Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

wrote in message news:4a0f30a5-a16a-4d74-8a9d-

stuff snipped

I don't know how they whip Walmart employees into feeling good and
acting positively for such a low-paying job. Maybe they're just
selective about who they hire, and Kmart simply can't find anyone to
work for them, so they hire anyone who can stagger through the front
door.

I noticed the same thing too, and always ask the employees why. One guy, a
WWII vet working the door (and security!) gave me one good reason: Wal-mart
was the only place that would hire someone in the their '70's. He came to
work not for the money, but because he enjoyed having something to do and
interacting with the workers his age. If you look around, you'll see it's
true - not many companies hire older workers.

Another reason for Wal-mart's success is their incredible logistics. They
basically don't "own" the inventory on much of their shelves - it belongs to
the vendor who gets it back if it doesn't sell. That vastly reduces their
inventory holding costs and their risk if the product turns out to be a dog.
They involve themselves in every step of the supply chain and are constantly
exerting pressure on vendors to do things more efficiently. As I am sure
some posters will note, sometimes a little *too* efficiently so that the
items don't hold up.

When I went to buy replacement batteries for my Firestorm drill, it turned
out that buying a Wal-mart kit that contained two new drills each with a
spare battery (four, total) cost less than two replacement batteries from
the manufacturer, B&D.

When I used to take my handicapped Dad shopping, the Target near me had only
two rather ratty electric shopping scooters and they demanded he leave his
driver's license at the courtesy desk to use one. Loads of extra hassle (to
deposit and retrieve the license 100's of feet from the door we came in) and
risk. While poor naive Dad was quite willing to leave his license with a
total stranger who apparently just threw it in box on the customer desk, I
said no - we'll leave a $5 deposit if you sign a receipt but leaving Dad's
license was out of the question. Wal-mart, on the other hand, has plenty of
scooters that require no license or deposit - we've never had to wait for
one, and unlike Target someone makes sure they are plugged in and recharged
after every use. We spent close to $500 on each trip so Target's practicing
some pretty false economy.

Also, unlike, say Home Depot, if you look like you're having trouble,
employees don't avert their gaze and run in the other direction. My guess
is that they do a lot of "honesty shopping" - sending in Wal-mart agent
unknown to the employees to test clerks for helpfulness and the ability to
direct a customer to the correct product or area.

On the flip side, I came across an article on the net about Wal-mart using
the urine test given to all prospective employees to also check for
pregnancy so they wouldn't hire anyone likely to be drawing health insurance
and maternity benefits soon after hiring. Not sure of the veracity of that
claim, though.

Plenty of people hate Wal-mart with a passion because it's got a bad rap
with liberals. g I remember getting my most liberal friend to finally go
into one of the bigger stores they have in the US in Laurel, MD. Her cart
was full within an hour and all she could say is "you can get *everything*
you need in one trip!" The store, recently remodeled, is SO big that even
the employees don't know where everything is and have to consult a store map
to direct customers.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/28/2011 8:45 PM, Pete C. wrote:

This is true, so if you like an item you go back and buy a few more the
next day so you get them from the same lot.

That only works if one is somewhere that has storefront access...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:45:24 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

dpb wrote:

On 12/28/2011 2:54 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 12/28/2011 12:32 PM, Pete C. wrote:

George Plimpton wrote:

I went into a HF once. It was next door to a skateboard shop my son
wanted to check out. I had long heard people rave about HF, so I went
in to see. I was not impressed. Most of the merchandise seemed like
cheap Asian junk, ... was a good few years
ago, so maybe they've improved their merchandise lines since then.

Not really, no...

There is no shortage of crap at HF, but there are some real gems as
well. The hydraulic crimper and the hydraulic KO punch sets are two
examples that work very well and are 1/10 the cost of any competitive
units.

That might well be. In general, it seems that people who actually work
with tools for a living, or as a major hobby, seem to know how to get
good deals at HF. I'm not at that level.

The biggest complaint I've had is that there's absolutely no expectation
that a particular tool/device that is good one time will be the same the
next...

This is true, so if you like an item you go back and buy a few more the
next day so you get them from the same lot.

Same with plums.
Bought about 6 plums at a fruit store.
Most delicious plums I ever had.
So 2 days later I bought an entire case at the same place.
Different lot. They sucked big time and I tossed nearly all of them.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:01:31 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

K-Mart did not allow Salvation Army kettle volunteers outside their stores.
Walmart not only allowed Salvation Army solicitations, but tasked their
employees to ring the bell if not enough SA folks were available.

People notice things like that.

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to
operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone
who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Did you avoid airports that allowed Hare Krishna followers?

...just askin...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

dpb wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:45 PM, Pete C. wrote:

This is true, so if you like an item you go back and buy a few more the
next day so you get them from the same lot.

That only works if one is somewhere that has storefront access...

--

In person shopping is definitely an advantage at HF.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 19:14:40 -0500, Doug Miller
wrote:

On 12/28/2011 6:17 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 13:27:53 -0500, Doug Miller
wrote:

On 12/28/2011 12:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing.

Then you've gotten damn lucky with the HF tools. IME, they're garbage.

I had to return this set of snap ring pliers
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...s-set-610.html
because the points on the jaws bent, the first time I used them, to the
point that a snap ring wouldn't stay on them.

These punches
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-93111.html
mushroomed and bent on first use under gentle tapping.

and so on. Crap like that just doesn't happen with Craftsman tools.

When you buy HF tools..dont always buy the cheapest tools they have on
the shelves.

I didn't. That set of snap ring pliers, for instance, was actually the
most expensive one they had in stock.

They have a line of Crap tools..and a line of actually
decent tools.

No, they don't. They have a line of crap tools ... and a line of crap tools.

Your opinion is noted.

The crap tools are dirt cheap..and worth less than what
you paid for them.

Well, you did get that part right, anyway...

Gunner Asch
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:28:59 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Please define "cult" for me.

Hare Krishna?

Or followers of the Comet Hale–Bopp?

"...in March 1997, the cult Heaven's Gate committed mass suicide with
the intention of teleporting to a spaceship they believed was
following the comet..."

I saw the comet as my wife drove across the Sierra Mountains west of
Reno, but never converted.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
in.local...
In article ,
says...

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I
hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with
their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The
new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

Craftsman sockets and especially especially the deep ones are quite
easily
broken given even rather light usage these days...

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my 1980
Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I wasn't
using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

I have a coffee can about 1/2 full of them because it really doesn't make
much sense to get a replacement that in all likelyhood is just going to
crack and break like it's predecessor, and this has been a problem ever
since Danaher took over and then promptly offshored much the line....

Every Craftsman hand tool I have is stamped "Made in USA", so if Danaher
has "offshored much of the line" they've done it in the past year.
Sears has other lins that are not Craftsman that are made offshore, but
Craftsman hand tools aren't.

[

Suit Hits Sears Made In USA Claim
12/08/2004 | ConsumerAffairs.com

A class action lawsuit against Sears, Roebuck and Co alleges that Sears
conducted false advertising and consumer fraud by advertising that its
Craftsman tool line is "Made in the USA."

The suit alleges that promotions in ads, the website, on signs and labels
claiming that Craftsman is "Made in the USA" led consumers to purchase the
tools out of a sense of patriotism. Consumers were also led to believe that
Craftsman is of high quality because it is "Made in the USA."

Pictures attached to the complaint show metal parts from Austria, Denmark,
China, India and Mexico on Craftsman tools labeled as "Made in the USA."

"Sears has falsely touted Craftsman tools as 'Made in the USA' when the
Federal Trade Commission has issued guidelines stating that such a claim is
proper only where all or substantially all of the product is U.S.A. made.
Sears Craftsman is misleading consumers by invoking that claim," said
Barbara J. Hart, attorney for the tool buyers.

]

--in retrospect, this was a very stupid move for Sears' part.....Danaher
already owned several quite successful competing lines (arguably, Danaher
did and *still does* own *most* of the viable competition) and so any
decline in Craftsman tool sales / quality ultimately means increased
volume
for Danaher's wholly owned lineup.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

Please define "cult" for me.

Oren, the definition of cult can vary greatly. I find the characteristics
of a cult to be more definitive of the whole thing.

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

http://www.prem-rawat-talk.org/forum...cteristics.htm

http://www.letusreason.org/culteac.htm

One may say that a lot of mainstream religions exhibit some of the
characteristics of the cults, however true cults require absolute devotion,
and most religions teach that man has a choice.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2011 7:36 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

"Pete wrote in message
.com...

"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I
hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

[...]

The hand tools marked Sears are the overseas manufactured tools, I
noticed that years ago when I saw them in the stores and they looked
identical to the discount store imported tools.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2011 9:44 PM, Pete C. wrote:

dpb wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:45 PM, Pete C. wrote:

This is true, so if you like an item you go back and buy a few more the
next day so you get them from the same lot.

That only works if one is somewhere that has storefront access...

--

In person shopping is definitely an advantage at HF.

Heck, Harbor Freight is a toy store for grown men. I've bought good and
bad stuff there but mostly usable items. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2011 8:45 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:08:33 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry you got a bad Crapsman. I've had plenty of bad tools from HF,
including some Pittsburgh flare wrenches that didn't turn flare fittings.
Too loose, they slipped. Your reversible, you maybe could have filed the
burr down? I also had a full pack of AA batteries (alkalines) from HF leak
in the box. My HF electric plug in impact wrench, the switch is flaky, it
loosens but doesn't tighten.

I bought a plastic pack of those about two years ago, and have nine
left. I use them in wireless mice that are on 16 hours a day.

What mice? I've been using Logitech wireless since they first came
out. Not anything fancy, just typical 3-button. Laser now.
Light is always on.
Always wish they had an on/off switch to save the batteries.
Using rechargeable, but it's a hassle changing batteries out pretty
often, maybe every 10 days or so.

--Vic

I have some wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard sets and the keyboard
batteries last much longer. I want a wireless mouse with a recharging
dock, it would make more sense. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2011 8:55 PM, Robert Green wrote:
[...]

I do a lot of telecom and computer network repairs in Walmart and Sam's
Club stores and they do keep track of everything in real time all the
way back to headquarters. It's a lot of fun riding an electric scissors
lift around in the stores pulling network cable or getting to one of the
several network cabinets up on the walls or poles around the stores.
The next time you're in one of the stores, look for a beige or white
steel box about the size of a big microwave oven up on several of the
support poles in the center areas of the store. Those boxes contain one
or more 19" rack mounted network switches and patch panels. There is all
kinds of network gear in those stores including a lot of WiFi stuff.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please define "cult" for me.

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too
small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.

having been an ASE certified master auto/heavy truck technician for over
30 years, i can ASSURE you the only advantage to the snap on / mac tools
is the fact that the man walks right up to you every week without fail
and asks 'what do you need?'. I still, after all these years have
mostly craftsman tools, but when you need something craftsman doesn't
have or tools you just happen to like the feel for better, (i'm thinking
about my flex head bent handled 3/8" drive ratchet that is over a
hundred dollars from snap on) there is the snap on man on Thursdays
about 1 PM. Not to mention they will finance (usually) without any
credit hassles or checks. A lot of the drivers just carry the revolving
accounts themselves.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:38:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please define "cult" for me.

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too
small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD

A country boy that culled potatoes, may say with his regional accent:
"I cult fiddy bags of taters today"?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-28, Jim Yanik wrote:

[ ... ]

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

[ ... ]

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams.
that's why their quality has changed.

Back in the early 1970s, the micrometers came from
Scherr-Tumico, and the runout indicator was a Starrett "Last Word"
(probably the worst instrument from Starrett at that time.) Not really
sure who made their combination squares, but they were pretty good.
Lathes at that time were from Atlas, both the 6" and the 12".

No idea who made the ratchet wrenches and sockets, but they were
pretty good back then.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please define "cult" for me.

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too
small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD

A country boy that culled potatoes, may say with his regional accent:
"I cult fiddy bags of taters today"?

He's probably one of my kin. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking a sentence which might be like "A cult is a group which has
the following characteristics...."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

Please define "cult" for me.

Hare Krishna?

Or followers of the Comet Hale-Bopp?

"...in March 1997, the cult Heaven's Gate committed mass suicide with
the intention of teleporting to a spaceship they believed was
following the comet..."

I saw the comet as my wife drove across the Sierra Mountains west of
Reno, but never converted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears, (now: Is Salvation Army a cult?)

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_...is_like_a_cult
Answer:

The Salvation Army though a Christian denomination (not a cult) does appear
to some as one due, to the military titles and military structure it holds
to.
This is culturally taboo recently considering militia groups etc, but
essentially it has one leader like the Catholic Church, Anglican church etc.
It also has a council that elects that leader like the Council of Cardinals
in the Catholic Church, Anglican Church etc.
So it does appear to be a cult due to the culture wars of late.
During the 1800's when it was founded it caused the numbers of adherents and
soldiers of the Salvation Army to explode due to its ease to understand, it
clear lines of authority, its global evangelical mission and especially
resonated within the culture of the UK.

Read mo
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_it_... xzz1huKliYQf

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to
operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone
who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some weeks ago, my church called for volunteers, to help clean up flood
damage in a town in my state. I was one of the men who went. While I was
working, a van came down the road, offering folks water, and pulled pork
sandwiches. I don't remember which church was named on the side, one of the
Baptists, if I remember. I had lunch with me, and plenty of water to drink,
so I declined. the five men with me also politely declined.

Not long after that, the Salvation Army van came along. The folks next door
asked for seven bottles of water, in a bag. Which they were cheerfully
given. I asked how much the SA was charging, and told zero. Just here to
support the workers. I did look at some web pages about cult
characteristics, and that doesn't sound very cultish.

I did find a couple web pages that insist the SA is a cult, but didn't offer
much evidence. One example of someone who was disciplined for marrying a non
SA person, but that doesn't prove it for me. Might have been other reasons
there, or it may be made up example.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to
operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone
who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I do a lot of telecom and computer network repairs in Walmart and Sam's
Club stores and they do keep track of everything in real time all the
way back to headquarters. It's a lot of fun riding an electric scissors
lift around in the stores pulling network cable or getting to one of the
several network cabinets up on the walls or poles around the stores.
The next time you're in one of the stores, look for a beige or white
steel box about the size of a big microwave oven up on several of the
support poles in the center areas of the store. Those boxes contain one
or more 19" rack mounted network switches and patch panels. There is all
kinds of network gear in those stores including a lot of WiFi stuff.

When they switched over from analog to digital CCTV for in-store monitoring
I got some great deals on Panasonic high-speed PTZ cams and 16CH
multiplexers for $30 to $50 each at auction.

As I am sure you know, they have virtually all critical area under the
watchful eyes of high-res cameras with pretty impressive zoom ranges. And
they actually have people monitoring the cameras, unlike other outfits.
That' OK with me. The more shoplifters they catch, the less they losses
that the customer invariably ends up paying.

What impressed me most is how well the trash bins and the loading docks are
covered. Shoplifting hurts, but employee theft can soon reach very high
dollars levels. A typical inside job consist of an employee who's about to
quit tries pushing a pallet of DVR's or other expensive stuff into the trash
to collect later that night (on his way out of town). Nine times out of ten
they'll be waiting for them because all that stuff is RFID tagged and
silently alerts security when a tagged item goes out in the trash. From
what I was told, they like making an example of those kinds of thieves to
the other employees, some of whom were probably hatching their own schemes.
I read somewhere that this year, gangs of shoplifters from other countries
descended on US shopping malls to execute highly organized shoplifting and
"fake return" scams.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Please define "cult" for me.

Hare Krishna?

Or followers of the Comet Hale-Bopp?

"...in March 1997, the cult Heaven's Gate committed mass suicide with
the intention of teleporting to a spaceship they believed was
following the comet..."

I saw the comet as my wife drove across the Sierra Mountains west of
Reno, but never converted.

Didn't those weenies self-castrate? Sometimes cults are good - they allow
Darwinism to operate at group rates.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

K-Mart did not allow Salvation Army kettle volunteers outside their

stores.
Walmart not only allowed Salvation Army solicitations, but tasked their
employees to ring the bell if not enough SA folks were available.

People notice things like that.

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to
operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone
who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Did you avoid airports that allowed Hare Krishna followers?

...just askin...

Ever see the movie "Miami Blues?" There's a great scene about dealing with
the HK's in airports.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in message news:4efbca1d$0$16517

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to
operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone
who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

A little ditty I learned a long, long time ago:

Salvation Army Band,
Salvation Army Band,
Put a nickel in the drum,
Save another drunken bum!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Logitec makes one as does Microsoft.

I have one..batteries in it are toast. One of these days Ill pop it open
and replace the batteries. The mouse sits in a cradle which is plugged
into a USB port..its both the receiver and charger.

Ill dig it out and post the model number if you want.

Might find one on Ebay.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Dec 2011 05:58:52 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams.
that's why their quality has changed.

Back in the early 1970s, the micrometers came from
Scherr-Tumico, and the runout indicator was a Starrett "Last Word"
(probably the worst instrument from Starrett at that time.) Not really
sure who made their combination squares, but they were pretty good.
Lathes at that time were from Atlas, both the 6" and the 12".

No idea who made the ratchet wrenches and sockets, but they were
pretty good back then.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I carried a mechanical digital 1" mic in my truck for years. I picked it
up at HF for ..hummm $19

I was visiting a customer and he just had to show me an identical
mechanical digital 1" mic from Sears, he has paid $109 for.

When I showed him mine..same box, same paper docs, same markings..and
the different price tag..he blew a nut at Sears.

Gunner

Gunner Asch
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

I have a Performance Mouse MX and it a) uses rechargeables, and will
charge over the same USB cable as my cell phone (nice!) and b) does have
an on/off switch. I used to have some older Logitech ones that weren't
like that, but one by one they all died, I think I only have one left.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 02:56:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Not long after that, the Salvation Army van came along. The folks next door
asked for seven bottles of water, in a bag. Which they were cheerfully
given. I asked how much the SA was charging, and told zero. Just here to
support the workers. I did look at some web pages about cult
characteristics, and that doesn't sound very cultish.

I did find a couple web pages that insist the SA is a cult, but didn't offer
much evidence. One example of someone who was disciplined for marrying a non
SA person, but that doesn't prove it for me. Might have been other reasons
there, or it may be made up example.

I don't care if they are considered a cult or not. They do more
charitable work and help more people with less overhead than any other
charity. 93% of each dollar goes to charity instead of the huge
overhead and big salaries that others have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What mice? I've been using Logitech wireless since they first came
out. Not anything fancy, just typical 3-button. Laser now.
Light is always on.
Always wish they had an on/off switch to save the batteries.
Using rechargeable, but it's a hassle changing batteries out pretty
often, maybe every 10 days or so.

--Vic

I have some wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard sets and the keyboard
batteries last much longer. I want a wireless mouse with a recharging
dock, it would make more sense. ^_^

TDD

My wife's computer has a Logitech with charging dock. It has been
working for about 4 years now.

We also have a MS mouse on a portable that has a switch. My MS mouse
will shut off if you pull the UBD receiver and put it in the bottom of
the mouse for storage, but I never do. I get months from the
batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't care if they are considered a cult or not. They do more
charitable work and help more people with less overhead than any other
charity. 93% of each dollar goes to charity instead of the huge
overhead and big salaries that others have.

I had occasion to observe both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army in
action during a hurricane. The Red Cross bought the combined output of 11
bread bakeries and five dairies in Houston and persuaded the local Coca-Cola
bottler to bottle hundreds of thousands of coke bottles with water (this was
before designer water). They opened countless shelters - with cots and
blankets and marshalled hundreds of Red Cross trucks for the area. In sum,
the Red Cross dumped tens of millions of dollars into the recovery effort.

The Salvation Army, run almost exclusively by volunteers, had mobile wagons
of coffee and donuts for the volunteer workers and distributed an amazing
amount of clothing to the displaced.

The SA probably spent $50,000 on their efforts, probably because that's all
they had.

In my judgement, the SA got a much bigger bang for their buck and the Red
Cross helped more people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 6:07*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
For a trip down memory lane into the long gone days of yesteryear, may I
take this opportunity to remind you all of: (among many others)

Korvettes
Ames
Caldor
Woolworth
Gimbels
Murphy's Mart (GC Murphy)
Zayre's
and of course, Montgomery Wards!

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Also Ben Franklin. E.J. Korvettes (Eight Jewish Korean Vets...this is
NOT a tasteless joke!)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 8:45*pm, Vic Smith wrote:

What mice? *I've been using Logitech wireless since they first came
out. *Not anything fancy, just typical 3-button. *Laser now.
Light is always on.
Always wish they had an on/off switch to save the batteries.
Using rechargeable, but it's a hassle changing batteries out pretty
often, maybe every 10 days or so.

--Vic

Newer mice (cheap) last months without switching them off!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 8:30*pm, gregz wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
On 12/28/2011 12:55 PM, Pete C. wrote:

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing.

Then you've gotten damn lucky with the HF tools. IME, they're garbage.

I had to return this set of snap ring pliers
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...s-set-610.html
because the points on the jaws bent, the first time I used them, to the
point that a snap ring wouldn't stay on them.

These punches
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...set-93111.html
mushroomed and bent on first use under gentle tapping.

and so on. Crap like that just doesn't happen with Craftsman tools.

Pittsburgh labeled, not too good, but my the two tool sets I just bought
are lifetime warranted. I bought a nice axe at HF. Wood handle made in us,
axe made in Germany.

Greg- Hide quoted text -

pittsburgh is just a brand name its a chinese product.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please define "cult" for me.

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too
small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD

Seems logical but I think it be culled?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 04:42:02 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa
wrote:

On Dec 28, 6:07*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
For a trip down memory lane into the long gone days of yesteryear, may I
take this opportunity to remind you all of: (among many others)

Korvettes
Ames
Caldor
Woolworth
Gimbels
Murphy's Mart (GC Murphy)
Zayre's
and of course, Montgomery Wards!

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Also Ben Franklin. E.J. Korvettes (Eight Jewish Korean Vets...this is
NOT a tasteless joke!)

My first credit card [1970] was Bradleys. Bought a $59 12" B&W TV
and stretched the payments over a year to establish credit.

Then there was the Two Guys. . . . I guess you could build a whole
website on the ones that came and went in the 60's--
http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60...res/index.html

When you look at how many have come and gone since Kmart began
[essentially1912 or so as Kresge's], they are doing pretty well.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On 12/28/2011 7:36 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

"Pete wrote in message
.com...

"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I
hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

[...]

So you're saying that the forged-in "made in USA" is a lie? Call the
FTC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's rather non cult description. No rich and revered leader in splendor,
while the peons starve. Come to think of it. Would North Korea be considered
a cult? Or Japan during the big war?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I don't care if they are considered a cult or not. They do more
charitable work and help more people with less overhead than any other
charity. 93% of each dollar goes to charity instead of the huge
overhead and big salaries that others have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the field report. I like the bottles of water concept.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

m...

Miss me? Steve B[_3_] Metalworking 5 February 22nd 10 04:40 AM
Sears Tools Stuart & Kathryn Fields Metalworking 42 November 20th 07 09:34 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Sears--Kmart--Craftsman Tools dteckie Woodworking 0 September 5th 06 11:10 AM
Sears-->Kmart-->Craftsman Tools Keith Nuttle Woodworking 25 November 22nd 04 06:16 PM