty hot! The outside unit is not

A lot of usenet people dislike stories. They want the question up
front with any details afterward, and they especially get bored if you
first say nothing cold and then change it to pretty hot. Maybe
they're insulted because the person writing didn't bother to reread
and edit her post for conciseness before posting.

making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan
on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it
work and noticed the fan.

Even here this bothered people, and I, who sort of thought it was
meant as a joke, didn't get the feeling that it was meant as a joke,
and even I was somewhat annoyed. Pros have this thing about them, in
whatever area they are pros in, that they take things more seriously
than amateurs. I thought you would take that out before you posted in
hvac. But you posted the very same post.

Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could
give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We
came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no
good reason.

"no good reason" is like kicking the ac in that it's not serious but
doesn't reach the level of funny.

You have to get to know your audience.

Thanks!

Crista

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a
defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a
moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the
average homeowner.

---
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize that the
compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run without the
other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, in actual fact, my rental units ***DID HAVE A 120 VOLT FAN" which was
switched with the contactor on one pole only, leaving the other pole to
handle the 220V feed to the compressor. I actually had a failure of exactly
the type described by the original poster, and this failure was the
corrosion / rusting of the contactor terminal on the compressor feed side /
pole. The fan continued to run but the compressor did not. The unit was a
Weatherking made by Addison Products. I imagine that the 220 volt fan motors
are much more common since that is what I have seen in my servicing Lenox
and Carrier units.

My point in posting originally was that the compressor was not necessarily
at fault, and jumping to the conclusion that it is at fault is a poor way to
diagnose the problem. As someone else here as suggested, a good VOM /
multimeter and knowledge should be the way to troubleshoot.

Smarty

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
The outdoor fan may run on 110V even though the compressor unquestionably
runs on 220V. Therefore, a blown fuse, bad contactor, or loose connection

on
one of the "hot" feeds to the outdoor unit could possibly explain this
set
of symptoms.

Smarty

I see your not very 'smarty' when it comes to residential air conditioning
systems.

120 volt fan motor... yeah, ok, whatever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a
defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a
moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the
average homeowner.

---
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize that the
compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run without

the
other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

Posted to alt.home.repair

/
pole. The fan continued to run but the compressor did not. The unit was a
Weatherking made by Addison Products.

Have a model number?

My point in posting originally was that the compressor was not necessarily
at fault, and jumping to the conclusion that it is at fault is a poor way

diagnose the problem. As someone else here as suggested, a good VOM /
multimeter and knowledge should be the way to troubleshoot.

Smarty

I liked the 'kicking' diagnosis. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize
that the compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can
run without the other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

But not the same contacts. The compressor draws considerably more current
and the contacts regulating the compressor are much more prone to burning
and pitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize
that the compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can
run without the other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

But not the same contacts. The compressor draws considerably more current
and the contacts regulating the compressor are much more prone to burning
and pitting.

That would depend greatly upon the mfr and model.
Often, the combined amp load of both is low enough
that a single set of contacts (2P) is adequate to carry
fan and compressor.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize
that the compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can
run without the other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

But not the same contacts. The compressor draws considerably more current
and the contacts regulating the compressor are much more prone to burning
and pitting.

We're talking a small residential system here... they're on the same
contactor!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 08:04:01 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a
defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a
moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the
average homeowner.

---
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize that the
compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run without the
other.

They are seperate devices but in 99% of residential units they both
run off of the same contactor. so what kjpro says is probably correct.
there are exceptions and without being there a diagnosis is
impossible.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote in message ...

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac"
which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions

about

air conditionaing problems like yours.

I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that

newsgroup

will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very

quickly

Uh huh. The key word there is "try." :-)

Kinda hard when they don't answer the pro's questions...

There are no real pros over there. Just losers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a
defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a
moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the
average homeowner.

---
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize that the
compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run without

the

other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

.... but don't necessarily use both halves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message

Doug Miller wrote in message ...

Try posting your inquiry in its entirety on the newsgroup "alt.hvac"
which is a more suitable group for in depth technical questions

about

air conditionaing problems like yours.

I'm almost certain that the professional HVAC folks on that

newsgroup

will be able to diagnose your problem and give you answers very

quickly

Uh huh. The key word there is "try." :-)

Kinda hard when they don't answer the pro's questions...

There are no real pros over there. Just losers.

Either you're a dumb ass, or you can't hang with the BIG DOGS.

Which is it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a
defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a
moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope of the
average homeowner.

---
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize that

the
compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run without

the

other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

... but don't necessarily use both halves.

They're both 240 volt products... both halves are needed for operation!

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's probably, but not necessarily true.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

[...]

Why isn't it?

Just how many air conditioners do you service on a daily basis?