Posted to alt.home.repair

Default My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

"Smarty" wrote in message
Well, in actual fact, my rental units ***DID HAVE A 120 VOLT FAN" which

was
switched with the contactor on one pole only, leaving the other pole to
handle the 220V feed to the compressor. I actually had a failure of

exactly
the type described by the original poster, and this failure was the
corrosion / rusting of the contactor terminal on the compressor feed side

/
pole. The fan continued to run but the compressor did not. The unit was a
Weatherking made by Addison Products.

Have a model number?

My point in posting originally was that the compressor was not necessarily
at fault, and jumping to the conclusion that it is at fault is a poor way

diagnose the problem. As someone else here as suggested, a good VOM /
multimeter and knowledge should be the way to troubleshoot.

Smarty

I liked the 'kicking' diagnosis. :-)