Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Sears, (now: Is Salvation Army a cult?)

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't care if they are considered a cult or not. They do more
charitable work and help more people with less overhead than any other
charity. 93% of each dollar goes to charity instead of the huge
overhead and big salaries that others have.

I had occasion to observe both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army in
action during a hurricane. The Red Cross bought the combined output of 11
bread bakeries and five dairies in Houston and persuaded the local Coca-Cola
bottler to bottle hundreds of thousands of coke bottles with water (this was
before designer water). They opened countless shelters - with cots and
blankets and marshalled hundreds of Red Cross trucks for the area. In sum,
the Red Cross dumped tens of millions of dollars into the recovery effort.

The Salvation Army, run almost exclusively by volunteers, had mobile wagons
of coffee and donuts for the volunteer workers and distributed an amazing
amount of clothing to the displaced.

The SA probably spent $50,000 on their efforts, probably because that's all
they had.

In my judgement, the SA got a much bigger bang for their buck and the Red
Cross helped more people.