Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Texas 85 mph - Don't work well with fog

Been lucky I guess. Only a few times I was caught in heavy fog or
rain/snow on the interstate. Seems very few people passed me when I
put on my blinkers and went as slow as about 20 mph. But I could see
maybe 15-30 feet.
Must be terrible to find yourself in zero visibility. Only thing I
can figure with the big Texas pile-up damage is folks went from good
visibility into a wall of fog that was already pile up with crashed
vehicles.
When I hitch-hiked from Norfolk to Chicago in the '60's I picked up a
ride with dead-heading trucker late at night. Mack pulling an empty
flatbed.
Never forget it. Our talking was what kept him from nodding off.
Penn turnpike near Beaver Falls. Fog for about 20 miles, maybe 50 ft
visibility.
He never went below 80. Took a year off my life.
I said goodbye at his first fuel stop, out of the fog. But I wanted
away from him.