Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:25:20 -0000, wrote:

Hello,

As I understand it, the folks at alt.hvac are always tough, but you
still should learn to phrase questions according to the audience.

My central a/c system will not turn on and I really don't want to
spend the $$$ to get someone out to fix it if it is no big repair.

I don't know enough to have an opinion on the root question, but I
know that pros don't think that they, or that many other pros,
overcharge for small repairs. Therefore, using 3 $$$ signs is
insulting to them.

Anyway, here's what happens...

Turn the a/c on by lowering the temperature inside on the thermostat
on the wall in the hallway. The central fan blows, but nothing cold
comes out. Actually the air is pretty hot! The outside unit is not

A lot of usenet people dislike stories. They want the question up
front with any details afterward, and they especially get bored if you
first say nothing cold and then change it to pretty hot. Maybe
they're insulted because the person writing didn't bother to reread
and edit her post for conciseness before posting.

making the usual noise that we hear when it runs normally, but the fan
on the top is running....I went out to see if kicking it would make it
work and noticed the fan.

Even here this bothered people, and I, who sort of thought it was
meant as a joke, didn't get the feeling that it was meant as a joke,
and even I was somewhat annoyed. Pros have this thing about them, in
whatever area they are pros in, that they take things more seriously
than amateurs. I thought you would take that out before you posted in
hvac. But you posted the very same post.

Anyway, if someone more knowledgable could
give me an idea of ehat is going on, I would really appreciate it. We
came back last night from vacation to find our a/c out and with no
good reason.

"no good reason" is like kicking the ac in that it's not serious but
doesn't reach the level of funny.

You have to get to know your audience.

Thanks!

Crista