Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

Well, in actual fact, my rental units ***DID HAVE A 120 VOLT FAN" which was
switched with the contactor on one pole only, leaving the other pole to
handle the 220V feed to the compressor. I actually had a failure of exactly
the type described by the original poster, and this failure was the
corrosion / rusting of the contactor terminal on the compressor feed side /
pole. The fan continued to run but the compressor did not. The unit was a
Weatherking made by Addison Products. I imagine that the 220 volt fan motors
are much more common since that is what I have seen in my servicing Lenox
and Carrier units.

My point in posting originally was that the compressor was not necessarily
at fault, and jumping to the conclusion that it is at fault is a poor way to
diagnose the problem. As someone else here as suggested, a good VOM /
multimeter and knowledge should be the way to troubleshoot.

Smarty

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

"Smarty" wrote in message
The outdoor fan may run on 110V even though the compressor unquestionably
runs on 220V. Therefore, a blown fuse, bad contactor, or loose connection

on
one of the "hot" feeds to the outdoor unit could possibly explain this
set
of symptoms.

Smarty

I see your not very 'smarty' when it comes to residential air conditioning
systems.

120 volt fan motor... yeah, ok, whatever.